Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!


Monster Hunter Wiki Forum

Monster Hunter information and General Talk
 
Get ConnectedHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) for 3DS

Share | 
 

 SnS Discussion Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ken Kurobasa
Cephalos


Thank you Points : 10

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: SnS Discussion Thread   Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:26 am

Because Master Onion wouldn't object! Simply discuss about the Sword and Shield... Also, no negative things about it like "SnS is sooo bad! Go Lance dawg!" Okay?
Back to top Go down
Vivi
Najarala


Thank you Points : 46

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): My connectivity is fine, thank you.

PostSubject: Re: SnS Discussion Thread   Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:42 am

Isnt it funny that the shield doesnt bounce when you hit a monsters face (Gaan,agna), yet your sword does?
The shield is tiny after all...
I never did understand the logic in this game.
Back to top Go down
http://mhwiki.forumotion.net/u2509
Godzilla2195
Seltas


Thank you Points : 44

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: SnS Discussion Thread   Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:38 am

Sapphire wrote:
Isnt it funny that the shield doesnt bounce when you hit a monsters face (Gaan,agna), yet your sword does?
The shield is tiny after all...
I never did understand the logic in this game.

The game decides when it should conform to reality and when it should be absurd. Part of the charm, if you ask me.

I've only played with one SnS user that made any lasting impression on me. Their name was Angel, and they still get on every now and then. Anyway, Angel was primarily concerned with aiding the team as we farmed stout horns. He kept all of us in good health, so much so that we never needed to heal ourselves. He also managed sonic bombs, flashes, and traps, making the Diablos such a push-over, that at the end of the quest, every one agreed that Angel was the hero of the team. If I ever use SnS's, that's how I try to play: Put the team before damage.

Obviously, for me, the strength of the Sword and Shield is in it's ability to quickly use items.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Ken Kurobasa
Cephalos


Thank you Points : 10

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: SnS Discussion Thread   Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:03 pm

I do have to agree that the Sword and Shield works well as a support melee, but, with right setups can hold it's own fairly well. Though, it does lack the burst damage or overall crazy dps from weapons like GS and Lance, it does however in my opinion, possess a rather stylish way of how it handle's itself in attacks and movements.
Back to top Go down
Ultimate Jaggi
Gore Magala


Thank you Points : 12

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): The U.S.

PostSubject: Re: SnS Discussion Thread   Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:32 pm

@Stabster wrote:
@Godzilla2195 wrote:
Obviously, for me, the strength of the Sword and Shield is in it's ability to quickly use items.

Ala SnS is the best dragon SnS...the raw power does matter.


If raw power mattered that much, then the jhen sns would come out on top.

However, it's not just about element either. If it was, then divine exodus would be on top. Which is obviously not the case.
I'm not saying that other snses are better than ala star, I'm just saying its not just about raw.

I believe sns gets it damage 60% from its raw and 40% from its element.

So you are correct; however, it is not entirely dependent on raw but rather, on both. THAT's Why its the best; it has a decent balance of both.

That and its sharpness.

Just saiyan. :hiccc:
Back to top Go down
MasterOnion
Moderator


Thank you Points : 43

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: SnS Discussion Thread   Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:43 pm

I like how with SnS' you have to plan ahead for the monster you are going to fight. It gives it an element of strategy that other weapons just don't have in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Chips
Shagaru Magala


Thank you Points : 108

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Sun

PostSubject: Re: SnS Discussion Thread   Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:16 pm

@Ultimate Jaggi wrote:
@Stabster wrote:
@Godzilla2195 wrote:
Obviously, for me, the strength of the Sword and Shield is in it's ability to quickly use items.

Ala SnS is the best dragon SnS...the raw power does matter.


If raw power mattered that much, then the jhen sns would come out on top.

However, it's not just about element either. If it was, then divine exodus would be on top. Which is obviously not the case.
I'm not saying that other snses are better than ala star, I'm just saying its not just about raw.

I believe sns gets it damage 60% from its raw and 40% from its element.

So you are correct; however, it is not entirely dependent on raw but rather, on both. THAT's Why its the best; it has a decent balance of both.

That and its sharpness.

Just saiyan. :hiccc:

Jhen SnS loses because Ala SnS has more "raw" damage x:

because... purple sharpness is practically an AUL (ever better)

So yea that's why Ala SnS > Jhen SnS

Also the fact that Ala SnS even has added dragon element :3

Raw power does matter, but you should always go for monster elemental weakness with SnS.

Basically Ala wins over all dragon SnS due to its raw and sharpness.
Back to top Go down
Ken Kurobasa
Cephalos


Thank you Points : 10

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: SnS Discussion Thread   Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:32 pm

@MasterOnion wrote:
I like how with SnS' you have to plan ahead for the monster you are going to fight. It gives it an element of strategy that other weapons just don't have in my opinion.

That, that right there is one of the top 3 reasons why I love using the SnS. Besides bowguns (I don't clust spam, only use them if I got them, rather use my other, more fun shots) there is a element of planning that is needed to use that weapon. Lances and long swords have crazy dps that almost makes it so element doesn't matter sometimes. Great Swords have that lv 3 charge, Hammers that super pound, switch axes that sword mode... see the point?
Back to top Go down
Chips
Shagaru Magala


Thank you Points : 108

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Sun

PostSubject: Re: SnS Discussion Thread   Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:30 pm

@Ken Kurobasa wrote:
@MasterOnion wrote:
I like how with SnS' you have to plan ahead for the monster you are going to fight. It gives it an element of strategy that other weapons just don't have in my opinion.

That, that right there is one of the top 3 reasons why I love using the SnS. Besides bowguns (I don't clust spam, only use them if I got them, rather use my other, more fun shots) there is a element of planning that is needed to use that weapon. Lances and long swords have crazy dps that almost makes it so element doesn't matter sometimes. Great Swords have that lv 3 charge, Hammers that super pound, switch axes that sword mode... see the point?

I disagree on the LS, SA and Lance part. During on the way to HR51 element does matter a bit. Of course at endgame, they won't matter much. They are not as dependent as SnS is on element, however for non-endgame gear you'd want elemental match up too for those weapons.
Back to top Go down
Ken Kurobasa
Cephalos


Thank you Points : 10

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: SnS Discussion Thread   Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:53 pm

Well I was thinking endgame, sorry I didn't think about before endgame XD. Anyhow, I do feel there are some monsters that are just more fun to face down with the sword and shield than other weapons. My example is barioth because to me, it is a mirror match of speed.
Back to top Go down
Ultimate Jaggi
Gore Magala


Thank you Points : 12

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): The U.S.

PostSubject: Re: SnS Discussion Thread   Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:57 pm

@Chips wrote:
@Ultimate Jaggi wrote:
@Stabster wrote:
@Godzilla2195 wrote:
Obviously, for me, the strength of the Sword and Shield is in it's ability to quickly use items.

Ala SnS is the best dragon SnS...the raw power does matter.


If raw power mattered that much, then the jhen sns would come out on top.

However, it's not just about element either. If it was, then divine exodus would be on top. Which is obviously not the case.
I'm not saying that other snses are better than ala star, I'm just saying its not just about raw.

I believe sns gets it damage 60% from its raw and 40% from its element.

So you are correct; however, it is not entirely dependent on raw but rather, on both. THAT's Why its the best; it has a decent balance of both.

That and its sharpness.

Just saiyan. :hiccc:

Jhen SnS loses because Ala SnS has more "raw" damage x:

because... purple sharpness is practically an AUL (ever better)

So yea that's why Ala SnS > Jhen SnS

Also the fact that Ala SnS even has added dragon element :3

Raw power does matter, but you should always go for monster elemental weakness with SnS.

Basically Ala wins over all dragon SnS due to its raw and sharpness.

I know all o' dis.

But "technically" he wasn't including sharpness when he said that. However, you're right.

I still think calm sands looks pretty cool on my back :X
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
It's meh
Seregios


Thank you Points : 60

PostSubject: Re: SnS Discussion Thread   Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:52 am

@Ultimate Jaggi wrote:
@Stabster wrote:
@Godzilla2195 wrote:
Obviously, for me, the strength of the Sword and Shield is in it's ability to quickly use items.

Ala SnS is the best dragon SnS...the raw power does matter.


If raw power mattered that much, then the jhen sns would come out on top.

Wat
Back to top Go down
Kanade
Seregios


Thank you Points : 172

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Generations
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: SnS Discussion Thread   Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:18 am

To clear up some misconceptions and this applies to all weapons

Purple sharpness is not like AUL, its much better there's no comparison; from blue to white is where the boost most resembles AUL and the sharpness boost will win slightly in raw and 100% in elemental (since AUL has no affects on element)

Element will only beat out on Raw if you aren't hitting the weakest point of the monster, since the value from element on all slashes are constant, or if some monsters take high elemental but low raw on some parts (Diablos horns will break faster with elemental damage, Uragaan's chin as well)

SnS have low percents for each individual slash on the raw that's why its considered an elemental weapon, but the raw will still count for most of it's damage on most monster hitzones
Back to top Go down
https://xmaskanade.tumblr.com
Yuki
Rajang


Thank you Points : 18

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3ds
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: SnS Discussion Thread   Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:53 pm

@Ken Kurobasa wrote:
@MasterOnion wrote:
I like how with SnS' you have to plan ahead for the monster you are going to fight. It gives it an element of strategy that other weapons just don't have in my opinion.

That, that right there is one of the top 3 reasons why I love using the SnS. Besides bowguns (I don't clust spam, only use them if I got them, rather use my other, more fun shots) there is a element of planning that is needed to use that weapon. Lances and long swords have crazy dps that almost makes it so element doesn't matter sometimes. Great Swords have that lv 3 charge, Hammers that super pound, switch axes that sword mode... see the point?

I rather go with axe mode than sword mode I rather work with the raw damage from axe mode than the element boost of sword mode
Back to top Go down
Kanade
Seregios


Thank you Points : 172

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Generations
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: SnS Discussion Thread   Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:51 pm

use a Power phial axe then o,O
Back to top Go down
https://xmaskanade.tumblr.com
PeaceofBert
Aptonoth


Thank you Points : 4

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: SnS Discussion Thread   Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:12 am

I love Sword and Shield, I love how active you have to be to use it; jumping around and what not. It's a very exciting way to play the game. Been using it since I started, and I've tried other weapons but....it's just not the same.

I think my favorite SnS would have to be Wagga Wagga...though I have refrained from using it because it doesn't look as cool with my new outfit like Calm Sands does. Favorite monsters are Barroth, Barioth, and Jho. Barioth is especially fun because it's speed against speed. Another thing to mention is that it's a great solo weapon. You have easy accessibility to items that change the tide of battle. Defense, attack, mobility...in my opinion it's the perfect weapon.

Back to top Go down
Ultimate Jaggi
Gore Magala


Thank you Points : 12

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): The U.S.

PostSubject: Re: SnS Discussion Thread   Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:04 pm

@PeaceofBert wrote:
I love Sword and Shield, I love how active you have to be to use it; jumping around and what not. It's a very exciting way to play the game. Been using it since I started, and I've tried other weapons but....it's just not the same.

I think my favorite SnS would have to be Wagga Wagga...though I have refrained from using it because it doesn't look as cool with my new outfit like Calm Sands does. Favorite monsters are Barroth, Barioth, and Jho. Barioth is especially fun because it's speed against speed. Another thing to mention is that it's a great solo weapon. You have easy accessibility to items that change the tide of battle. Defense, attack, mobility...in my opinion it's the perfect weapon.


Ahh...
Wagga wagga and calm sands...
The most fun to use, yet the least practical or powerful?
Back to top Go down
PeaceofBert
Aptonoth


Thank you Points : 4

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: SnS Discussion Thread   Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:06 pm

@Ultimate Jaggi wrote:
Ahh...
Wagga wagga and calm sands...
The most fun to use, yet the least practical or powerful?

Yeah I hear that a lot. I don't mind, but I believe that the most powerful/practical weapon/armor is the one your most comfortable with. And among SnS there are differences. It just feels different...Toxic Fang feels different than using Wagga Wagga and Wagga Wagga feels different than Calm Sands.

Besides that, how much power do you really need? I mean...the only monsters I haven't taken down by myself are Jhen, Ala, and Jho...and that's possibly only because I haven't tried. I've even done dual monster quests...
Any more power and I'd be afraid of Wagga Wagga /scar/

Back to top Go down
Neptyc
Bnahabra


Thank you Points : 17

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: SnS Discussion Thread   Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:46 am

About the only time I find myself reaching for an SnS is when I feel like stating with a melee weapon.Usually using para so that I can try and stun once it's been para'd,for that extended immobility. xD
Back to top Go down
Chips
Shagaru Magala


Thank you Points : 108

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Sun

PostSubject: Re: SnS Discussion Thread   Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:43 am

@Ultimate Jaggi wrote:


Ahh...
Wagga wagga and calm sands...
The most fun to use, yet the least practical or powerful?

The deadliest SnS is hands-down without question the Deadly Knife.
Back to top Go down
Vivi
Najarala


Thank you Points : 46

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): My connectivity is fine, thank you.

PostSubject: Re: SnS Discussion Thread   Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:26 am

@Chips wrote:
@Ultimate Jaggi wrote:


Ahh...
Wagga wagga and calm sands...
The most fun to use, yet the least practical or powerful?

The deadliest SnS is hands-down without question the Deadly Knife.

So deadly it doesnt even need status/elemental damage :l
Back to top Go down
http://mhwiki.forumotion.net/u2509
Chips
Shagaru Magala


Thank you Points : 108

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Sun

PostSubject: Re: SnS Discussion Thread   Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:32 am

Sapphire wrote:
@Chips wrote:
@Ultimate Jaggi wrote:


Ahh...
Wagga wagga and calm sands...
The most fun to use, yet the least practical or powerful?

The deadliest SnS is hands-down without question the Deadly Knife.

So deadly it doesnt even need status/elemental damage :l

It's rank 3 with BLUE Sharpness. It's that badass.
Back to top Go down
PeaceofBert
Aptonoth


Thank you Points : 4

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: SnS Discussion Thread   Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:28 pm

I agree...I discovered Deadly Knife for the first time in this playthrough...and yeah I was surprised at how powerful it was and how early you can get it. If I ever start over again I'm setting my sights on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: SnS Discussion Thread   Today at 5:41 pm

Back to top Go down
 
SnS Discussion Thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Wrestling Discussion Thread
» Discussion: Shion Uzuki
» ISCC Meeting 3 - Discussion Thread - Suzuka
» Stock Car Meeting 8 Discussion Thread Sunset (Speedway Reverse)
» HRC - Round 3 - Rally Italia - Discussion Thread

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Monster Hunter Wiki Forum :: Nintendo :: Wii :: Monster Hunter 3 (Tri)-
Jump to: