Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
New to MHFU Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
New to MHFU Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New to MHFU

Go down 
+4
Tomderdepp
haruno
Deridor
Secun
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Secun
Seltas Queen
Secun

Thank you Points : 40

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

New to MHFU Empty
PostSubject: New to MHFU   New to MHFU Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 1:02 am

So I'm getting MHFU for Christmas, and Tri was my first game, so I was wondering if there are any weapons considered as "required" like in Tri, and what some good ideas for starting armors would be.

So far, I've seen Battle Armor and Kut-Ku Armor, but aside from that I'm not sure what to go for in terms of weapons, mainly LS, DS, Hammer, and GL.
Back to top Go down
Deridor
Yian Kut-Ku
Deridor

Thank you Points : 10

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

New to MHFU Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to MHFU   New to MHFU Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 1:54 am

LS and DS are nice weapons, though DS might be difficult as you get to the bigger enemies.

Iv'e heard that mhfu is a lot harder than tri, but i've never played tri so idk.
Back to top Go down
Secun
Seltas Queen
Secun

3DS friends code:

New to MHFU Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to MHFU   New to MHFU Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 2:36 am

Deridor wrote:
LS and DS are nice weapons, though DS might be difficult as you get to the bigger enemies.

Iv'e heard that mhfu is a lot harder than tri, but i've never played tri so idk.

That's what I've heard, too, about MHFU being harder than Tri, so I was trying to plan ahead.

So far I've got Battle Armor, Kut-Ku, Yian Garuga, Kushala, and Tigrex as musts for armors. Still not too sure on weapons, though, besides making Luna's Howl GL.
Back to top Go down
Deridor
Yian Kut-Ku
Deridor

3DS friends code:

New to MHFU Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to MHFU   New to MHFU Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 5:38 am

GL is kind of a slow item... The shelling and wyvern fire aren't too great IMO, at least later into the game. Luna's howl is also a VERY late game item haha. Lunastra is a pain, though that is most likely due to me fighting teostra all the time (luna is slower but has the same attacks, so it really throws you off to fight her after teo)

First time i beat tiggy was with a lance :3.

I suggest you do some training missions also, you can win points for the farm/trenya (supposing you downloaded him), as well as battle experience considering most fights restrict you to weaker armor/weapons and less items than you would normally use against the monster (also a no-risk way of playing with the different weapons, when you unlock a few of the challenges)
Back to top Go down
haruno
Shagaru Magala
haruno

Thank you Points : 192

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title:

New to MHFU Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to MHFU   New to MHFU Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 6:41 am

There are no required weapons since unlike tri you're not forced to use the two final monsters to get the absolute highest damage output. Though i will say this

Sns < dual swords damage wise
ls and gs are pretty equal
gunlance > lance in low rank/village lance = gunlance in high rank lance > gunlance in G rank
bow < lbg < hbg in terms of damage output. But in thee lower ranks i would stay away from the bowguns since they burn money you can't afford to lose.
Hammer is far superior to hunting horn solo. No questioning that.

That's pretty much it. Though i highly suggest learning how to use one weapon effectively instead of rotating weapons at random intervals.

Garuga armor + garuga mask is the absolute best armor for low rank/village (save caenataur with sharp+1)
Caen S and akantor are the best for high rank.
hr7 is some random mix between conga Z, aktor and caen S for speed sharp, sharp+1 and reckless abandon.
hr8 is caen Z
hr9 is when you can do whatever

More random advice
The best of low rank is better than the worst of high rank
The best of high rank is better than the worst of G rank

Defense means nothing in high/G rank since in rank appropriate gear you will get 2-3 shotted no matter what.

Remember to use the farm effectively and to make a good amount of meat in the felyne kitchen. And you're set for unite.

Good luck have fun and you'll realize how easy tri is commpared to unite
Back to top Go down
Tomderdepp
Seltas
Tomderdepp

Thank you Points : 15

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): EU

New to MHFU Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to MHFU   New to MHFU Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 10:41 am

I would also recoment caenataur armour. I fought wicht it my way through most parts of lowrank (till I changed for garuga) and then also high rank. but Im playing with GS so I can't really recomment much to you.

@haruno: could you give me detailed information about that HR7 Armourset you recommended. It sounds interesting
Back to top Go down
Secun
Seltas Queen
Secun

3DS friends code:

New to MHFU Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to MHFU   New to MHFU Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 1:55 pm

Deridor wrote:
Luna's howl is also a VERY late game item haha.

Er, it is? I was seeing that you can make it during Low Rank so I'm confused now.
Back to top Go down
Deridor
Yian Kut-Ku
Deridor

3DS friends code:

New to MHFU Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to MHFU   New to MHFU Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 6:44 pm

Well luna is an elder dragon, so late low rank at the very least.

Learning one weapon in particular can be good, but i find it works very well to choose weapons based on the monster.

-If it's new and you wanna take it slow, learn its moves, or just play it safe, gunlance/lance does wonders.
-If the monster is fast (blangonga, kirin), I'd suggest hammers (though that sounds illogical).
-Some fast monsters require YOU to have more mobility (tigrex, narga, luna/teo), for which i suggest longswords.
-If the monster is slow and lumbering (gravios, khezu), or you need to have some distance, LBG/HBG are great, though LBG should only be used when the rapid fire is excellent against the monster (such as rapid firing water s vs black gravios). bowguns are more usable during high rank, due to ammo costs.

That's just how i go about using weapons. Almost any weapon can be used for any monster, with very few actually having issues with certain ones (DS vs tigrex is more difficult than you would think...), but using different weapons MAY give you you an advantage.

Also, use DS while you can because they are insanely fun, but they get very difficult to use later on as their range puts you in perfect position to get Rage by sipax
Back to top Go down
haruno
Shagaru Magala
haruno

Thank you Points : 192

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title:

New to MHFU Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to MHFU   New to MHFU Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 6:54 pm

oh yah before i forget

Gs is the absolute BEST weapon for tigrex
Dual swords and kirin are the worst possible matchup
Ranged rapes Shen Gaoren
Hammer rapes Lao Shan Lung
Bows rape rajang
Back to top Go down
blackice
Tigrex
blackice

Thank you Points : 17

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri

New to MHFU Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to MHFU   New to MHFU Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 2:40 am

i just read this cause im gettingunite and now im thinking ahh im fucked cause im not even that great at mh3 xD
Back to top Go down
http://binocularorder.fullboards.com/
Tomderdepp
Seltas
Tomderdepp

3DS friends code:

New to MHFU Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to MHFU   New to MHFU Icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 12:47 pm

dont worry. im not the best at mh3 too but i got along with unite quite well. just dont let yourself get scared. many of the monsters everyone is so scared of arent that hard at all.
Back to top Go down
blackice
Tigrex
blackice

Thank you Points : 17

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri

New to MHFU Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to MHFU   New to MHFU Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 12:52 am

im probly gonna play mhf first ot get used to psp controls and the weapons that arnt in tri then play mhf2 then finally start unite Yes by vort
Back to top Go down
http://binocularorder.fullboards.com/
Tomderdepp
Seltas
Tomderdepp

3DS friends code:

New to MHFU Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to MHFU   New to MHFU Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 9:39 am

mhf2 = mhfu - G-Rank

so I wouldnt bother buy mhf2. its just a waste of money.
Back to top Go down
.megane.
Kelbi

Thank you Points : 0

New to MHFU Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to MHFU   New to MHFU Icon_minitimeTue Nov 27, 2012 11:51 pm

I just beg to disagree about SnS having more output damage than DS.
You don't know what you are Saying about this dude Yes by vort
just this tho /mad/
Back to top Go down
ScienceJesus
Felyne

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Portable 3rd/Import
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use):

New to MHFU Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to MHFU   New to MHFU Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 12:11 am

take a look at the dates of posts. this was posted a year ago.
Back to top Go down
.megane.
Kelbi

New to MHFU Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to MHFU   New to MHFU Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 12:17 am

I know dude.. I just can't help my self.. Sorry Yes by vort /yes/ Avid DSer.
Back to top Go down
GrashXL002
Yian Garuga
GrashXL002

Thank you Points : 1

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): England

New to MHFU Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to MHFU   New to MHFU Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 6:16 pm

Secun wrote:
Deridor wrote:

That's what I've heard, too, about MHFU being harder than Tri, so I was trying to plan ahead.

So far I've got Battle Armor, Kut-Ku, Yian Garuga, Kushala, and Tigrex as musts for armors. Still not too sure on weapons, though, besides making Luna's Howl GL.

Tigrex armour is crap, considering for most roars you need HIGH GRADE earplugs, auto-tracker is... not really worth killing a Tigrex for. Speed eating... never use it.
Back to top Go down
ScienceJesus
Felyne

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Portable 3rd/Import
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use):

New to MHFU Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to MHFU   New to MHFU Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 8:43 pm

.....Grash, like i was telling the other guy... this was posted a year ago.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New to MHFU Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to MHFU   New to MHFU Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to MHFU
Page 1 of 1