Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!

Monster Hunter Wiki Forum

Monster Hunter information and General Talk

Get ConnectedHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) for 3DS

Share | 

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tomderdepp
Seltas

Thank you Points : 15

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): EU

PostSubject: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:45 am

"Code Name: S.T.E.A.M" is a turn-based strategy game for the 3DS that will be released on March 13th in NA and May 15th in EU. It works a little like Fire Emblem (only very remotely) but insted of having an overview over the whole battlefield you play in 3rd person veiw and can only see what's in your line of sight, also the main focus is on stealth and surprising your enemy.

The game has a Steampunk-Comic mashup kinda style and has you save the earth from aliens by controlling members of a special unit that works directly under Abraham Lincoln.

Even though the game only releases in March/May Nintendo has put a demo for it on the eShop. The Demo gives you the chance to try out the first two missions of the game and lets you transfere collected coins to the full game.

My experiances with the demo:
The graphics and the artstyle look really great, the graphics look actually a lot better in the game than in the trailers (even the 3D trailers on the 3DS). Voice acting is also done really well.
Gameplay wise it is really fun: each character has a certain amount of steam each turn. Each action like walking or fireing a weapon uses steam so you need to plan ahead accordingly. An interesting concept is the "overwatch": if you end the turn with enough steam to fire your weapon, you will automaticly attack an enemy as soon he moves in range of your weapon during the enemies turn (not all weapons can do this though).
All in all it's a really fun strategy game that doesn't really feel like a strategy game, but more like a 3rd person shooter.

PS: the full version will be compatible with the Fire Emblem amiibos. they will unlock the corresponding character in the game (and propably some special missions for them too)
Back to top Go down
MetaMarx
Rajang

Thank you Points : 16

3DS friends code: 4382-2261-9491
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:27 pm

Just played the demo, and I really don't like it at all. I'll describe it in a few words: XCOM but wonky.

Yeah it's marines vs aliens... except the art style and 3d models for the characters look awful. The camera is also pulled in really close so that you can't see anything. This means that you get to stare at your character's ass for twelve years while the opposing team's turn happens. I understand that they don't want you to know the location of all the aliens, but their turn takes quite a long time, and you cannot skip it like in Fire Emblem.

Another gripe I have is with the actual shooting. Whenever you take a shot, there is some invisible aim penalty that you can't really see, and nothing seems to change it. Your range for shooting enemies is also rediculously short. If you see an alien, you'd think you'd be able to shoot it because you have a gun, but nope, you have to get in its face. At least the aliens don't wear glasses, because their vision is terrible too. For some reason, Nintendo really tried to drive home this overwatch mechanic even though it isn't new or exciting, and it works pretty badly. For some reason, your aim isn't further penalized when shooting from overwatch, and you can shoot multiple times out of overwatch. Yup. Multiple times. If an enemy tries to shoot at you after you've overwatched them, you will be able to shoot them AGAIN from overwatch. The same goes for you, the player, and an overwatched enemy. Trying to best an enemy in overwatch is a gigantic pain in the ass. some characters don't stand a damn chance against an overwatched enemy.

So basically mechanics, art style, and the fact that I don't really like steampunk have driven me from this game.

Also Marth's voice actor is really bad hahahahaha
Back to top Go down
Chipou
Kecha Wacha

Thank you Points : 9

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:59 pm

@MetaMarx wrote:
For some reason, your aim isn't further penalized when shooting from overwatch, and you can shoot multiple times out of overwatch. Yup. Multiple times.

Overwatch is based on your steam. That in conjunction with they have to actually be able to see them and their slow as hell aiming balance it out pretty nicely. as for countering it, in the demo atleast theres usually a way of staying out of their sight and attacking them. Either by going around, quickly running and shooting (there's a short grace period), or just use john henry.

My only complaint so far is the enemy turns give radiant dawn a run for its money.Like holy hell, even where there weren't any opponents it still took like 10 seconds to go back to my turn.
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis

Thank you Points : 284

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): US

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:55 am

I actually really like the art used for cutscenes and battles. It add more of a steam punk, alternate world feel to the game. Also it looks a lot better in 3D than with the 3D turned off. I can only assume it had the "new 3ds" in mind for the game more than older ones.

The controls on some things were odd but since it was a demo I'm not too worried as they are mostlikely changable in the actual game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Code Name: S.T.E.A.M   Today at 7:18 pm

Back to top Go down

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1