Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!

MH4Ultimate releases this Friday, February 13th!

Monster Hunter Wiki Forum

Monster Hunter information and General Talk

Get ConnectedHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
What's hunting you?

Share | 

Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
dcj91x
Fatalis

Thank you Points : 284

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): US

PostSubject: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:19 pm

So Capcom has now started a new game (game series) much like Monster Hunter but with a lot more "Wester" influence to it. Dragon's Dogma which will be released world wide in May for PS3 and Xbox360 will feature many elements we have seen in the MH series and some we have seen portrayed to be in the upcoming MH4 game on the 3DS such as "grab" action.

One of the main differences in DD over MH however is that (though listed as single player) you can recruit NPC's to fight along with you on tougher fights. Also in DD there will be classes instead of just weapon types to chose from.

In the past Capcom has stated that the MH series is (too Japanese) for the west and has given that as a reason for the lack of MH releases outside Japan. Though this is the first DD game they seem to not be taking that same approch as the game is releasing world wide around the same dates without months of waiting in between.

So my question and concern is this: Do you all think that "Dragon's Dogma" could be Capcoms replacement/answer for the Monster Hunter series outside Japan?

What are your thoughts iether way?
Back to top Go down
Leonhardt
Yian Garuga

Thank you Points : 13

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:21 pm

u got a link?
Back to top Go down
quidam
Deviljho

Thank you Points : 135

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:22 pm

that sounds actually possible, however in my opinion they would have mroe chanches with mh than a class based action rpg because our markets are just full of those while mh would have a different niche.
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:24 pm

No link for Dragon's Dogma as the main reason for the post is to talk about MH and the possibility about Capcom fazing it out of the west all together and not to talk about DD.

So you would have to look the link up yourself on google.

@quidam wrote:
that sounds actually possible, however in my opinion they would have mroe chanches with mh than a class based action rpg because our markets are just full of those while mh would have a different niche.

I think that is sort of the point. As class base games are looked on as a more western style of game.
Back to top Go down
Leonhardt
Yian Garuga

Thank you Points : 13

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:29 pm

i think they shouldve left it mh-like, since we hav too many "class" type games...u hav flexibility from it but it also limits gameplay to a point...
Back to top Go down
quidam
Deviljho

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:32 pm

even top-rated rpg nowadays are taking distances from the usual class-based system. think of skyrim. people are just a bit fed up with the standard class system by now, i really think capcom should just go with mh really.
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:36 pm

@leo: that's just it. It is MH-like. you go out, hunt monsters, break body parts and carve then for rewards, then return to your main city. Though it's a large open world and not areas i believe and you have classes.

@quid: while I agree it goes back to the "stereotypical" thinking of what people in one country believe people in another country want to play/ or should play in a video game. Or that's my opinion anyways. I could be wrong as I am not sure how they decide what games are released in the west or not.
Back to top Go down
quidam
Deviljho

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:37 pm

i already pmed you my wiev on it some time ago lol, if this "replecement" thing is true it just confirms it more.
Back to top Go down
Oni Zelkami
Lao-Shan Lung

Thank you Points : 151

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:17 pm

If Capcom intended to replace Monster Hunter with DD in the west, they'd be marketing it to us. They clearly haven't as i actually mentioned this to Roik on the chatbox a while back, and he clearly had never heard of it.
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:26 pm

Really now?

While maybe not everyone has heard of the game the "wester" targeting within the game seems evedent as all the monsters are from Greek/European origins and it's one of the few Capcom Games I have ever seen where every character is Eurpean. Knights, archers, and so on. I may have missed it but not one "Asian" style character in the bunch.

Though that could be reading a lot into it, the look of the game seems very Western targeted.
Back to top Go down
chim
Felyne

Thank you Points : 2

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:32 pm

I'm a jrpg fan so when one of my favorite game become more wester is most likely bad news for me. Dragon dogma might be a good game by itself, but i don't think it will replace Monster hunter for me. Alot of time the part of a game fan like the most is what non fan dislike the most and vise versa. So most of the time when my favorite game get "westernised" it take away what I love about the game and upgrade the part I don't care for. I like turn base jrpg, but not many come to the states. Jrpg not coming to the west because it not wester enough. Don't they know thats why people play them, that make no sense to me. I may like Dragon dogma(i have to play it first), but its no replacement and I still want Monster hunter to come state side.
Back to top Go down
Oni Zelkami
Lao-Shan Lung

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:36 pm

@dcj91x wrote:
Really now?

While maybe not everyone has heard of the game the "wester" targeting within the game seems evedent as all the monsters are from Greek/European origins and it's one of the few Capcom Games I have ever seen where every character is Eurpean. Knights, archers, and so on. I may have missed it but not one "Asian" style character in the bunch.

Though that could be reading a lot into it, the look of the game seems very Western targeted.

So are you saying that Capcom wants Western Monster Hunter Fans to buy it, or that they want it to become America/Europe's Monster Hunter, and market it at a different audience?
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:41 pm

My opinion (just mine) is that based on the way it sounds and what it has in it. It appears to be "Monster Hunter for the West".

Western monsters, western characters, wester "gameplay style" but with monster hunting.

I may not have made that clear.

I would not like this myself. I like Monster Hunter. I do not want Capcom to have MH for Japan and DD for the West.

(which I could be wrong but seems like what this game represents)
Back to top Go down
Archie
Melynx

Thank you Points : 4

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3ds

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:59 pm

I like monster hunter. But this game looks really well made, and after seeing some gameplay and trailers, I want this game. I do not think that capcom should not release MH here just because of another game similar to it in some aspects is being released here. So i think i agree.
Back to top Go down
Oni Zelkami
Lao-Shan Lung

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:02 pm

Eh. If I do end up getting it, it will almost certainly be a rental. Even if it does turn out to be really good, no one is going to care as long as Elder Scrolls or Zelda are still prevalent and popular.
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:56 am

I was reading this on my phone. Apologiez for the long link:

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://playstationlifestyle.net/2012/03/23/dragons-dogma-to-appeal-to-monster-hunter-fans-will-feature-elements-of-player-choice/&sa=U&ei=wC-IT6y8PKX02QXn88zsCQ&ved=0CDoQqQIwBg&usg=AFQjCNGJVEhZI7YSM6pP5P0WVVri_wDb-A

Basically reinforces (Again in my opinion) what I was saying about Capcom trying to market DD in the West over MH.
Back to top Go down
Oni Zelkami
Lao-Shan Lung

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:09 pm

I think Capcom is just telling us to give up. Boycott?
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:18 pm

Honestly... I think they are giving us what they "think" we want. I have said many times that Japan gives games to the west based on their opinion of the west and what games they think the west will and should like or not.

I think Capcom is expressing this very well by creating a very wester like MH game to "Appease" us here in the west.

Mr. Inafune (The creator of Megaman) who recently left Capcom has also made remarks fairly close to the one I have stated and the way I feel.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/04/keiji-inafune-qa/

Regardless of DD (if it turns out to be a good game or not) I think Capcom (and other developers and game industry leaders in Japan) are missing the point. Quit trying to give us what you "Think" we want or should have and "Listen" to us. We don't want a game "Like" monster hunter that you feel is more "Westernized", We (I) want Monster Hunter. Treat everybody (Gamer) equal and such.
Back to top Go down
Oni Zelkami
Lao-Shan Lung

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:28 pm

Anything out of Inafune's mouth on the subject of what we want is completely invalid at this point. Mega Man legends 3 (If he was working on that) or...

*cringe*

THIS

are either proof that he has no idea what we want, or, he's just giving his middle finger to what he thinks is a sinking ship.
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:40 pm

^ Actually Capcom cancled it in retaliation to him quiting. It had nothing to do with him as I understood it. So you can blame capcom for that not him...
Back to top Go down
Oni Zelkami
Lao-Shan Lung

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:44 pm

Well I didn't really care about Mega Man Legends 3, but I DID care about Street Fighter X Tekken. You know Inafune requested that megaman be portrayed the way he is. That's just a lack of respect for one's fan base. Why not silence all the annoying whiners, and let Niitsuma put him in UMvC3 why don't you? Either way, Capcom hates us, and they know we won't do anything about it. Not until they pull something that REALLY gets their fanbase riled up. I see a perfect opportunity with that unnamed Sega and Namco crossover for the 3DS. Watch it be like a Puzzle game or something. Or maybe revealing that Darkstalkers 4 is canceled before it's even been announced.

EDIT: Well forget the first one. It's Namco x Capcom with Sega in it. You got my purchase.

Last edited by Shin Zelkami on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Roik
Tigrex

Thank you Points : 156

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3ds
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use):

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:54 pm

Actually, Project X Zone is a type of fighting game which has a team consisting of Megaman X and Zero.
Back to top Go down
Oni Zelkami
Lao-Shan Lung

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:18 pm

It's a Fighting game with Heavy RPG elements. Just like the first one. In either case, we're getting off topic.
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:39 pm

^agreed. This is still an MH topic even if MH is lacking in the west.
Back to top Go down
Oni Zelkami
Lao-Shan Lung

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:37 pm

Getting back to what I was saying before, the fact that Capcom is trying to market this to us seem like they're flipping the bird at us, but in a nice way. Like "I know you can't have Monster Hunter, so how bout Dragon's Dogma instead?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?   Today at 12:13 pm

Back to top Go down

Dragon's Dogma over MH in the west?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next