Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!

Monster Hunter Wiki Forum

Monster Hunter information and General Talk

Get ConnectedHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) for 3DS

Share | 

How You Started Monster Hunter

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Verity19
Black Gravios

Thank you Points : 16

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code: 0619-6394-9770
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): North America

PostSubject: How You Started Monster Hunter   Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:14 pm

After having heard a few stories, I've become quite curious if perhaps people here might want to share their story. I would love to hear about your first Monster Hunter game, and your first large monster encounter, too, if you would like to share cat
For me, it started with the older of my two younger brothers buying a used Wii game with an interesting cover at GameStop a few years ago. Yep, for those who know the story, it was Monster Hunter Tri.
Believe it or not, at first, I thought it was just going to be another hunting game, thus causing me to, well, not play it, losing interest at the mere thought of it. After watching him play, however, the options to change your character's appearance (ex. hair color), the changable armor, the thrill of just watching... I made my own file and started my hunting career.
Of course, my first large monster was the Great Jaggi. Believe it or not, even though I happily go after Jho now and loved Ala hunts on Tri, when my brother said it was time for me to face "the first boss," I was scared to death. Took me a while just to face it, believe it or not, but I did ^^"
So, how about you? cat
Back to top Go down
PAiN---
Rathian

Thank you Points : 9

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): United States

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:53 pm

In 9th grade, my friend was talking to me about a sweet game that you hunt big ass dragons, and that you can use their parts to make awesome armor and weapons made of that monster. He said he plays it on PS2 and that I should try it out. The next day I bought MH for PS2 and have been glued to it since. I fell in love doing one of my first Gathering Missions until i saw a Rathalos. I saw it and pointed to it yelling at my brother to look, then it looked at me and charged me. I was a uber noob and had the base armor with the starter SnS. Also, I had to call my friend and make time to go to his house because I could not make a single Well Done Steak for the life of me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/757PAiN?feature=watch
Tomderdepp
Seltas

Thank you Points : 15

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): EU

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:44 am

my first encounter with monster hunter was as two of my friends were playing unite at school. (the first big monster i've seen there i think was congalala) so i watched them play and they told me how great of a game it is. but as a didn't have a PSP i culdn't get it. after some time i coincitentely saw the Wii version in a store but it was rated 16+ so i wasn't allowed to buy it at that time. so i waited a few months and finally got it.
i really liked the game but didn't play too much as our Wii is standing in the living room and the TV was occupied for the most time. (also i'm not too uch of a console player, just prefere handhelds plus it was summer so i was outside a lot)
so after some time i got the PSP with Unite, as i said i prefere handhelds, and started to play with my friends at school, and about every free minute at home so i had soon passed them and after a while was the one who helped them get forward...
got more into tri too after i got the PSP and strated facing the end of Unite.
so even though i started with tri i would call myselfe a child of the second generation
Back to top Go down
DarkShadowfax
Kelbi

Thank you Points : 0

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:03 am

I found Monster Hunter Tri when I was browsing through the gamestore at the airport. I first thought "Wow, that beast looks sweat. I must try this."
It took some time getting used to, but once I did, I loved it, and I got one of my best friends hooked.
I later bought a PSP and MHFU as well.
Now, I'm playing MHFU on my Vita and MH3U on my 3DS during lectures and train rides to/from university.

My first boss monster encounter was the Great Jaggi. At that time, I was still a big newbie and an avid fan of the sword&shield, so it took me ages to beat it.
Back to top Go down
Verity19
Black Gravios

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:12 pm

@DarkShadowfax wrote:
My first boss monster encounter was the Great Jaggi. At that time, I was still a big newbie and an avid fan of the sword&shield, so it took me ages to beat it.

I remember I started the game using the sword and shield... If I didn't beat the Great Jaggi with that, then it was the great sword or hammer I beat it with due to their strength attracting my attention for a while. I've always been one to check stats on games, even while I was still new to it and didn't understand the benifits and downfalls of the different weapon classes.
I was able to beat it on my first go against it, but that was due to my fear of this "first boss" causing me to over prepare, which included working on my armor and weapon, since we're able to do so a little bit at this point, with mining playing an important role here.
Back to top Go down
parasky
Jaggi

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:28 pm

My dad had purchased MH3 a couple years ago but stopped playing it in the tutorial stages. Then in 2012, I got a PSP and decided to purchase MHFU due to the good write ups it had received and the amount of content it had. I loved it and then purchased MHP3rd later that year and a Wii U and MH3U in 2013.
Back to top Go down
http://parasky.tumblr.com/
GobulHunterJames
Kecha Wacha

Thank you Points : 1

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): UK

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:34 am

Well first my cousin showed me Monster Hunter Freedom on the PSP and let me make a character, I spent 20 minutes trying to cook Well-done Steak. xD
I eventually got up to the Kut-Ku and I could not fight it at all, I kept getting killed by it constantly, I did eventually kill it and thought "I'll never fight that thing again". Nowadays a Kut-Ku is what I fight for fun.
I got better than my cousin at MH as he went to play different games I stayed with MH and found myself being the go-to guy for MH help from my brother & friends.
I've gotten MHF, MHF2, MHFU, MHT, MH3U and even the Monster Hunter on the iPod.
I still remember going on youtube to ask for help on how to beat the Gypceros, my "advice" was to use Rathalos weapons, and how am I supposed to get Rathalos Weapons before the Gypceros? Eventually the guy said he took away my hunters license. xD
To be honest, I found it wasn't the Gypceros that was the problem, it was the Bullfango.
Anyways I've played MH ever since then.
Back to top Go down
Win32error
Lead Admin

Thank you Points : 89

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:03 pm

Saw the trailers for MH3, saw some SD videos with gameplay, sorta had to get it after that, didn't I?
Back to top Go down
Verity19
Black Gravios

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:37 pm

@Win32error wrote:
Saw the trailers for MH3, saw some SD videos with gameplay, sorta had to get it after that, didn't I?

No doubt about it! There are some great videos out there that just make it so difficult not to buy the game, from what I've seen since I started playing cat
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis

Thank you Points : 284

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): US

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:07 pm

It all began on a dark stormy day in Korea.

Thunder roared through the heavens above me shaking the ground as if an angry beast were set lose upon the world. Lightning flared across the dark sky and a downpour began. I pulled my trench coat closer to me and walked into a covered alley way that was brightly lit with little shops. Many people dashed in and out of the small make shift stores, small bags in tote. Adults, teens, even small children no more than three or four I would guess on cell phones, some laughing while others looking as if they had just made a deal with the devil but that’s how it was in Seoul’s electronics market. Not all areas were like this, if I took a right at the next bend I would be at a large building that housed many stands with people from all over selling just about anything you could think of from iceboxes with light boxes in them to wash buckets with iceboxes today though I was here looking for something to pass my time.
“당신은 섹시한 영화를 원하는” I wasn’t looking for that kind of time to pass.
When I came over here with the military I brought very little just a ruck sack with my military items and nothing else. The PX at the base I worked on sold a PS2 though and I decided to get it though they didn’t really have any games for it. I decided to take a train north to Seoul, about a 3 hour trip, where I knew I could get some games from just about any country I wanted. When I left the weather wasn’t too bad but I had decided to bring along my coat anyways the temperature had been dropping slightly and something about it just felt strange to me. I’m glad I brought it along.
I ducked into one of the shops attached to one of several building making up the shopping district here, most of the buildings were actually quite nice but a few of the smaller alleys were full of people just competing to sell whatever they could to make whatever profit they could. I didn’t mind because I knew several of the venders quite well and actually spent some time with them after their shops closed eating with them and their families. “Kong, how are you.” I said in my broken Hangul. “You know if you weren’t so pale I’d almost think your accent was natural.” He replied. “And if you didn’t hate Americans I’d think you were serious.” I joked back to him this time in English.
“What can I help you with?” He asked me and I let him know I was looking for some PlayStation 2 games. Of course the first ones he offered had some Asian girls on the front not wearing anything.
“Do you have any real games?” I asked, “I can always go to a real store.”
“You can be so mean you know that.” He showed me a few American games, it had been a while since I had played anything so I got a couple of random ones and a couple of gundam games as well but there was also a newer one he had that had just recently came out with a picture of a big red dragon on the cover. Not like I could understand most the games anyways so I got about 6 or 7, sat there for a bit before meeting up with a few friends I know would be arriving later and then went back to my base the next day.
It was actually a few weeks before I got around to actually looking at the game and I clicked quickly through most the talking. The controls were mostly confusing and I wasn’t sure what I was doing when I came up to this big grey cow thing when I first saw it but I just started swinging at it and after killing several figured out I could collect things from it. I really didn’t get far into the game as I was too busy most the time and by the time I left Korea in September I gave my system to someone so I wouldn’t have to take it back with me. I kept most the games though. When I did get back I decided to go ahead and buy a new system after several months and get a few English games, by now it was 2005 and around February or so. While out looking for game I noticed that same red dragon staring at me. Instantly I had to get it. I asked someone at the store about it and of course they didn’t know anything neither did anyone else I asked even those who actually played games. I didn’t use the computer any nor did I ever go online with it so that was pretty much all I would know for quite a while but I played it. I still had trouble with it as playing games and working all the time didn’t fit together well. But I enjoyed it. Then one day a friend of mine with a psp asked me if I ever heard of a game called monster hunter….
Back to top Go down
Verity19
Black Gravios

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:43 pm

^Definitely a start I can imagine one would put in a book or movie, except the game would instead be some ancient, mysterious item or something that would play a huge role...
Like the others here, though, and the ones I've heard outside of this thread, I really enjoyed reading this. Quite a start cat
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:57 pm

Wait till I tell you about the first time I traveled to India in the 1400's!

Last edited by dcj91x on Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Verity19
Black Gravios

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:02 pm

^Seems you've still got more surprises left for story telling, huh? Even with the 1400's part on there, one can't help but be curious as to where you'll go with it xD
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:03 pm

Story telling? You're funny.
Back to top Go down
Verity19
Black Gravios

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:17 pm

^I wasn't meaning that like it's fake, now; stories include recollections of true events, also.
I know my dad tells lots of stories, for example, of his past, like the time him and some buddies, while they were going to this very same college, hid one night to catch a glimpse of the meat boxes before the college could get rid of them. My mom agrees that the meat here was poor (could even see "the whip marks" on the meat), and she's far from a joker. The boxes said "grade D but edible," and my dad's newspaper buddies broke the news from an "anonymous" source, causing uproar in this city, which soon fixed it cat
So, yeah, stories aren't always fiction.
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:44 pm

So is it now grade d+? and did yhey ever find out what kind of meat? Is it monster meat? Also.. you read to much into what little I said about
@dcj91x wrote:
Story telling? You're funny.
I just thought you were cute how much you enjoy everyones tales. It's nice to see and refreshing.
Back to top Go down
Verity19
Black Gravios

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:01 pm

^Don't remember what it is now, grade-wise, but I do know my parents said the meat was horse, which now it's the usual, like cow. Monster would make for a nice change, though, I'm sure xD
Yeah, I read too much into it... I'm never sure how to respond with some comments, especially since I have no clues ^^"
I always do enjoy listening to everyone's stories, though, especially since it lets you get to know them better, plus it's a fun way to pass time cat
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:16 pm

Though it's Taboo here in the states Horse meat is actually more nutritious than cow and in the 70's and 80's was mixed in much of the ground meat in school and fast food places. Especially if it was imported from South America. Most places now have that sticker that says "100% ground beef" that's actually why. Most European countries still use ground horse meat over ground beef but a lot of people don't know that. Believe it or not in the US the cattle industry funds a lot of money to keep horse meat out of the US and to have laws aginst it here. But.. lets not get too far off topic. I'm going to go slaughter a few unicorns in MH since there's nothing wrong with that ;)
Back to top Go down
Verity19
Black Gravios

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:27 pm

^That's really interesting to hear, especially since my dad graduated in '85, my mom graduated in '87, so they were in college in that time period >.>
You have fun with that unicorn hunting xD

All this talk about meat... I can cook great well done meat easily on MH now, but I used to cook majority rare when I started. In my hunt against my first Great Jaggi, I believe I stuck to just using rations still, which is how I used to do it, rarely ever bringing my own meat on hunts... The Tri servers changed that, though, after I started going online cat
Back to top Go down
GobulHunterJames
Kecha Wacha

Thank you Points : 1

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): UK

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:27 am

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:38 am

Yea.. just a bit.. So back on track with a shiny new train.

what are some other peoples MH origin stories?
Back to top Go down
IBGenius
Rhenoplos

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3ds
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): United States

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:01 am

Dad gave me a psp. It had mhfu with it.
Back to top Go down
TheLaw

Thank you Points : 10

3DS friends code: 0748-2193-3471
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Australia

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:06 am

I got into Monter Hunter when my brother got Tri for the Wii, I watched him hunt and gave him pointers here and there (despite not knowing what I was doing) so I created an account and took it up myself, hunted offline for a year, then I was given the ability to go online, met friends and enjoyed the experince, it spurred me to get MH3U to continue that, little did I know that I'd become a fairly seasoned hunter
Back to top Go down
http://mhwiki.forumotion.net/u3769
Cambell
Aptonoth

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:05 am

I started MH, like many others, on the Wii with Tri. The local game store advertised it heavily and I bought it, being really excited by the videos and such. I got home and played it non stop for about a week. I got up to the barroth and simply couldn't beat it, so I gave up.

Funnily enough, I came across a video by the Teamworkcast guys completely by accident, and realized that I NEEDED to play this game and get past what I got stuck on. I learned loads from watching their videos and then got MH3U on the 3DS, and played for ages on there before getting it for the WiiU (which I bought for MH3U only!).

I need a break from it every now and then, but it is still an awesome game Yes by vort
Back to top Go down
Raptor98
Jaggi

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:44 am

Saw some videos on YouTube for MH3U, had to buy it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How You Started Monster Hunter   Today at 7:35 am

Back to top Go down

How You Started Monster Hunter
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next