Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
I am beginning a new game and looking for short and long-range weapon suggestions Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
I am beginning a new game and looking for short and long-range weapon suggestions Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

I am beginning a new game and looking for short and long-range weapon suggestions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jake Johnson
Khezu

Thank you Points : 0

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

I am beginning a new game and looking for short and long-range weapon suggestions Empty
PostSubject: I am beginning a new game and looking for short and long-range weapon suggestions   I am beginning a new game and looking for short and long-range weapon suggestions Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 9:38 am

As I said in my topic title, I am beginning a new game (in slot #2.)

I am entertaining suggestions for what my short-range and long-range weapons should be.

I would like to major in one specific style of short-range (SnS, Hammer, LS, GS) and long-range (LBG, HBG, Bow) weapon.

Do not only suggest a weapon class, but also give reasons.
Back to top Go down
PAiN---
Rathian
PAiN---

Thank you Points : 9

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): United States

I am beginning a new game and looking for short and long-range weapon suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Re: I am beginning a new game and looking for short and long-range weapon suggestions   I am beginning a new game and looking for short and long-range weapon suggestions Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 2:45 pm

This is kind of hard to answer because every weapon has different features and every hunter is different.

But assuming that you know how to use every weapon and know all features of them, I’ll throw in my two cents.

Short-Range: This is going to sound weird but my favorite “short range” weapon is the LBG. That’s right, LBG. You should never be too far with an Elemental LBG to begin with, but not too close also. With Evade Extender and Evasion +1/2, you should be able to get out of most sticky situations, and no, not 2 Brachydios. However, it’s different if your using the LBG for something other than Elemental shots, such as Status or Bombs.

Now you’re probably saying it’s a bowgun that doesn’t count as short range, or the weapons that you listed as “short-range” though you did forget Lance, Gunlance, and Dual Swords (unless you left them out on purpose).

My favorite Melee weapon to use is probably the Great Sword. First reason being that this was the first weapon I used in Monster Hunter. Second, is the high raw damage that it has. With weapons like Cera Cymmetry, Nero’s Anguish, and Blade of Talos, you can solo any monster with just raw damage.  If you want the true potential of this weapon, it comes from the GS Charge Lvl 3 and GS “Sniping.” Sniping is usually done with the Great Sword and Hammer, where you position yourself and time it so that you can land a GS Charge Lvl3. Defense wise, you are able to guard with this weapon. And you can do a quick guard with the GS while it’s unsheathed.

Long-Range:  HBG is my absolute favorite weapon to use long range hands down. To me this is the Great Sword of Ranged weapons. It can have very high raw damage, and since it’s a bowgun you can deal some pretty good damage output at a safe range. Whether you want the Limiter on or off is your choice. HBG is mostly used for raw damage using ammo such as Normal, Pierce, Pellet, Clusts, and Crag. You can probably tell by now I’m a fan of weapons with high raw damage xD

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/757PAiN?feature=watch
RupertKnight
Aptonoth

PostSubject: Re: I am beginning a new game and looking for short and long-range weapon suggestions   I am beginning a new game and looking for short and long-range weapon suggestions Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 3:57 pm

If you've never spent a lot of time with a Great Sword, I highly recommend trying it out. To me, there are no better moments in Monster Hunter than landing that perfect level 3 charge on a monster. It can be challenging to learn the timing, but it is so rewarding when you master it. Plus, imho, they are the best looking weapon in the game.

I love gunning too, but since I've only been using the light bow gun so far, I can't really give a reason to use one above the other.

Good luck with the new character!
Back to top Go down
Jake Johnson
Khezu

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: I am beginning a new game and looking for short and long-range weapon suggestions   I am beginning a new game and looking for short and long-range weapon suggestions Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 7:23 pm

Sorry, but I was thinking of my using my old standby, the Hammer again.

I like its damage amounts, the fact fighting with one is about "skillful placement of your shots, as opposed to just swinging blindly," and the fact some of the good ones have elemental skills - by that time, you know how to use one so well, you almost don't need elemental skills!

However, I challenged myself: go as far as possible using Hunter Armor only (although I can construct HR Hunter when I get to High Rank; and a G-Rank Hunter Armor when I get to G-Rank.)
Back to top Go down
Sai_
Seltas Queen
Sai_

Thank you Points : 19

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): U.S.A

PostSubject: Re: I am beginning a new game and looking for short and long-range weapon suggestions   I am beginning a new game and looking for short and long-range weapon suggestions Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2013 8:34 pm

Longsword can serve very well for short range weapons. Its damage output is fast with respect to its damage. You can also keep a red bar going with longsword because of the new spirit bar system, so it is recommended that you use spirit combos a lot, which is where the fast damage output comes from. You shouldn't be spamming the finishing spirit slash because when you go to yellow, you could always do a combo to go back to red, and spamming spirit attacks efficiently is how to effectively use the longsword.
Back to top Go down
Jake Johnson
Khezu

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: I am beginning a new game and looking for short and long-range weapon suggestions   I am beginning a new game and looking for short and long-range weapon suggestions Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2013 10:57 am

Thanks, but I was just about introduced to MH via the Hammer.

However, this time, I am at least trying out the other weapons; I sort of do like LS, or perhaps DS.

I'll probably make my Hammer my regular "go-to" weapon, but I will keep a LS on the side for doing things like tailcutting.

I just want to say this about the Hammer:

In my LR, four-star battle with Gobul, I did this (with a War Hammer +):

1) Catch him with a frog
2) Clobbered his lantern while he was floundering (yes that's a pun!)
3) In two or three charge pounds, I actually broke his lantern!

I then proceeded to introduce him to a fair fight; and a fair death.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I am beginning a new game and looking for short and long-range weapon suggestions   I am beginning a new game and looking for short and long-range weapon suggestions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I am beginning a new game and looking for short and long-range weapon suggestions
Page 1 of 1