Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Bowgunning hurts my head! Can anyone help? Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Bowgunning hurts my head! Can anyone help? Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Bowgunning hurts my head! Can anyone help?

Go down 
+3
X Kitsune X
Ataraxia
thatcolourblindgamer
7 posters
AuthorMessage
thatcolourblindgamer
Kelbi

Thank you Points : 0

Bowgunning hurts my head! Can anyone help? Empty
PostSubject: Bowgunning hurts my head! Can anyone help?   Bowgunning hurts my head! Can anyone help? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 8:33 am

Hi all!

Curious about branching out to bowgunning as it's totally different from blademaster and hey... guns yo.

I just don't know where to start! Is bowgunning good for solo? Should I go LBG or HBG? What should I do? How should I act? So many questions!

If anyone could help me with some bowgunning tips! I'd appreciate it <3

Also what guns/armour should I be making? I don't know what skills I should be going for!!! Please any help I'd appreciate it so much!

Thank you!
Back to top Go down
Ataraxia
Rajang
Ataraxia

Thank you Points : 33

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): England

PostSubject: Re: Bowgunning hurts my head! Can anyone help?   Bowgunning hurts my head! Can anyone help? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 10:34 am

First of all, I'm not much of a gunner and can't really answer all of your questions, and I'm also a tad short on time right now, but there are a few great gunners on these forums who I'm sure would add their thoughts.

Gunning is definitely good for solo, as with any other weapon type. It's a bit more expensive since you have to constantly stock up on ammo, and I would assume a bit more grindy since, depending on whether you choose LBG or HBG, you may need to collect certain items for elemental shots or pierce shots etc. It's not a deal breaker though, and there are plenty of ways to get around it if you really want to gun.

LBG generally has much less raw than its heavier counterpart, in exchange for being more maneuverable, quicker to sheathe, and with a greater array of shot options. LBGs focus mostly on elemental damage and status damage, though there still a couple of examples of raw LBGs such as the Seregios gun. With this weapon type, you'll want to collect a gun for each element, and if you so desire, a gun specifically tailored for paralysis and/or sleep, which can be very effective in a group.

HBGs focus on raw damage, they're slower, less maneuverable and are more akin to a portable heavy weapons platform playstyle; set up, unleash hell. They rely on 3 shot types, Normal, Pierce and Pellet. Pellet is a little more uncommon than the other two, and AFAIK isn't really recommended for regular use. Normal is essentially straight up bullets, shoot, hit monster. Done. Pierce hits targets multiple times and can really shred monsters when used right. (By far my favourite) There are generally a few HBGs that are outright the best in each field, Normal, Pierce and Pellet, though there are usually some exceptions that can make for more general use.

With bowgunning, a key point to remember is the critical distance, a set distance away from the monster from which your shots will do the most damage. In other words, if you're spooning it, you're not gonna do much; if you're trying to snipe it, you're not gonna do much. Naturally this means you're gonna be rolling a hell of a lot in order to not get wiped out due to your lower armour value; and in order to stay in position.

Specific armour and skills I can't really provide help for with any kind of certainty unfortunately, though AFAIK, Element Atk Up is great for LBG, and the relevant Normal/Pierce/Pellet Up for HBG (and the few raw LBGs) are pretty much mandatory. You'll also want to consider Evade Extender for obvious reasons. Load Up can make or break certain guns, though you'll want a more expert insight on this.

Lastly, this pastebin, though written for 3U and so slightly out of date, is a great help for getting to grips with the mechanics, controls and what to look for in bowgunning.

Good luck, and have fun gunning! I know I had a blast in 3U when I started shootan things.
Back to top Go down
X Kitsune X
Bnahabra
X Kitsune X

Thank you Points : 8

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Bowgunning hurts my head! Can anyone help?   Bowgunning hurts my head! Can anyone help? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 10:45 am

Hi!

Bowgunning is an incredibly fun and satisfying way to play - a good light bowgunner can keep a monster locked down for minutes on end, and a good heavy gunner can drop a monster's health faster than any melee class in the game - both really fun ways to play!

The most damage-focused gun is the heavy bowgun, which makes it a good solo weapon damage-wise. Light bowguns tend to focus more on status, although there are a select few light guns which are more damage focused (Rapid fire elemental shots are good, also CoughSeregiosLBGCough)
The most important thing to remember about gunning is that each bullet type has an optimal range where it will do the most damage - I use bow myself so I'm not familiar with these ranges, but if you're in the sweet-spot for your bullet type, your screen should shake slightly whenever you land a hit. Bullets do SIGNIFICANTLY more damage at their optimal range, so your goal in combat should be to maintain the right range for the bullet you're using, and unload into the monster when you are.

I can't speak much for armors yet (I'm just looking for my gunning set in 4U now), but I do know some skills that will help you get the best use of each gun Yes by vort

LBG
- Recoil down: Amazing for status-based guns, since powerful status shots like Para Lv2 have a massive recoil. Works well for Clust and Crag stunning too, as well as rapid firing recoil-heavy shots like Dragon S.
- Bonus Shot: Damage wise, this is one of the best LBG skills there is. Rapid Fire on the LBG will fire extra shots of a given type without consuming any extra ammo (eg, Rapid Fire with Normal S Lv2 will fire 3 shots, but only consume 1 ammo), and Bonus Shot simply adds another shot to each Rapid Fire Barrage (2 becomes 3, 3 becomes 4, etc.) Great damage boost.
- Element Atk Up: With the LBG's focus on elemental damage, element up is a real handy skill for it to use. Combined with Bonus Shot on a gun that rapid fires elemental shots, you'll be pumping out hella damage.

HBG:
- Evade Extender: Quite possibly the most important skill for HBG, due to its low movement speed unsheathed, and slow sheathing/unsheathing time. This allows you to dodge away from incoming attacks and reposition yourself for high-damage shots much easier, and helps a whole ton.
- Normal/Pellet/Pierce Up: HBG's use these 3 bullets as their primary source of damage, so these are the go-to skills for damage boosting. Normal and Pierce Up will boost the power of their respective shots by 10%, whereas Pellet Up is a 30%(!) boost. Moreover, since these are percentage damage boosts, they work REALLY well on high damage guns, like guns with their limiters removed.
- Critical Eye: HBG's combine high attack speed with high attack damage, making them crit hard and crit often. It's worth mentioning that if you fire a bullet that crits, all hits of that bullet will be critical too (every tick of a pierce shot, or every pellet in a pellet shot), which can ramp up damage seriously quickly.

EDIT: Expanding on what Ataraxia said, Normal shots level 1 and 2 are simple "maek boolet hit monsturr), whereas Normal shot level 3 hits a monster once, then ricochets back off of them. More damage if you can hit areas where the ricochet itself will hit the monster, but trickier to use than other shot types.
Back to top Go down
Sephastus
Tigrex
Sephastus

Thank you Points : 32

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Generations
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Bowgunning hurts my head! Can anyone help?   Bowgunning hurts my head! Can anyone help? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 11:45 am

The above posts have good advice, however, my suggestion would be to go blademaster first, and do some gunning later.

I started MH as a gunner, so I am speaking from experience. First, your hunt times are at least double that of a blademaster starting out. Only once you have reached some higher armor and weapon tiers will you be able to out-damage blademasters, and that is ONLY up until you run out of the ammo that is causing the extra damage.

Case in point. Black Gravious is pretty tough for blademasters due to the high amount of close range explosions and effects it has, along with it having higher defense. But a gunner with a water weapon on rapid shot and elemental up can easily kill it in under 5 minutes before he runs out of water shots.

So, yes, the gunner is a VERY powerful hunter, but later in the game, and not initially. You can get overly frustrated initially if you go gunner, since you will always be taking double the regular damage at a time in which you are going to be getting hit ALOT.

Go blademaster, and learn how to dodge and fight, and then make yourself some gunner armor/weapons, and try it out on the monsters you have already learned. Just my 2 Zenny.
Back to top Go down
Samochan
Seltas Queen
Samochan

Thank you Points : 37

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use):

PostSubject: Re: Bowgunning hurts my head! Can anyone help?   Bowgunning hurts my head! Can anyone help? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2015 2:43 pm

There's not all that good gunner sets early in the game as opposed to blademaster ones... and then there's the fact that gunning is a lot more expensive than being a blademaster, just because you have to replenish ammo after each quest. Then there's also that gunners have half armor that of a blademaster, which for a beginner hunter isn't all tha advisable..

However, gunning in general is pretty awesome if you know what you're doing and not trying to shoot a monster from a mile away in "safe hill" location with normal shots.
Back to top Go down
Lucas
Rathalos
Lucas

Thank you Points : 63

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use):

PostSubject: Re: Bowgunning hurts my head! Can anyone help?   Bowgunning hurts my head! Can anyone help? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2015 5:49 am

Always eat for Sharpshooter for a free 10% boost(So you can go for any Gunner armor early on n slap the Normal Shot boost on it with food skills). Learn what the weakspot for the monster you're about to hunt are and actually aim at it. Saves you ammo,zenny and time.
But if you don't like aiming I do too suggest going Blademaster first as you can just do whatever on a hunt and get away with it.
Back to top Go down
th8827
Cephalos
th8827

Thank you Points : 2

3DS friends code: 0533-4039-4608
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): United States

PostSubject: Re: Bowgunning hurts my head! Can anyone help?   Bowgunning hurts my head! Can anyone help? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2015 5:59 am

I have not played Gunner recently, but back in MHFU, I managed to solo up until G Rank Yian Garuga as a Heavy Bow Gunner, so I say that it is possible to do so. Just kind of hard, due to your inability to take as many hits.

Unlike other armor pieces, Helmets can be worn by either type of weapon wielder, so if you don't mind gemming to replace alt skills, a "Blademaster" helm can give you an extra boost of defense.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bowgunning hurts my head! Can anyone help?   Bowgunning hurts my head! Can anyone help? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bowgunning hurts my head! Can anyone help?
Page 1 of 1