Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!

Monster Hunter Wiki Forum

Monster Hunter information and General Talk

Get ConnectedHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) for 3DS

Share | 

Want to start using bow!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Takeshiren
Aptonoth

Thank you Points : 0

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Want to start using bow!   Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:25 am

Hi all,

I'm a keen IG/Hammer user almost in HR and I'm getting fairly bored of melee weapons, being a bow user on 3U a little I wanna swap over back to it, but I feel I was AWFUl in 3U and would like some help if anyone can advise please!

1) Any general bow tips? - Such as what to expect and what kind of playstyle I should use, obviously with Hammer and IG they play very differntly to me.

2) What bows should I make in low rank? And what armour is best for bows? - I'm at Caravan 5 for reference.

3) Also how do I tell where critical distance is? - One thing I never understood about bows is "Critical distance" could anyone explain it to me?

Thank you all!
Back to top Go down
Jojozityjo
Fatalis

Thank you Points : 155

3DS friends code: 3754-8725-9197
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

PostSubject: Re: Want to start using bow!   Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:54 pm

ive rather familiarized myself with bow in 3u and this game. Right off, as for armor in low rank, i really havent seen any low rank armor that is outright ideal for bow yet. Id say probably either velociprey or gypceros armor. Velociprey armor gives good atk bonus, and you can never really go wrong with adding more raw power. Gypceros makes you drain less stamina for holding charges, which without that, you cant spam lv 3 charge shots indefinitely, and we all know, the more often you can do good atks, the better.

One thing ive learned the hard way, it pretty much doesnt matter what a bow says it's lv 1 and 2 charge is, even if the lv 1 charge is something like pierce lv 3 while charge 3 is just scatter lv 1. Always do the highest charge you can. Cause only doing charge 1 is essentially robbing you of half your dmg while charge 3 is giving you well over 100% dmg, so you actually gain more dmg from going the full 3 charges, no matter what the arrow types are. So you wanna always be charging and not be fooled by bows that say their lv 1 charge is the highest arrow type. And remember, you can run around easily while charging so it's not hard to avoid monsters then release a good lv 3 charge atk on them as they rush by.

The critical range, is usually about 3-6 backhops from the monster depending on the arrow type. Pierce is long, Rapid is medium, Spread is close. And you can tell you are getting the critical range bosot when a flash of light flickers from your hit, the same as when your affinity kicks in when hitting with a melee weapon.

As for bow types, idk all the bow types yet, i tend to worry about that later and let raw skill carry me to a point i can sit comfortibly. But, you always wanna know your monster and try to go for a bow with the elemental weakness. Bows do compliment a lot from elemental dmg. Which elemental dmg is also effected by charge level, more so than raw dmg imho. If not element, you might want an arrow type that you can sit more comfy with the monster with. Like if you're fighting something that is up in your face a lot, you might benefit more from spread as you'll be closer a lot. Where is if you fight something that likes to be all over the place and stay away from you, you would benefit much better from pierce type arrows
Back to top Go down
Jakdaw
Kelbi

3DS friends code: 1564-5219-5741
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): United States

PostSubject: Re: Want to start using bow!   Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:14 pm

This is great info! Thanks, Jojo!

One note regarding the "Charge" attack types. It seems that each type is affected in some way... for example, Pierce and Spread shots increase the # of arrows fired with each Level. Raw damage is still affected as far as I can tell, so Jojo's correct in that Level 3 Attacks are often best. That said, in advanced stages of the game, it might be worth staying aware of your attack options, especially if your bow is equipped with different types.

I can't really speak to the "best armor", but I recommend the Tigrex Archer as soon as reasonably possible. It trades Affinity & Elemental Damage for a unusually high Attack stat, which makes it a really good "fire and forget" weapon. Combined with a reasonable selection of coatings (Exhaust-Boosted, Power, Blast, Paint), and nothing but Pierce-based attacks, it does solidly against nearly all monster types, and does great as a soloist's Bow. In multiplayer, the efffectiveness of the bow appears to be a bit diluted, but it's still a decent choice for raw damage output.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Jojozityjo
Fatalis

PostSubject: Re: Want to start using bow!   Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:13 am

np jak ^-^. Pierce actually fires 1 arrow at all pierce levels, but higher pierce levels makes it have a higher hit cap. I say hit cap cause the arrow will only continue doing dmg if it's still in the monsters hitboxes. EX. Pierce lv 4 hits about 5 or 6 times, but if you shoot the thin part of a rathians wing, it might only hit 1 or 2 times before it passes through the hitbox, where is if you shoot it through the face from infront, it'll pass through the face, neck, body, maybe even tail, leaving plenty room for all hits to connect.

Spread type fires more arrows per arrow level in a wide 'spread' but the middle arrow hits the hardests, the sides hit weaker and weaker the more there is.

And Rapid shoots up to 3 or 4 arrows in a line, with the extra arrows falling lower than the initial arrow, which the initial, or top, arrow, hits the hardests, with the rest hitting weaker, just like spread.

But yeah, you want to get off as many lv 3 charge shots as possible cause it's just a massive dmg boost, where is lv 1 charge is only half the power of your bow, so even if the lv 1 charge arrow is one you prefer, you'll still be doing less dmg in the long run if you just keep using charge 1.
Back to top Go down
Jakdaw
Kelbi

3DS friends code: 1564-5219-5741
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): United States

PostSubject: Re: Want to start using bow!   Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:31 am

Heh, just now noticed I said "Pierce & Spread" instead of "Rapid & Spread". nervious

Appreciate the clarification. Hadn't had a chance to experiment and figure out the funny little details (like which arrow did the most damage).
Back to top Go down
Crystalis
Najarala

Thank you Points : 26

3DS friends code: 3909-8402-8213
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Want to start using bow!   Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:35 am

Is it worth getting Load Up over Focus? I've heard sometimes that the longer charge time isn't worth the slight increase in damage, but what if the 4th charge changes the shot type, for use with different kinds of monsters?

Specifically, I've been eyeing the Amatsu armor with the Ceadeus bow.
Back to top Go down
X Kitsune X
Bnahabra

Thank you Points : 8

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Want to start using bow!   Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:54 am

@Crystalis wrote:
Is it worth getting Load Up over Focus? I've heard sometimes that the longer charge time isn't worth the slight increase in damage, but what if the 4th charge changes the shot type, for use with different kinds of monsters?

Specifically, I've been eyeing the Amatsu armor with the Ceadeus bow.

I actually really dislike Load Up as a skill, since it slows down your attack speed and drains more stamina (charging the arrow for longer) for what is a menial damage boost in most situations. Obvious exceptions with stuff like the Akantor Bow which only has 2 charge levels at base.

Regarding the Ceadeus Bow, I'd personally stick with the Lv3 charge - Pierce 5 is good for large, water-weak monsters like the Gravios, but Scatter wins out against stuff like Brachy, since it's easier to just pelt the side of his back than get head-tail shots. Scatter gets a bigger damage bonus from Pellet Up as well, which is nice.
Back to top Go down
Jojozityjo
Fatalis

PostSubject: Re: Want to start using bow!   Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:55 pm

Load Up is a decent option, it does give a nice amount more dmg, not as much as from lv 2 to 3 charge, which is about 40% or so, but the more dmg is nice. However if you can get focus over it, id defo go with it, faster lv 3 charge shots will outdo having to wait for lv 4 charges.

The reason i say this is cause sometimes in battle, you cant just sit and spam charge, sometimes while your charging(often if solo) you gotta move around to avoid getting hit, so if you are holding the charge for that lil bit longer, than load up is worth it if you got nothing else lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Want to start using bow!   Today at 2:55 pm

Back to top Go down

Want to start using bow!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1