Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
MHWF, let's hunt together!

Monster Hunter Wiki Forum

Monster Hunter Related Topics and Discussion

Get ConnectedHomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Capcom hosting a contest for the west to have a fan made event weapon in MH4U!
Smoke Bombs: What they do and how to use them 5 5 2
Share | 

Smoke Bombs: What they do and how to use them

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rook
Rathalos

PostSubject: Smoke Bombs: What they do and how to use them   Fri May 14, 2010 10:33 am

Alright everyone, since pretty much EVERYONE online thinks smoke bombs are useless it's time to educate you all in their usage.

Smoke bombs are NOT just used to sneak into an area, although that is definitely a good use for them. Here is a list of reasons and usages for smoke bombs (not in any particular order)

1) Sneak into an area.
-> Want to drop some poison/para/sleep meat into an area? As soon as you get in, drop a smoke bomb. You will then be able to go in a fair distance, drop your meat trap and bail. Wait for a bit before going back in.
2) Extended blindness.
->You know when you throw a flash bomb and monsters tend to attack aimlessly for about 5 seconds or so? Smoke bombs extend that behaviour. For about 25-30 seconds. Long enough to get through a Ian or Barroth rage. Try it with the different monsters to see their behaviour. I ran to Uragaan to make sure he wasn't immune and he most certainly is not.
3) Preparing a sleep attack.
->When a monster limps away, follow him directly and drop a bomb as soon as you get in the area. He should still head over to sleep. You can now prepare for the sleep attack (Large barrel bombs, etc...) quicker and more effectively.
4) Bailing out of an area.
->Ever had a huge need to get the heck out of an area with a monster following you? Of course you have. Smoke bombs will stop that pursuit.

I wish more people would understand this so I don't get the completely ignorant "Smoke bombs? Really?" statements. The worst part is EVERY time someone insults me because of my smoke bombs we end up slaughtering the monster because they aren't attacking us. Nobody puts 2 and 2 together (the answer is 4, btw).
Back to top Go down
Renwold
Jaggi

PostSubject: Re: Smoke Bombs: What they do and how to use them   Fri May 14, 2010 11:57 am

How many smoke bombs do you usually throw down before monsters start missing attacks? I had good luck the first couple times I used them against smaller monsters, but I tend to stop carrying them since I've thrown down four or five in succession and still been gunned down with pinpoint accuracy by rathian and rathalos. If you're purporting that just one will do the trick, then I'd say it's worth giving it another shot, but if you need to use more than two to be effective, I'd rather save my inventory slot.

Still, I agree with this post; use the tools that you're provided with.
Back to top Go down
http://automatedsweettalk.blogspot.com
Jojozityjo
Admin

Monster Hunter Information
WiiU ID: 20
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Smoke Bombs: What they do and how to use them   Fri May 14, 2010 12:13 pm

i knew most of this, but the blindness part, sounds like you mean once a flashbomb kicks in, a smoke bomb will make its effect last longer yes?
Back to top Go down
Rook
Rathalos

PostSubject: Re: Smoke Bombs: What they do and how to use them   Fri May 14, 2010 12:13 pm

1 shot will do.

But I guess it would be critical for me to mention that just like flash bomb after-effects. It's not guaranteed to happen every time. Don't drop more than one at a time. I'm pretty sure if they managed to see through the first one they will continue to do so. Wait until the smoke is clear and try again.

I would say (rough guesstimate) that there is a 75% chance of it working. Although there seems to be a greater chance of them missing with certain attacks. Charge attacks seem to be affected the most, so maybe that's what went wrong with you. Maybe their projectiles aren't that affected by smoke. Continue your normal dodge routine for projectile attacks.

Maybe we just figured this all out. Perhaps smoke bombs work 100% on some attacks but 0% on others. Try again and see if you have more success when they charge right at you.
Back to top Go down
Rook
Rathalos

PostSubject: Re: Smoke Bombs: What they do and how to use them   Fri May 14, 2010 12:14 pm

jcnbuck5 wrote:
i knew most of this, but the blindness part, sounds like you mean once a flashbomb kicks in, a smoke bomb will make its effect last longer yes?

No, it just has a similar effect as when monsters start blindly attacking after a flash bomb.
Back to top Go down
Jojozityjo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Smoke Bombs: What they do and how to use them   Fri May 14, 2010 12:19 pm

ah, alright then, thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Shardik
Kelbi

PostSubject: Re: Smoke Bombs: What they do and how to use them   Fri May 14, 2010 12:22 pm

off topic but somewhat related:

Can you do a thread like this for barrel bombs? The other day I employed a large barrel bomb but nothing was happening... I thought it would trigger if the monster ran into it a.k.a. mines, but they don't.... so how do you trigger them?
Back to top Go down
http://www.dgerards.net/
Rook
Rathalos

PostSubject: Re: Smoke Bombs: What they do and how to use them   Fri May 14, 2010 12:24 pm

Gah, I wrote one all up but the forum ate it.... I'll do another
Back to top Go down
BT Esq
Deviljho

PostSubject: Re: Smoke Bombs: What they do and how to use them   Fri May 14, 2010 12:27 pm

Shardik wrote:

Can you do a thread like this for barrel bombs? The other day I employed a large barrel bomb but nothing was happening... I thought it would trigger if the monster ran into it a.k.a. mines, but they don't.... so how do you trigger them?
Quick answer, certain attacks will trigger them - obviously fire balls, I think tail swings, Gaans jaw/head slams - I thought charges too, but maybe not.

Otherwise, you can self trigger by throwing an object at it (e.g. stone, throwing knife, not sure if throwing bombs - flash, sonic, dung, etc. will trigger) or just shoot it if you are a bowgunner.
Back to top Go down
Renwold
Jaggi

PostSubject: Re: Smoke Bombs: What they do and how to use them   Fri May 14, 2010 12:33 pm

Paintballs will trigger large bombs; flash bombs, sonic bombs, or others will not; tranqs might but why the hell are you wasting tranqs when you can carry 99 paintballs? :P

Small bombs work as well and have a nifty timer, which can be good or bad depending on the situation.

I'll be posting on Rook's bomb thread, since I'm a bomb fanatic :twisted:
Back to top Go down
http://automatedsweettalk.blogspot.com
EX-Lyte
Aptonoth

PostSubject: Re: Smoke Bombs: What they do and how to use them   Fri May 14, 2010 6:26 pm

you can learn alot from Rooks bomb topics.
Back to top Go down
Tinithor
Felyne

PostSubject: Re: Smoke Bombs: What they do and how to use them   Fri May 14, 2010 6:44 pm

I've used these 3-4 times and i have not seen ANY effect to be honest...
Back to top Go down
biz
Kelbi

PostSubject: Re: Smoke Bombs: What they do and how to use them   Sun May 16, 2010 11:45 pm

thanks for the tips, i'll use this soon!!! ive been having a hard time trying to capture the qurupeco because he keeps calling a giant dragon i dont know his name but it looks like the fire breathing dragon in the intro video.

i keep getting my butt kicked because the big guy keeps going on a rampage and stomping all over my face. Sad
this smoke bomb business should help me Tigrex
Back to top Go down
Jojozityjo
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Smoke Bombs: What they do and how to use them   Mon May 17, 2010 12:13 am

that dragon is a SHE and would be called Rathian, the female counterpart to Rathalos
Back to top Go down
Kakure
Kelbi

PostSubject: Re: Smoke Bombs: What they do and how to use them   Mon May 17, 2010 1:20 am

BT Esq wrote:
Shardik wrote:

Quick answer, certain attacks will trigger them - obviously fire balls, I think tail swings, Gaans jaw/head slams - I thought charges too, but maybe not.

Otherwise, you can self trigger by throwing an object at it (e.g. stone, throwing knife, not sure if throwing bombs - flash, sonic, dung, etc. will trigger) or just shoot it if you are a bowgunner.
Charges dont sem to, at least not with the Barroth. My friends had a laugh when they watched it just "phase" through the bomb and nailed me. Was kinda funny :P
Back to top Go down
Rook
Rathalos

PostSubject: Re: Smoke Bombs: What they do and how to use them   Mon May 17, 2010 8:01 am

biz wrote:
thanks for the tips, i'll use this soon!!! ive been having a hard time trying to capture the qurupeco because he keeps calling a giant dragon i dont know his name but it looks like the fire breathing dragon in the intro video.

i keep getting my butt kicked because the big guy keeps going on a rampage and stomping all over my face. Sad
this smoke bomb business should help me Tigrex

If you can, bring dung bombs (actually you probably get them in the supply box). If Quru summons Great Jaggi, toss the dung dombs at G. Jaggi to make him leave the area. You should only have to throw 1, sometimes a couple. It may take a couple of seconds, but he'll leave.

If Quru summons Rathian (The dragon), do NOT throw dung bombs at her. Rather, throw them at Quru so that HE leaves the area. You will need to throw a dozen dung bombs to get Rathian to leave but only 1 for Quru, so it makes more sense to froce Quru out than Rathian. Follow Quru to whatever area he moves to.

Make sure to tag him with a paintball when you first see him so that you know where he flies to.
Back to top Go down
Jake Johnson
Bnahabra

PostSubject: Re: Smoke Bombs: What they do and how to use them   Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:07 pm

Also, I know if I hit Quru with a flash bomb, he attacks in place repeatedly, making it impossible to get even one clean hit; if I use a smoke bomb, does he flounder around like an idiot?
Back to top Go down
Spud497
Cephalos

PostSubject: Re: Smoke Bombs: What they do and how to use them   Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:42 pm

now i can put my 20something smoke bombs to use. Cheers Rook =)
Back to top Go down
Brori
Cephalos

PostSubject: Re: Smoke Bombs: What they do and how to use them   Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:39 pm

i had a few smoke bombs and trying one on lagi online. didnt seem to do much. i didnt bother testing it furth but i will now. thanks for the info. on a side not i have tryed to see if poison smoke bombs can poison a boss monster. no luck sofar. if it a flat no or just hard?
Back to top Go down

Smoke Bombs: What they do and how to use them

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1