Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!

Monster Hunter Wiki Forum

Monster Hunter information and General Talk

Get ConnectedHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) for 3DS

Share | 

Hybrid Playstyles

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Palas
Cephalos

Thank you Points : 5

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Hybrid Playstyles   Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:01 pm

I don't know what's wrong with me. You see, I just can't seem to accept the fact that status lances/hammers/GSs suck, so I keep trying to find ways or excuses to make them (look like they) play better.

But how?

Well, when you are using hybrid weapons you need hybrid playstyles, right? You can't spam superpounds with an Alluring Lotus because... well, that's not what you're using it for, right?

Now, these are the basics. Got Great Azure/Gobulu Muruka? There, use dem charge attacks - also they're particularly effective agains Agnaktor because then you cam charge and get stuck behind one of its legs. Got Iron Devil (avec Awaken)? Use spin attack instead of superpounds. Para the monster, then triple-pound the head. High Sieglinde? It' not gonna hurt to chain other slashes after the charge.

What else? I mean, hybrid weapons also need... hybrid situations if you know what I mean. You can't enter any room with such weapons because they reach their optimal functionalities when accompanied by some kind of support, right?

Aside from Shadowbinder, which is able to self-suffice, other hybrid weapons need friends to be completely useful. I mean, yeah right, two Gleams can kill an Ala faster than one Gleam and one Great Azure, but which of these combinations can get a Skypiercer? Two Devil's Crush can get a Skypiercer, but one Devil's Crush and an Iron Devil are more likely to allow fast tail cutting. Essentially, hybrid weapons are group weapons.

On addition, Speed Sharpening is required just as much as Sharpness +1 (and that's why you are not going for Razor Sharp).

Please discuss methods of making these weapons more useful in day-by-day hunting, as most of them are quite awesome and deserve some attention.
Back to top Go down
Lucas
Rathalos

Thank you Points : 60

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Generations
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use):

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Playstyles   Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:26 pm

Punish draw + Hammer spin u.u
Back to top Go down
Win32error
Lead Admin

Thank you Points : 89

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Playstyles   Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:33 pm

I'm really sorry to say this, but your logic is mostly flawed. Fact is, there's a "good" way to use most weapons (don't charge with lance, triplepound when possible with hammer, those kinda things). Applying these on subpar weapons doesn't make them any more viable.

Anyhow, there's some bigger problems. First of all, stat on most weapons is just too low. A stat gunner can do it faster and more efficiently. The damage you'll be doing while delivering that status isn't too high anyway (you trade in quite a bit of raw, sharpness, and all of your element. The latter ruins it for sns).

Basically, it's like this:
There are ways to maximize your damage potential with a weapon, these ways should be preferred. These aren't always the best for dealing ele/stat damage (lance charge, GS combo, hammer charge fuckup).
The weapons which use status are generally pretty bad. Not only because they lack element, but because endgame weapons are just stronger (and none of these have status).
By combining the playstyle that neglects raw, and using weapons with status, which do the same, you'll end up with a higher amount of status, but with bismal damage. The biggest reason this is bad, is because a status gunner will do more status, do it faster, and has the potential to do more damage while doing it (mainly due to the damage a single sleepbomb can do).

TL;DR Bad playstyle+Bad weapon=Bad damage. It's not hybrid, it's just bad. If you want status, get a gunner. There's a reason speedruns usually have 1.

If there weren't status gunners in this game, it might've been more interesting to discuss.

On a side note: High sieglinde is still a good weapon, the poison....it's just there, ignore it. Doing combos to inflict poison is laughably ineffective.
Back to top Go down
Lucas
Rathalos

Thank you Points : 60

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Generations
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use):

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Playstyles   Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:37 pm

@Win32error wrote:
I'm really sorry to say this, but your logic is mostly flawed. Fact is, there's a "good" way to use most weapons (don't charge with lance, triplepound when possible with hammer, those kinda things). Applying these on subpar weapons doesn't make them any more viable.

Anyhow, there's some bigger problems. First of all, stat on most weapons is just too low. A stat gunner can do it faster and more efficiently. The damage you'll be doing while delivering that status isn't too high anyway (you trade in quite a bit of raw, sharpness, and all of your element. The latter ruins it for sns).

Basically, it's like this:
There are ways to maximize your damage potential with a weapon, these ways should be preferred. These aren't always the best for dealing ele/stat damage (lance charge, GS combo, hammer charge fuckup).
The weapons which use status are generally pretty bad. Not only because they lack element, but because endgame weapons are just stronger (and none of these have status).
By combining the playstyle that neglects raw, and using weapons with status, which do the same, you'll end up with a higher amount of status, but with bismal damage. The biggest reason this is bad, is because a status gunner will do more status, do it faster, and has the potential to do more damage while doing it (mainly due to the damage a single sleepbomb can do).

TL;DR Bad playstyle+Bad weapon=Bad damage. It's not hybrid, it's just bad. If you want status, get a gunner. There's a reason speedruns usually have 1.

If there weren't status gunners in this game, it might've been more interesting to discuss.

On a side note: High sieglinde is still a good weapon, the poison....it's just there, ignore it. Doing combos to inflict poison is laughably ineffective.

What a downer >_>!
Back to top Go down
Palas
Cephalos

Thank you Points : 5

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Playstyles   Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:43 pm

That's cruel :<
Back to top Go down
blackice
Tigrex

Thank you Points : 17

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Playstyles   Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:30 pm

guan dao inflicts guan dao status so i usually use that...
Back to top Go down
http://binocularorder.fullboards.com/
TiroDvD
Popo

Thank you Points : 17

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Playstyles   Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:17 pm

I suspect hybrid weapons are not primary in their abilities but supplemental. E.g. it's not a Para Hammer's job to Paralyze but to bring about quicker with a SnS and LnS. Gathering a couple of throwing knives would help too.

Hybrid weapons also serve another purpose: intermediate weapons. Not everyone has the best or end game equipment right off the bat. Which is better your Alatreon weapons or the cluster guns you use to get them? (That might be a wrong comparison but I hope the idea is conveyed.) Also not everyone knows everything right off the bat. Players have to learn MH3 and the best way to see the superiority of something is to see the inferiority of another. Knowledge without experience is often misused.

So yea hyrbrid weapons are overlooked since people forget
A. you don't play alone. (Even the offline, and I'm not referring to Cha Cha.)
B. you don't start at the top in materials or knowledge.
C. Sometimes you want to have fun.
Back to top Go down
Andrew.
Seltas Queen

Thank you Points : 11

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Playstyles   Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:30 pm

I sorta agree with win, a bad weapon like sed stats ones are weak compared to the high end and no matter what playstyle you employ they shall suck, and inflicting status with hammer requires constant spinning. And on a gs it's just laughable...

Back to top Go down
Win32error
Lead Admin

Thank you Points : 89

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Playstyles   Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:01 pm

I do feel i may have been a bit harsh. First of all, the spinning+punishdraw is fairly viable, i believe. But you don't really need a "hybrid" weapon for that, right? Though it would be nice with the para hammer, for triple status...

Aside from that, weapon with status are fun to use, but just not very efficient. There's always a better option regarding damage. Having a stat gunner is even better in low rank (sleepbombing is extremely effective against LR monsters, if you can get the mats).

For the "you don't start with info" thing, that is partially true. We all meet people who don't do things perfect (from using the ala revolution instead of anguish to ian without earplugs). And it's fine to tell newbies that they can use these weapons....just tell them that they're not the best they can get.

Aside from that, all the status weapons are pretty usable ofc. Most people switch weapons to match elemental types too, which is usually not the best choice (aside from sns, mostly), due to higher sharpness and raw. Still, it's more fun, without sacrificing too much...so i guess it's really up to how much effect you wanna trade in for the gimmick.
Back to top Go down
Chriz
Rathian

Thank you Points : 61

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title:

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Playstyles   Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:43 pm

Tbh I don't see why you need to come up with reasons to use those weapons. You clearly like them so use them whenever, however you want. I could run around in full rathian with all those delicious negative skills sporting a Yuan Yue Dao (G) but so long as I'm having fun I could care less what other people say about them, or how inefficient they are. Just relax and do what you think would get you the most enjoyment.
Back to top Go down
Bimasena009
Yian Kut-Ku

Thank you Points : 7

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Playstyles   Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:00 pm

Hey, I use a High Seiglinde (P) just for the power and I got the poison status off at least once in every quest I'm in (unless I'm playing with someone using Endgame Gear, who killed the monster in less than 5 minutes). And I don't use the Chain Combo at all, just through the Draw slashes and LVX Charges. It's not what I set off to do, but I somehow pulled it off without Status Atk Up or something similar.

I think if you're using Melee status weapons, you have to attack as often as you can. There's absolutely no reason for you for letting go a chance to attack (unless its too dangerous or you need to heal). Using this logic, your man status inflicter should either be an LS, SnS, or Gunner.
Back to top Go down
ThatMysteriousNinja
Cephalos

Thank you Points : 6

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Playstyles   Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:44 pm

Status weapons are definitely supplementary IMO, as in, i wouldn't recommend trying to solo kill a HR Aganaktor or whatever with a status hammer such as Iron Devil. They're much more useful in non-solo hunts. But if you ask me, just ask someone to gun if you want to get status effects. Gunners are usually the best at applying status effects. (I guess SnS is somewhat on par, but i'd still say Bowgun is better) And really, i personally view status effects as something that's simply nice to have. Not something that, if you don't have your hunt is screwed.

Look at it this way, 4 Experienced players that, say, evade lance will almost always take down a monster faster than A Gunner, status SnS and 2 Evade lancers. Sure, the latter will usually have an easier time. But if the former is simply doing well they should be hitting the monster consistently with decent damage. But what if, say, the former group carts once or twice? Due to the fact that it's a bit more difficult without the helpful status effects.

Well at that point, i'd just say it'd depend on the monster and we should just let it go.
Back to top Go down
haruno
Shagaru Magala

Thank you Points : 192

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title:

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Playstyles   Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:32 am

Status on a melee weapon is worthless. Stick to bowgun.
Back to top Go down
Quentin
Rajang

Thank you Points : 28

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): United States

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Playstyles   Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:25 am

^ Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeere he is, I was wondering when he'd comment, but anyway I think it's up to player choice
Back to top Go down
Axel3
Tigrex

Thank you Points : 7

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Dynamic Hunting

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Playstyles   Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:49 pm

I change my weapon for monster...
If i am fighting barioth im going to status para
If im fightin blos im going to use amber hoarfrost.

The effectiveness of a weapon changes for each monster...
Back to top Go down
Ugthorf
Yian Kut-Ku

Thank you Points : 28

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Playstyles   Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:18 pm

@blackice wrote:
guan dao inflicts guan dao status so i usually use that...

yes, but guan dao status is inflicted on the hunting party, not the monster.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hybrid Playstyles   Today at 5:37 pm

Back to top Go down

Hybrid Playstyles
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1