Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Great Sword mechanic changes Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Great Sword mechanic changes Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Great Sword mechanic changes

Go down 
+5
mrpogo
dcj91x
Ares
Lucas
Antari18
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Antari18
Seltas Queen
Antari18

Thank you Points : 9

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

Great Sword mechanic changes Empty
PostSubject: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 10:06 pm

So i came across this little video showing something which i never saw earlier. Infinite sword-slap combo with GS?

Spoiler:

Can anyone put some insight about this? Is it some sort of hack/glitch or legal new GS combo? If so it'll add a lot of mobility to this weapon.

Also i really hate that literally everyone focus almost entirely on new weapons, namely Insect Staff and Charge Axe, rather than put some light on changes to the old weapons like my main - GS. Despite the fact that the game is released for some time now, it's so hard to find anything about older weapons...
Back to top Go down
http://gbforever.net
Lucas
Rathalos
Lucas

Thank you Points : 63

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Generations
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use):

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 4:22 am

Looks like a simple dodge attack some weapons already have, such as SnS and Swaxe.
Back to top Go down
Antari18
Seltas Queen
Antari18

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 6:19 am

Yes but it's definately something new unless i don't know how to do it in current instalments :P

The point is - he uses downward slash, follow with slap - than roll - and after uses immediately slap - roll -> slap etc.

In 3U for instance it's impossible because after roll you can't go instantly into slap. You have to use kick first.

GS combat is pretty much locked in small range. Chasing fleeing monster is a pain. This could be something new for GS. Situational and probably dmg from slap is nothing to be proud of but still.
Back to top Go down
Ares
Seregios
Ares

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): US

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeWed Dec 18, 2013 7:55 pm

They've changed the older weapons a good bit too. You can now immediately start charging a SP after rolling with the hammer, they've added a spirit slash after the fade slash on Longsword, they've added an additional slash for the SA sword mode X Combo, they modified the X+A attack on sns, and they've changed the controls for bow a lot so you can hold R to charge your shots and use the CPP to aim. And not to mention they've added mechanics for jumping for every weapon. Dual swords and sns have epic jump animations, as well as the lance charge off of a ledge. And for bowguns and Gunlances, doing a jumping attack will reload your weapon as well as give you a chance to ride the monster. I haven't used the hunting horn yet, so I'm not sure how much it's changed.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/AresTheAwesome?feature=mhsn
dcj91x
Fatalis
dcj91x

Thank you Points : 284

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2013 11:10 am

^ sounds like they put a lot of thought into how the controls work overall and especially for the 3DS.
Back to top Go down
mrpogo
Aptonoth
mrpogo

Thank you Points : 0

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeSun Dec 22, 2013 4:27 pm

Antari18 wrote:
So i came across this little video showing something which i never saw earlier. Infinite sword-slap combo with GS?

Spoiler:

Can anyone put some insight about this? Is it some sort of hack/glitch or legal new GS combo? If so it'll add a lot of mobility to this weapon.

Also i really hate that literally everyone focus almost entirely on new weapons, namely Insect Staff and Charge Axe, rather than put some light on changes to the old weapons like my main - GS. Despite the fact that the game is released for some time now, it's so hard to find anything about older weapons...

You could do that on Tri.
Its been a long time since i played tri but if i remember it was X+A on classic controller
Back to top Go down
PAiN---
Rathian
PAiN---

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): United States

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeMon Dec 23, 2013 2:55 pm

mrpogo wrote:

Its been a long time since i played tri but if i remember it was X+A on classic controller

You can slap and roll on Tri, but you cannot slap > roll > slap. On MH3 and MH3U, after a slap you can either roll, or go into a charged attack, not slap > roll > slap. If you don't downslash, you have to kick in order to go into a slap. What the video shows is the player doing a downslash > slap > roll > slap > roll.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/757PAiN?feature=watch
mrpogo
Aptonoth
mrpogo

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeMon Dec 23, 2013 4:06 pm

PAiN--- wrote:
mrpogo wrote:

You can slap and roll on Tri, but you cannot slap > roll > slap. On MH3 and MH3U, after a slap you can either roll, or go into a charged attack, not slap > roll > slap. If you don't downslash, you have to kick in order to go into a slap. What the video shows is the player doing a downslash > slap > roll > slap > roll.

Yeh good point. Thought you were all just talking about the slap. Thanks for the info
Back to top Go down
Antari18
Seltas Queen
Antari18

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 6:15 pm

Well after thinking about it for some time, i think this opens many new opportunities. You can go to curved level 3 slash (smash charge) pretty much from every possible position when your GS is unsheathed. Adding to the fact that now you can follow it with this powerful horizontal attack with a power of another lv3 charge slash, brings us to conclusion that sheathing your GS in MH4 could become less important.

Just roll -> slap and start charging -> follow by this new horizontal attack = big dmg.

Of course with that you lose crit draw ability so maybe CE+3 would work better this gen? Also Evade+1 to help avoiding without steathing GS. Looks kind of interesting although i'm used to tradicional CD,S+1, Ear Protection, Focus sets and playstyles.
Back to top Go down
mrpogo
Aptonoth
mrpogo

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 8:01 pm

Well I have actually been using the GS on MH4 and it does have some other new attacks apart from the slap roll.

I hope people remember what i mean here.......

When you perform that combo where you unsheathe your weapon and go diectly into a vertical slash, followed by a slap and then followed by the arcing attack you can now follow that up by hitting a very powerful horizontal slash. Super powerful if you get the time to do it.
You can also hit this powerful horizontal attack after jumping off a ledge, attacking a monster in mid air using a vertical slash and then when you land on the floor you can hit the powerful horizontal slash.
Its hard to describe with text so I hope i explained it well enough
Back to top Go down
Antari18
Seltas Queen
Antari18

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeFri Dec 27, 2013 9:03 pm

Yeah that's pretty much what i meant by "powerful horizontal attack" after smash charge. You can perform it also after jumping from the ledge - yes. It got one drawback which is that you can't cancel it out by rolling and it leaves you open to any of the monster attacks for good amount of time. This makes it risky but also very rewarding because i heard that it's power can compete with Lv3 charge. I like it because this mechanic makes it balanced.

Someone should try speedrun something with using only smash charges and this new attack (rolling, slaping and going for smash+new finishing attack) and than compare it with traditional hit'n sheath GS strategy. I wonder what results'll be. Of course there're many different factors to concern but still.

Here at 1:17 is a perfect example of this new possibilities which i was talking about. This adds a LOT to GS mobility.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
mrpogo
Aptonoth
mrpogo

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2013 12:16 am

Never found the mobility a problem. You just sheath the weapon as you said.
Back to top Go down
PAiN---
Rathian
PAiN---

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): United States

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2013 1:21 am

It wasn't, but this new way of using the GS delivers a lot more damage than previous gens. You get the most out of your greatsword from the charged attacks. The new mechanics in MH4 increase the speed at which you can use these charged attacks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/757PAiN?feature=watch
mrpogo
Aptonoth
mrpogo

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2013 10:52 am

Oh so you play on MH4 then? You can add me and we can go hunting if you like? Or are you just telling me what you have seen on videos?
Back to top Go down
Antari18
Seltas Queen
Antari18

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2013 11:51 am

Lack of mobility IS a huge deal on GS - and that simple fact makes it balanced. Of course there're ways to work around (CD, sheathing it etc.) it but remember - you're attacking with your GS unsheathe. If you sheathe it you're basicly running around looking for a opening. You measure mobility of a weapon by playing with it when it's unsheathe not the opposite.

However there has to be some limitation of this new move because as you can see in vid above, it's rarely used by those japanese players.
Back to top Go down
mrpogo
Aptonoth
mrpogo

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2013 12:09 pm

No its not a huge deal because you can sheath and run. It causes me zero problems.
Back to top Go down
Antari18
Seltas Queen
Antari18

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2013 12:43 pm

Listen, we're talking about facts here. GS is pretty much the slowest weapon when it comes to walking around with it, the only competition is HBG, SwitchAxe Sword mode, Charge Axe in Axe mode. That's what i mean by so called "mobility". Running with weapon sheathe is the same with all weapons. I really dunno what you mean by "mobility" than.

Also as i mention above there're obvious methods to avoid it such as sheathe and run etc. However that does not change the fact which i include in the paragraph earlier.
Back to top Go down
mrpogo
Aptonoth
mrpogo

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2013 12:57 pm

Ok so by mobility you mean having the ability to jog whilst your weapon is unsheathed.
Who the hell jogs around with their weapon unsheathed? Over a long distance I can reach my target faster by sheathing my GS than someone who jogs to it with a sword and shield. Over a short distance I can reach my target faster by rolling than someone who jogs with a sword and shield.
The only advantage a weapon has that you are able to jog with is the fact that you consume less stamina by jogging than you do when rolling.
Back to top Go down
Antari18
Seltas Queen
Antari18

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2013 8:20 pm

Well i don't know how important in this case is who "jogs around with their weapon unsheathed", but i do with certain weapons like SnS (because i don't have to sheathe it to use items), Duals, Hammers, LS, Swax, Bow, HBG, LBG, Lance, GL and of course HH. I really see no point in having certain weapons sheathed like Lance or GL tbh. The only situation which require you to sheathe your weapon is to reach monster in the long distance i.e. when it's moving to another area. In battle monster in most cases glue to you like crazy, so i see no point.
Back to top Go down
mrpogo
Aptonoth
mrpogo

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeSat Dec 28, 2013 8:43 pm

and I dont see the point in having them constantly unsheathed but I guess everyone plays differently.
Back to top Go down
Ares
Seregios
Ares

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2013 1:29 pm

Just get evade extender and shut the hell up. It's easy to get on that Narga mail lazy set (4 torso ups) pogo, I hate to sound rude be because you've only recently become active, but you're fighting an unimportant argument. Anyone can sheath their weapon and call it mobile, speed sheathe and the ledge trick mh4 introduced make that easy. That doesn't make it mobile though. Anatari is correct in that "mobility" is movement while your weapon is unsheathed, but it's also how fast you can sheath without the speed sheath ability. That's why HBG and Charge Axe/Switch axe are so immobile. They take way too long to put away. Quit trying to sound smart, and if you decide to be a smart ass like you were to Pain, I've got my copy of MH4 right here next to me.

Rage by sipax
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/AresTheAwesome?feature=mhsn
mrpogo
Aptonoth
mrpogo

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2013 4:02 pm

We were having a discussion. The amount of posts doesn't give you any sort of right to try and stamp your authority on the situation.
Oh and yes you are being very rude. (be polite. MHWF)
Back to top Go down
Jader7777
Cephalos
Jader7777

Thank you Points : 2

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use):

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 8:46 pm

I believe Speed Sheath + Critical Draw has made the Great Sword a total pleasure for me to use.

All the weapons in MH4 have additional mobility now, the game is a lot more movement based thanks to the extra jumping and climbing mechanics.
Back to top Go down
Warruz
Kelbi
Warruz

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 11:40 am

Just on a General note, does anyone have videos of all the other weapon changes? Its on thing to read them but would like to see them in action.
Back to top Go down
Antari18
Seltas Queen
Antari18

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 8:35 pm

I'm dying to see such vid but after a bit of reaserch, nothing pop up.

I guess everyone's just too busy doing more important stuff like testing new weapons, doing the same playthroughs with new weapons etc. And it has always been like that. Unless some japanese players make it, no one will from western players. There're few dedicated players out there who of course got copy of 4, but all they do is useless playthroughs with the same weapons, uninspired armors with random skills etc. I wonder why they do that?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Great Sword mechanic changes
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next