Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!

Monster Hunter Wiki Forum

Monster Hunter information and General Talk

Get ConnectedHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Members: Please read post in "Member Introduction and Announcements" titled 'Forum Changes'. Thank you

Share | 

Forum Changes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MHWF
MHWikiForums

Thank you Points : 21

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code: 4468-1021-0797
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): US

PostSubject: Forum Changes   Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:53 pm

Hello everyone. I would like to start off by thanking the great Moderators and Admins we have had over the years and express how grateful I am to all the hard work they have put into this forum and making sure it ran smoothly. Next I want to thank all the members we have had and those who have been faithful and steadfast in their love of Monster Hunter on which this forum is based.

A little history:

The MHwiki Forums was created on Friday, August 29th 2008 as a way for visitors to the Monster Hunter Wiki to get together and talk about their favorite game… Monster Hunter! While not officially together both provided a much needed service to fans.
In 2010 with the launch of Monster Hunter Tri in the West I became the new forum owner and the MHWikiForum saw a massive leap in new members (almost tripling the amount who joined from 2008-2010) thanks to the popularity of Monster Hunter Tri. The popularity of Monster Hunter in the west steadily rose over the next couple of years as did the amount of members and active posters on the forum.

Unfortunately ‘all good things must come to an end’. With the move away from individual fan sites for communication and towards more active social media, many forums to include us saw a decrease in active memberships and traffic. Most non-official gaming sites have shrunk down to its core members with little new activity.

Times change and we too must change with it. The question now is, “How should we change?”

While Monster Hunter has always been and will always be the core of this forum, we would like to get your ideas and opinions on things you would like to talk about and do on the forums in the future. The changes won’t be in hopes of attracting more members but to provide more for the members we already have.

Some example:

Ability to post a blog
Sections for all gaming, console/computer/table top games/collectable card games ect..
Other popular culture areas...

Please keep in mind not “everything” that is suggested will happen or is possible but give us your (APPROPRIATE) suggestions and how you think adding it to the forum might be nice.

Thank all of you for your time and being a part of this great forum.
MHWF
Back to top Go down
http://mhwiki.forumotion.net
Jojozityjo
Fatalis

Thank you Points : 155

3DS friends code: 3754-8725-9197
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:26 pm

corect me if im misunderstanding, but are you saying if we dont make changes to bring in more people or more interest, the forum will have to shut down?
Back to top Go down
MetaMarx
Rajang

Thank you Points : 16

3DS friends code: 4382-2261-9491
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:43 am

I think one of the things that hit our traffic the hardest was not being linked to the wiki anymore. Maybe we need a complete re-brand. Can we even do that? The name doesn't really make sense anymore, so what's the worst that could happen?
Back to top Go down
TheLaw

Thank you Points : 10

3DS friends code: 0748-2193-3471
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Australia

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:10 am

@Jojo: No, he's not directly saying that, it's more the point that since MH3U/Tri we've dropped considerably in terms of traffic, new members and the like, so it's more of the fact that we want to bring more attention to this forum and help new members if we can with the monster hunter franchise.

Also, we're talking about expanding our fanbase, but meanwhile and hopefully keeping Monster Hunter as our core focus.

However as MHWF has mentioned, a lot more viable substitutes have appeared, a lot of people are using different forms of social media and desktop clients for such things, i.e. with the introduction of MH4U a lot of people made the move to a VoIP service as it's easier to commune through that, rather than the text on the handhelds; which also furthermore reduce traffic.

If we can keep the forum going and generate new interest then we wouldn't have to "close" the forum or the like, and personally I don't see us going down that road, however it would be easier to generate new interest for games similar to Monster Hunter or Action RPG, in order for people to utilise the features that we can here provide.

As MHWF also stated "As times change, we must change with it" As things like Discord, or Skype, and other things become popular we could always host a chat/server there for members to talk and discuss there, however, it is a question of "HOW do we change?"

Staff members are already aware, and we decided to ask you - the general community for your input in shaping us for the future years to come.
Back to top Go down
http://mhwiki.forumotion.net/u3769
MHWF
MHWikiForums

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:58 am

Good way to put it Law! But for everyone remember, "The changes won’t be in hopes of attracting more members but to provide more for the members we already have."

Any changes will first and foremost be for current members and their interests. If the changes bring in new members that's a 'secondary' plus.

so no jojo:

@Jojozityjo wrote:
corect me if im misunderstanding, but are you saying if we dont make changes to bring in more people or more interest, the forum will have to shut down?

@Meta: believe it or not we actually had more members after we were no longer directly linked to the MH wiki. So no big part there. Main thing is what Law mentioned. Discord, Skype, facebook, twitter... All those things have been the biggest hurtle for us. (and on some aspects they can be incorporated into the forum.)

But to answer your question Meta, yes. We can rebrand, change, pretty much do as we want. This has been discussed between the staff members as well and some ideas have been tossed around.

Main thing, We still want to be an online home where you all can come and feel like your around friends but open up to more things you want to talk about and are interested in.
Back to top Go down
Jojozityjo
Fatalis

Thank you Points : 155

3DS friends code: 3754-8725-9197
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:13 pm

ah okies, well im glad the forum isnt shutting down.

im for the change of renaming ourselves away from "MhWikiForum" and having links or such to stuff like facebook and twitter if possible.
Back to top Go down
MetaMarx
Rajang

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:17 am

Another thing that could help is that we could make the forum look cleaner. The icons at the top still look bad and I've never been a fan of the background images. The other forums I visit don't have any background at all and it's fine.

The chatbox is also a thing that most people probably never looked at or even knew existed. It was always the same people who were there. Having a Discord server is a good way to keep everyone together. People would be more inclined to chat and stay with the forum.
Back to top Go down
Tomderdepp
Seltas

Thank you Points : 15

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): EU

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:32 pm

I agree a Discord server woud be a great way to get people to join and stay.

Also a rebranding could be nice too seeing as the wiki hasn't really been a goto place for MH information since several generations now.
Back to top Go down
Sephastus
Rathian

Thank you Points : 31

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Generations

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:00 pm

changes are not something to be taken lightly, so I appreciate the moderators and admins seeking the input of us forum goers, even though they have the rights to do anything they wish to their product.

With that said, the GOAL of this forum is what has to be properly directed. While we are bound together for the love of our preferred IP, what has seen the most feedback day to day, and week to week, is the social aspect of it. The people...

What I will assume this means to us, is that, we will have to expand on that aspect of our presence, without compromising the original goal of this forum (maybe not original, ... wiki and all... but what it became).

We are a social gathering of people that express interest in a game, while we stick to it because of the social bonds that were formed. We, therefore, will need a way to expand socially to both energize our people, and to attract others to our group.

All that ^ is just alot of hot wind if I cannot provide some sort of concrete suggestions. So I will be meditating on what can be done on the days to come. But for now, here are a few somethings that I feel might be interesting:

1) Develop a MH Guild.
We are all pretty much independent players. We sometimes do hunts with other buddies, but these are not as exhaustive as they could be. Nor do people feel they belong to a special group when they are part of it. With that, my suggestion is the creation of a guild for members of this forum. To be part of it, would be very simple: You have to be a member of the forums, and 2, you have to have the Guild Tag, somewhere along your char Name. This tag can be anything we agree upon. From something as simple as MHW-Sephastus, to Seph`{MHW}' etc.

Additionally to that, we can have social tags, like the titles we have now, awarded to the person's current contributions, or levels. We can have weekly scheduled play sessions (dependent on people's time schedule, these can be done at 2 differing times throughout the same day), as well as any unscheduled play sessions that guild members can make.

There could also be a "monthly" goal for the guild members to get to. For example, have a total guild level (combined HR of all members) that reaches xxx.

These are just some ideas for what a MH Guild would be like. Much more can be added if we go this route.

2) Combine our presence with a social media outlet.
Many people that would otherwise join us, do not do so because they do not know of us, or see our forum as otherwise dead. However, if we do create a page on some social media websites, with links to our official forums, as well as advertise the current month's goals, and other things to ramp people up, both the current members, and those who join after the fact, would be quite happy to constantly check up and contribute.  

*Before I move on, we might need to have a serious discussion on how to rebrand the website. While MHWiki Forums was good for a while, we might have to change this to reflect who we want to be moving forward, without alienating our current base. I do not want to be the one to make this decition though. I will suggest, however, that this be based around a "Guild" name that we want to represent us. It will then be easy for us to say: "Guild Name" Forums. And our social pages could be able to reflect this as well. It will also make it so that if we do make a voice chat service, that people have a reason to use it, other than just talk junk. The rooms could be based on the in game room you are participating in. And trust me when I say, it is much more efficient to shout "Move away!!", instead of doing the in game beep right before Teostra nukes that area. lol

Ok, getting back to work. I will add more ideas as the week goes on, but I would love some feedback to see where we can go with this thing.

Edit: Also, how about a "Highlight of the week"? Forum members can upload their prefered hunts, where something amazing happens, or it can be based on a theme for that week, like Deviljho Intrussions, Kirin Fights, Best Counter etc, and then once being reviewed, it could be cut short to a small GIF, and placed on the top Banner. or otherwise put on the appropriate forum or social link.
Back to top Go down
MHWF
MHWikiForums

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:32 pm

!. Discord is out as it is not something usable on forumotion.

2. Youtube, Facebook, Google+, Twitter and "mobile Sharing" are supported. (to some extent)

3. I use to hold MH Play events for the forum and local areas. First several times went quite well and had a good participation, then pretty much that was it. Last one we help only a few participated in so quit doing them. (FYI: I contacted several other web sites for the first few and got them involved as well. By the last one those other sites were pretty much gone.)

4. Any final decision for better or worse I will make and take any negative consequences. Anything positive I'll blame on you all ;)

5. I like my background and logo.. So there :p Also Red helped come up with it...
Back to top Go down
Sephastus
Rathian

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:43 am

So... how about turning this then into the "Hunter" forums...

What do I mean?

There are many more hunter type games out there than just Monster Hunter... probably not as fun, but still. For example, God Eater, Ragnorok, Phantasy Star etc.

Not all of us have those games, and by expanding that way, we do dilute ourselves, but it is a way to cast the net a little wider.

In other news... I like God Eater 2 Rage Burst.
Back to top Go down
MHWF
MHWikiForums

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:52 pm

@Seph: Would that include Deer Hunter and fishing games as well?
Back to top Go down
Will
Rathalos

Thank you Points : 45

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 'Murica

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:15 pm

@MHWF wrote:
5. I like my background and logo.. So there :p Also Red helped come up with it...

Regardless of whether or not you like it doesn't change the fact that the entire forums look is reminiscent of a website made in geocities. I do think it would be a huge deal to do a total re-branding, we aren't actually linked to a wiki anymore, so why are we "the wiki forum?" Modernizing the entire lay out might give the illusion that the forum hasn't been dying slowly and could help draw people in.

My main suggestion would be to stop letting "Guild Adventure" host his soft-core hentai here. The content he produces doesn't really seem to be in line with your idea that the forum should be a friendly place for people of all ages. I might be more willing to ignore him if the erotic aspects of his work were part of a grander story. But they're not. He just draws tasteless naked women and tacks on a defining characteristic of a monster. I sincerely believe cutting his content out of this forum could be a huge boon to it's success in the long run. If you want to pair up with content creators pair up with respectable ones that do content that's more earnestly related to the game.
Back to top Go down
Sephastus
Rathian

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:58 am

Is that what goes on in Guild Adventure? lol, never once been over there.

By the way, this forum has 2 looks. There is the one that I don't like, and the one with the Rathalos sword in the background, and a dark brown background with white letters.

I suspect the "geocities" look is the one I don't like.

As for livening up the forums, That is something that we can all do if we really wanted too. Not everything has been said and done about MH, and we don't have to be ummm... so focused on not repeating an old conversation. Some new people might want to come in and contribute something new.

I think the "wiki forums" part might have sentimental value to the admins, but it might be time to let it go... although, that would require a change to the forumotion link.

Anyways, admins have to realize that some of us are in it for the long haul, regardless of what they decide to do.
Back to top Go down
MHWF
MHWikiForums

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:18 pm

@Will: Thing with guild.. Though loosely his material is still Monster Hunter related and he overall is contributing to the actual forum. ... I can't say that for too many others as the only thing that is being posted by 'several' is the speak your mind thread which has NOTHING to do with the forum overall. Technically that section was created to keep non-relevant conversation out of the MH sections.

Not saying anything negative either way just making a comparison.

@Seph: The only backgrounds should be the MHWF Rathalos Great sword logo and the Mobile forum site. If there is anything else it might no be viewable on all computers and is a site issue.

As far as being a "Wiki" forum, technically we are a wiki ourselves. we have basically the same functioning as a wiki but lean more towards the chat side of things.

One of the biggest drawbacks for us however is that we are not regularly updated due to not having the members regularly updating.

Basically the only section that is kept up (by the members as it needs to be) is Guilds section. While I am more than open to adding other sections you all feel is more relevant there would be no point if someone does not provide the content for it.

Again, we can do just about anything we feel would be worth doing but it depends on the members to actively do stuff... Kind of a catch 22. You have to have interesting material to attract members but you have to have members to add interesting material.
Back to top Go down
Chips
Shagaru Magala

Thank you Points : 108

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Sun

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:58 pm

Once MHXX is out, I'd be down to make a Discord to find people to hunt with.

PS: Yea, I randomly visit time to time... hai :O
Back to top Go down
Tomderdepp
Seltas

Thank you Points : 15

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): EU

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:38 am

I'm not so sure if you should dismiss a Discord server only because it can't be tied into the forum directly. A Discord server associated with the forum might still help get new people interested and keep them invested.
Back to top Go down
MHWF
MHWikiForums

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:34 am

@Tomderdepp wrote:
I'm not so sure if you should dismiss a Discord server only because it can't be tied into the forum directly. A Discord server associated with the forum might still help get new people interested and keep them invested.

Been done before. Facebook, Twitter, and youtube also... Problem is you need someone to actively keep those up and that doesn't really happen.
Back to top Go down
Sephastus
Rathian

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:38 am

Hmmm... yeah, "actively keeping up" is a problem for me too... Ideally, I would love to put up a gameplay video every so often showing a fight or a technique... but 2 problems... I don't know how to do those recordings, nor have I ever put up any youtube video. >_< And I am supposed to be a techy lol

We could use the doublecross release as a stepping stone, as was mentioned by others, to usher in more participation.
Back to top Go down
MetaMarx
Rajang

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:50 pm

Videos wouldn't work too well because most people here probably don't have a modded 3ds or capture card. Camcorders being pointed at your screen are also really ugly and hard to watch, so you'll probably recieve very little in submissions.

You also keep dismissing Discord even though this comfy little server Verity made still gets activity and discussion every other day or so. Discord makes it way easier to set up play sessions with buddies. I don't see how a link at the top of the forum would be a bad thing.
Back to top Go down
MHWF
MHWikiForums

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:32 pm

@ Meta... How does it help the forum though? Sure a link at the top can be done but doesn't that lead people away from the forum? Kind of defeats the purpose.

One of the things we've always shied away from was external sites and competing forums linked in posts. Though we use to do several play events with other sites and forums.

With Youtube, Facebook and Twitter they can actually be integrated into the forum for the most part. Forumotion does not have anything for discord however.
Back to top Go down
Verity19
Black Gravios

3DS friends code: 0619-6394-9770
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): North America

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:13 pm

@MHWF wrote:
@ Meta... How does it help the forum though? Sure a link at the top can be done but doesn't that lead people away from the forum? Kind of defeats the purpose.

One of the things we've always shied away from was external sites and competing forums linked in posts. Though we use to do several play events with other sites and forums.

With Youtube, Facebook and Twitter they can actually be integrated into the forum for the most part. Forumotion does not have anything for discord however.

Honestly, I'd say using any other platform has the potential to "lead people away from the forum" just as much as it has potential to lead people to it..?

You use YouTube, for example, to, sure, post some videos from people here or whatnot, but then you've got them on YouTube looking at videos, and a lot of us have a tendency to stray while on there. I just honestly use it for music, and if you leave a video alone in a tab, it switches to another video after, and again, and so on; you end up at a different spot than where you started. Rather than letting it run, heck, I could choose to just click a different one entirely and lead myself astray on my own. You can post videos from there here, too, but still can lead one to videos unrelated to the forum.

With Facebook, you use that and you're directing people over there, or you're trying to direct them here, but with it being a different social platform, you risk people preferring Facebook over here, regardless; people already use it frequently, if at all, for things; why switch to here when people from here are coming to Facebook for you..? The way Facebook works, too, you've got pms like here, you can post stuff there like here, their instant-messenger is similar to this site's... I'd say it'd be riskier there than Discord, especially since you can use Facebook for keeping up with people here plus people for other things in other parts of the site.
Personally, I don't use it at all unless I need to, since it kills my laptop's speed, so if that happened, my appearing here or ever within anyone from here's sights isn't going up any x:

I have a twitter, and I'm honestly unsure of how you'd "integrate" that into the forum..? It's a spot for just kinda posting things (with a small character limit), reblogging, liking posts, following people... What would you even put on there..?
Sure, a link to here, but then what, it just sits there and hopes for attention..? Announce MH game releases when they happen/are announced..? If it isn't active, it'll lose followers; you'll have to figure something out to keep it active. Honestly, the twitter may end up dying pretty quickly if you can't frequently make posts there, even if just reblogging, but you'd probably want to figure out a focus for the twitter so it isn't just "reblogging anything we want despite being a MH twitter", and especially if you're wanting the forum to somehow be the main focus.

Honestly, there's no harm in a Discord, possibly about the same amount as any of those other options mentioned... Several sites use it, but you don't see them dropping it or thinking it's killing their traffic.
It's easy to organize, I've even got a link to here in the one I made, there could be a spot for events added, I'm probably gonna be advertising the Discord server in another Discord server I'm in if they go with their plan to make an advertising channel in their server...
Honestly, I'm liking what I'm reading from Sephastus and thinking it'd be easy to incorporate their ideas into the Discord.

I'm not saying "go for Discord and that'll fix everything"; it isn't that easy (though I will admit, a server I'm in has people Google if there's a Discord specifically for the site and that server shows, we have over 600 members there. Discord's becoming a popular spot online).
I'm concerned that while it's being tossed aside, these other sites which would also share the same issue you're pointing at Discord with are just going to do the same deal you're worried Discord will, if not just end in some other poor manner.
Back to top Go down
MHWF
MHWikiForums

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:24 pm

@Verity19 - I only use those as an example since Forumotion has them as part of the forums. Something that can be utilized on the forum without leaving it.

And to clarify.. At no point have I dismissed discord or anything else. This is a discussion and I do have to point out where some things may help or not help. There's a lot to think about.

Also, in case you didn't know we do have the ability to do "blogs". I have a test one set up for Admin and Mods to try out... Nothing really special overall.

And if you all look down at the bottom of the forum I have had links set up for Capcom, MyfairHunter and others for several years now.
Back to top Go down
Verity19
Black Gravios

3DS friends code: 0619-6394-9770
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): North America

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:27 pm

Honestly, I clicked the twitter one and it opened an entirely-new window for it, so it honestly still works the same as if I was on twitter instead, or on it in another tab... It doesn't really seem to actually be "integrated" into the site, from the definition of integrate that I know. Sure, forumotion provides a little icon, but that little icon just opens up that specific site in another window, so that honestly leads you away from this site, it switches your focus to that new window.

The way you've responded to the idea of discord, honestly, it comes off as if it's already been decided as a no, despite that, from how I'm seeing it, using it would be the same as if you used, say, Facebook. Sure, no fancy icon at the top of the site, but that's really the only difference between trying to use it and some of those other options..? If you really consider it, they all lead away from this site. I press one of those and have another window opened for it for me. Even if it was just a new tab, I'm being redirected from the forum to the other site.
All the options have good points, but they all have their flaws. If you're wanting something that won't "lead people away from the forum", you really can't rely on any other site, then, from how even those linking icons at the top work. The Facebook, twitter, and Google ones all open a new window leading to those sites, that "@" one leads to a blank new tab with some random stuff in the address bar, and the last one opens a new tab that looks like a broken site for me, just a bunch of random coding, a few readable sentences, pretty much what I've seen messed up redirects result in...

Not sure how the mentioning of the blog deal is really relevant to what I said, though... I mentioned how twitter works, it's pretty much just a short-post, reblogging, liking-type deal... that's the only time I really mentioned blogging, when I mentioned reblogging on twitter...

Also not sure how the mentioning of those other links is relevant, either... It's nice they're there, for those who use them (I haven't, not even when I was active here, but that's me), unless you're trying to imply that's a spot another link could be stuck that forumotion doesn't have a fancy icon for. If that's the case, then I don't see why you were replying to Meta as if linking a discord would be such a problem.
Back to top Go down
MHWF
MHWikiForums

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:53 pm

^ not everything was directed towards you. Just the information directly after the "@Verity19", everything else is additional information for everyone (in general). Not everyone is aware of all the information and the discussion is about forum development overall not just one aspect or element.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forum Changes   

Back to top Go down

Forum Changes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next