Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!

Monster Hunter Wiki Forum

Monster Hunter information and General Talk

Get ConnectedHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) for 3DS

Share | 

Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
GiggiStinger
Kelbi

Thank you Points : 1

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:56 am

First topic message reminder :

Things you did in the past, whichever MH game it was, that you look back to and say to yourself "OMG HOW COULD I? No by Vort "

I actually got to the point of going on a Jhen run...

Spoiler:

:lol!: :affraid:

I'm actually surprised nobody pointed at me and laughed in the Tavern.

After that one time I think I've never gotten to use that epitome of uselessness again.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Vortiene
Lao-Shan Lung

Thank you Points : 281

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Canada

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:02 pm

In comparison to normal attacks, the hits do less, decrease sharpness faster, and suck in general. The only strong hit is the final one and it's not really worth it. Simply doing normal attacks does much more damage and you can counter whilst doing them, so I don't see the point in using charges at all.
Back to top Go down
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Vortiene
Roik
Tigrex

Thank you Points : 156

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3ds
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use):

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:50 pm

@stayman_jacobi wrote:
Trying to cut Great Jaggi's tail-_-

+1 because I tried it too.
Back to top Go down
Melynx

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:46 pm

I thought I could cut tails WITH A HAMMER... AFTER the monster died. Without throwing knives.
Back to top Go down
Samochan
Seltas Queen

Thank you Points : 36

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:06 pm

I don't see anything bad in using lance charge to charge after a swimming deus. >.>

I mean, that thing moves pretty dagn fast underwater when you cut the beard and lance has the distinct advantage of having the charge that can keep up unlike other weapon classes. Not like you can stand around and poke around more than couple times till he's way too far already. Least with charge and megajuice one can keep up while still doing some damage and when he stops or flinches, then stop charging and poke him few times.

And besides that, I've managed to cut escaping lagi's tail with teh charge fair amount of times. It's not too shabby on underwater escaping monster. =)
Back to top Go down
Vortiene
Lao-Shan Lung

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:14 pm

Just because it is convenient doesn't mean it isn't bad. You can use it if you want, I am not stopping you. But it won't make it "good".

It's like the infinite combo with switchaxe, use it if you want, but people will be like <_< if you use it constantly online.
Back to top Go down
Samochan
Seltas Queen

Thank you Points : 36

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:17 pm

@Vortiene wrote:
Just because it is convenient doesn't mean it isn't bad. You can use it if you want, I am not stopping you. But it won't make it "good".

It's like the infinite combo with switchaxe, use it if you want, but people will be like <_< if you use it constantly online.

I'm not saying it's a good attack. *_*

But it's better than no attack at all when deus keeps swimmin away, yes? All that charge damage adds up overtime and letting one keep up with deus means one can poke him normally a few times too.

Otherwise it's horrible barring hitting annoying noobs with lol.
Back to top Go down
Roik
Tigrex

Thank you Points : 156

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3ds

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:50 pm

In other words: The Lance charge is a great move for utility (example: gap closing) but not for damage unless under certain circumstances.

Fair enough?
Back to top Go down
Vortiene
Lao-Shan Lung

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:58 pm

@Roik wrote:
In other words: The Lance charge is a great move for utility (example: gap closing) but not for damage unless under certain circumstances.

Fair enough?

The words the pony man speaks are wise, and would do well to be taken to heart.
Back to top Go down
Jake Johnson
Khezu

Thank you Points : 0

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:51 pm

That time during the Quru capture quest, when it called Rathian and I thought "GOOD-BYE DRAGON!"

BTW, I had Great Jaggi Armor and a Rugged Great Sword.

Needless to say, there wasn't enough of me left to put in the ashtray of a Volkswagen...
Back to top Go down
ThatMysteriousNinja
Cephalos

Thank you Points : 6

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:53 am

I just find that the SwA infinite combo and the Lance charge are good for doing damage on downed monsters. Just make sure you arent knocking allies over the monster ^_^
Back to top Go down
Tarath
Deviljho

Thank you Points : 32

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:08 am

@ThatMysteriousNinja wrote:
I just find that the SwA infinite combo and the Lance charge are good for doing damage on downed monsters. Just make sure you arent knocking allies over the monster ^_^

...No, they're really not. Normal attacks do so much more damage, it's rediculous.
Back to top Go down
dainbramage
Rajang

Thank you Points : 148

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:41 pm

Then you realise that one loop of the overhead/sideslash/upswing combo does as much damage as 12 of the stamina-draining attacks.

The SwAxe rapid hits are by far the worst attack in the game. The damage it puts out is the worst of any attack of any weapon type. You're stuck in the animation for ages which means you're going to get punished if you use it. And to add insult to injury it drains your stamina.

Lance charge isn't as terrible as the rapid hits, but it's still bad. Each hit of the charge reduces your sharpness as much as a bounce. Combined with the fact that it deals lots of hits, it tears through your sharpness bar ridiculously quickly. And even with those points aside, while ruining your sharpness and leaving you extremely vulnerable, it doesn't even do as much damage as the triple stab combo. But the fast hits are at least good for applying element right? Nope, elemental damage is quartered when you use the lance charge. And finally if you use it around teammates, you'll send them flying.
Back to top Go down
Sir Valk
Seltas

Thank you Points : 26

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:04 pm

@dainbramage wrote:

Then you realise that one loop of the overhead/sideslash/upswing combo does as much damage as 12 of the stamina-draining attacks.

The SwAxe rapid hits are by far the worst attack in the game. The damage it puts out is the worst of any attack of any weapon type. You're stuck in the animation for ages which means you're going to get punished if you use it. And to add insult to injury it drains your stamina.

Lance charge isn't as terrible as the rapid hits, but it's still bad. Each hit of the charge reduces your sharpness as much as a bounce. Combined with the fact that it deals lots of hits, it tears through your sharpness bar ridiculously quickly. And even with those points aside, while ruining your sharpness and leaving you extremely vulnerable, it doesn't even do as much damage as the triple stab combo. But the fast hits are at least good for applying element right? Nope, elemental damage is quartered when you use the lance charge. And finally if you use it around teammates, you'll send them flying.

Yesterday I went into a ala room and there was a HR290 guy with azure crest... well the other randies looked decent enough... so I went along :/. This idiot charged every attack and sent us flying, when I asked "wtf?", he said it's best way to put it to sleep and SBing does more damage then all our attacks combined... WTF IS THIS GUY SMOKING?!?! I abadoned after he died the second time -_-!
Back to top Go down
http://diehardgamerz.org
GiggiStinger
Kelbi

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:03 pm

@dainbramage wrote:

Lmao I actually remember going on a Jhen run with a HR 100+ who as soon as he got on top of Jhen spammed the infinite combo on the spine cracks... I lol'd.
Back to top Go down
Filos
Popo

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:16 pm

Fought a gobul without frog AND with a water s&s........took me ages....
Back to top Go down
yvz
Tigrex

Thank you Points : 24

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:58 pm

I shoot normal shots on Ian and I remember using LR Ian gunner back when I was HR20+.
I remember using pellet shots on Luddie and the guy told me to stop using it so I switched to clust shots.
I remember going on a Bari run and I shield bash my team mates. O.ob
Back to top Go down
blackice
Tigrex

Thank you Points : 17

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:49 pm

probly when i took 2 weeks to figure out how to get from the server selection screen all the way to fineing out where the armoury is and how to join a wuest XD
Back to top Go down
http://binocularorder.fullboards.com/
Arget Aiedail
Aptonoth

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title:

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:11 am

Well I'm a newb now, sooo.... Here's my story.

I fought the Great Jaggi. It took two tries for me to beat it (I blame the first time on how we had to have dinner so I was rushing and not being cautious enough). On the second time, I had fainted twice and when I beat him I had 2-3 minutes left to do so. I also forgot to get me some barrel bombs so that when he was asleep I could get some big damage (although apparently the little Jaggi wake him, but I think it still could've taken him a bit of time before he moved, or he could have set it off)

Sooo yeah I hope it is usually like this for n00bs No by Vort Cause I really think that could've gone better xD
Back to top Go down
- Hunter -
Kelbi

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:00 am

I was using Hypnos Knife when I was on 'Fell the Lagiacrus' in single player. The sharpness went down, and I used a MINI whetstone. It didn't say sharpness is at maximum. And I was all like 'WTF is Lagia doing to my weapon???!!!! Nooooooooo!!!!!!!'.

Another time, when I was at HR 46, I asked if traps would work on Ala...........
Back to top Go down
inocto
Popo

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:01 am

Always bringing my trusty pick-axe for my first few Jhen quests. You know... for nator and gong duty.... *Coughs*
Back to top Go down
Shiera
Rathian

Thank you Points : 44

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:04 pm

I used the SWAX infini-combo on Jhen my first time. Other notable fails include; wearing full Bari+ to an Agna+ fight (Where I took a beam to the face before the room even loaded) and wearing Bnahabra+ to an Ian+ fight.

I don't even remember my armor progression on Sieg. Malice, however, is using Hunter armor *Go ahead, laugh, I never get hit* and various SnSs.
Back to top Go down
navgoose
Seltas Queen

Thank you Points : 62

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title:

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:42 pm

I'm with DB. The worst attack in the game is the SWAX axe-mode stamina-draining figure eight infinite (longest name used for clarification). Lance charge may be bad in comparison to regular combos, but for 1) it isn't AS much lower damage as the SWAX infinite is compared to SWAX normal combos and 2) it has a few legit uses (like chasing limping monsters or 'deus fast swim) provided you mind teammates.

My biggest shame is not knowing how to climb up in various areas. I only thought the vine areas were climbable. I figured this out a bit before I finished offline after going the long way around many areas.
Back to top Go down
Lucy
Cephalos

Thank you Points : 8

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:40 pm

@inocto wrote:
Always bringing my trusty pick-axe for my first few Jhen quests. You know... for nator and gong duty.... *Coughs*

I've had that moment of panic where I was like: "OMG, I forgot picks!!" as the jhen hunt was loading. Then I realized that you didn't need them to hit the gong. Nobody lets me near the dragonator...

@navgoose wrote:

My biggest shame is not knowing how to climb up in various areas. I only thought the vine areas were climbable. I figured this out a bit before I finished offline after going the long way around many areas.

For the longest time, I had no idea how to jump down from ledges. I could see the shortcut arrow on the map, but didn't know how to use them until I started playing online.

Oh, the number of embarrassing things I've done playing tri. :oops:
Back to top Go down
Arget Aiedail
Aptonoth

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title:

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:30 am

Ok I think I redeemed myself xD I was able to capture the Great Jaggi without fainting =3 I bet it was cause I actually used that flash bomb thingymajig. But oh well I feel I did much better this time ^^
Back to top Go down
Kanade
Seregios

Thank you Points : 172

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Generations

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:04 am

@Lucy wrote:

For the longest time, I had no idea how to jump down from ledges. I could see the shortcut arrow on the map, but didn't know how to use them until I started playing online.

Oh, the number of embarrassing things I've done playing tri. :oops:

bring feline bombs n launch urself off xD
Back to top Go down
https://xmaskanade.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?    Today at 1:02 pm

Back to top Go down

Most shameful thing you did when young and newbie?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next