Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!

Monster Hunter Wiki Forum

Monster Hunter information and General Talk

Get ConnectedHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) for 3DS

Share | 

Quake Live...an old school FPS online multiplayer skill-based goodness!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Phazon Xenomorph
Admin

Thank you Points : 96

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use):

PostSubject: Quake Live...an old school FPS online multiplayer skill-based goodness!   Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:46 am

Yep, that's right. I, normally a UT player (2k4 best ever!), am now doing Quake Live. It's very old school graphics but that is nice because it makes it VERY easy to run (quake 3 graphics). It runs even in your browser (default)!

If you, like me, are sick to death of god awful FPS games like CoD and Battlefield and other wannabe FPS and actually want something more along the lines of testing your skill and ability (master strafe jumping or die....even I have yet to master it...) then Quake Live might be your thing!

http://www.quakelive.com/#!welcome
Back to top Go down
Oni Zelkami
Lao-Shan Lung

Thank you Points : 151

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Quake Live...an old school FPS online multiplayer skill-based goodness!   Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:51 am

Well I have nothing to do today. Might as well try it out.
Back to top Go down
WyvernGS
Khezu

Thank you Points : 17

3DS friends code: 3926-4380-9866
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

PostSubject: Re: Quake Live...an old school FPS online multiplayer skill-based goodness!   Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:17 pm

Very nostalgic, but I def need a mouse to play this, my trackpad is wayyyyy too slow haha
Back to top Go down
Oni Zelkami
Lao-Shan Lung

Thank you Points : 151

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Quake Live...an old school FPS online multiplayer skill-based goodness!   Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:22 pm

Blech... I'm sure it's a good game, it's just not for me. It's the same problem I had with Tribes Ascend. You can't hit anything, since everyone's way too fast and is constantly jumping around. I think I'll just stick with TF2.
Back to top Go down
Phazon Xenomorph
Admin

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Quake Live...an old school FPS online multiplayer skill-based goodness!   Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:30 am

Shin Zelkami wrote:
Blech... I'm sure it's a good game, it's just not for me. It's the same problem I had with Tribes Ascend. You can't hit anything, since everyone's way too fast and is constantly jumping around. I think I'll just stick with TF2.

Strafe jumping increases speed, it's meant for those truly wanting to play an FPS that requires more than just point and shoot ...it requires great reflexes and a high skill cap...plus play only green matches first...those are ranked to your skill / while you improve, they also have training maps and videos that teach you strafe jumping. Also try either FFA (free for all) or CTF or FFA Instagib (1 shot rail guns) or CTA instagib...you'll learn.

If not, oh well, guess you got weeded out. I don't mean this as an offense either, games like these old school shooters do have a tendency to frustrate and weed out those who can't adapt to the higher degree of difficulty (which was actually an unintentional side effect, cause they made these games for the reliability and gameplay back in the day...the skill cap was an unexpected bonus!)
Back to top Go down
Phazon Xenomorph
Admin

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Quake Live...an old school FPS online multiplayer skill-based goodness!   Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:35 pm

Damn, I love this game.
Back to top Go down
Phazon Xenomorph
Admin

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Quake Live...an old school FPS online multiplayer skill-based goodness!   Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:39 pm

Really? I'm surprised more people aren't interested in playing an FPS that actually takes some bit of effort to be good at versus today's stuff and killstreaks and other garbage.
Back to top Go down
Roik
Tigrex

Thank you Points : 156

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3ds

PostSubject: Re: Quake Live...an old school FPS online multiplayer skill-based goodness!   Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:45 pm

Most people play games because they enjoy it. If that's what they enjoy, let them. I'm not a fan of FPS games in general myself.

But, here's a community of a little over a thousand people who do:
/r/quakelive
Back to top Go down
Phazon Xenomorph
Admin

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Quake Live...an old school FPS online multiplayer skill-based goodness!   Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:00 pm

@Roik wrote:
Most people play games because they enjoy it. If that's what they enjoy, let them. I'm not a fan of FPS games in general myself.

But, here's a community of a little over a thousand people who do:
/r/quakelive

ewww...reddit....
Back to top Go down
Roik
Tigrex

Thank you Points : 156

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Quake Live...an old school FPS online multiplayer skill-based goodness!   Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:40 pm

Oh, feel free to stay and complain in this thread by yourself on a forum where no one else plays this game. Nobody is stopping you.
Back to top Go down
Phazon Xenomorph
Admin

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Quake Live...an old school FPS online multiplayer skill-based goodness!   Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:16 am

Given how many members we have, im rather surprised no one else is interested in this game.
Back to top Go down
Yamatsu
Admin

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Quake Live...an old school FPS online multiplayer skill-based goodness!   Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:25 am

I tried it out, it's fun enough. I'll be sticking with Tribes: Ascend, Team Fortress 2 and Counter Strike, though.
Back to top Go down
1bighiccup
Black Gravios

Thank you Points : 79

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): England

PostSubject: Re: Quake Live...an old school FPS online multiplayer skill-based goodness!   Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:43 am

Nova wrote:
Given how many members we have, im rather surprised no one else is interested in this game.

Did you forget the part where we probably have less than 200 actual ACTIVE members?
Back to top Go down
Yamatsu
Admin

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Quake Live...an old school FPS online multiplayer skill-based goodness!   Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:07 pm

Right, so I played a few more matches and HOSHI THIS IS AWESOME. Hated CTF but am loving Free for All.
Back to top Go down
Phazon Xenomorph
Admin

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Quake Live...an old school FPS online multiplayer skill-based goodness!   Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:12 pm

@Yamatsu wrote:
Right, so I played a few more matches and HOSHI THIS IS AWESOME. Hated CTF but am loving Free for All.

Try Instagib CTF or instagib matches in general.
Back to top Go down
Phazon Xenomorph
Admin

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Quake Live...an old school FPS online multiplayer skill-based goodness!   Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:46 pm

Bump for a skill-based multiplayer FPS!
Back to top Go down
Yamatsu
Admin

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Quake Live...an old school FPS online multiplayer skill-based goodness!   Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:56 am

Haven't played it too much during the past week and a bit, but was rocking it the week before. Rocket jumping is just as glorious as it is in TF2 (though a bit simpler and more limited) but I am loving the rocket launcher, shotgun and gauntlet.
Back to top Go down
Phazon Xenomorph
Admin

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Quake Live...an old school FPS online multiplayer skill-based goodness!   Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:09 pm

@Yamatsu wrote:
Haven't played it too much during the past week and a bit, but was rocking it the week before. Rocket jumping is just as glorious as it is in TF2 (though a bit simpler and more limited) but I am loving the rocket launcher, shotgun and gauntlet.

Rocket Jumping in quake is way better than in TF2, you just gotta master the ability to flick your mouse behind you, shoot at the ground, and spin back forward and stuff before the rocket hits, it's all twitch reflexes, videos on youtube can help with learning it and the all important strafe jumping.
Back to top Go down
Yamatsu
Admin

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Quake Live...an old school FPS online multiplayer skill-based goodness!   Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:57 pm

Nova wrote:
@Yamatsu wrote:

Rocket Jumping in quake is way better than in TF2, you just gotta master the ability to flick your mouse behind you, shoot at the ground, and spin back forward and stuff before the rocket hits, it's all twitch reflexes, videos on youtube can help with learning it and the all important strafe jumping.
Nah, TF2 rocket jumping is far better. Quake's is great for the small arena maps, but TF2's is overall, well, better because of the insane ground you can cover with a few rockets on bigger maps. Also, you don't lose 1/3 of your health (unless I'm doing it wrong) from a single rocket jump. :p
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quake Live...an old school FPS online multiplayer skill-based goodness!   Today at 3:42 am

Back to top Go down

Quake Live...an old school FPS online multiplayer skill-based goodness!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1