Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
I discovered a great early armor and jewel combination! Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
I discovered a great early armor and jewel combination! Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

I discovered a great early armor and jewel combination!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jake Johnson
Khezu

Thank you Points : 0

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

I discovered a great early armor and jewel combination! Empty
PostSubject: I discovered a great early armor and jewel combination!   I discovered a great early armor and jewel combination! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 10:23 pm

Believe me, this one could take you all the way to and through Barroth!

(It did for me.)

Full Alloy Armor with Expert Jewels.

Advantages:

Alloy Armor has Speed Sharpener, which reduces the time and animation required to sharpen your weapon to 1/3 of the usual time and animation (one stroke of a Whetstone instead of three.)

With the Expert Jewels, you'll end up with Critical Eye (a skill that believe me, will be worth more to you than even AuM or AuL!)

This is because Critical Eye improves your accuracy, increasing the number of hits, while AuM or AuL just increases the power of those hits.

With this armor and jewel combo, I have eliminated Great Jaggi in a Moga Woods scavenge in far less time than I could with Jaggi Armor gemmed to AuM!
Back to top Go down
MasterOnion
MasterOnion

Thank you Points : 43

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: I discovered a great early armor and jewel combination!   I discovered a great early armor and jewel combination! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2012 11:17 pm

Jake Johnson wrote:

(It did for me.)

Advantages:

Alloy Armor has Speed Sharpener, which reduces the time and animation required to sharpen your weapon to 1/3 of the usual time and animation (one stroke of a Whetstone instead of three.)

With the Expert Jewels, you'll end up with Critical Eye (a skill that believe me, will be worth more to you than even AuM or AuL!)

This is because Critical Eye improves your accuracy, increasing the number of hits, while AuM or AuL just increases the power of those hits.

With this armor and jewel combo, I have eliminated Great Jaggi in a Moga Woods scavenge in far less time than I could with Jaggi Armor gemmed to AuM!

That actually is a pretty common set for early village and low rank quests, but that isn't how critical eye works at all. Critical eye raises the chances for a critical hit to occur, not improves your accuracy.Often times attack up does more damage over time than critical eye so it is actually worse than AuM and AuL in most cases (this one is partially luck based as there is a small chance that you will get more critical hits than projected, but there is also the chance that you could get less). The only skill that changes accuracy is deviation, and that only applies to gunners.
Back to top Go down
JFizzle
Seregios
JFizzle

Thank you Points : 129

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Dystopian US

PostSubject: Re: I discovered a great early armor and jewel combination!   I discovered a great early armor and jewel combination! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 12:51 am

MasterOnion wrote:
Jake Johnson wrote:

(It did for me.)

Advantages:

That actually is a pretty common set for early village and low rank quests, but that isn't how critical eye works at all. Critical eye raises the chances for a critical hit to occur, not improves your accuracy.Often times attack up does more damage over time than critical eye so it is actually worse than AuM and AuL in most cases (this one is partially luck based as there is a small chance that you will get more critical hits than projected, but there is also the chance that you could get less). The only skill that changes accuracy is deviation, and that only applies to gunners.

^^Well Put Master Onion. When he said Accuracy for CE, I was like "I've been using Precision wrong for so long!" LOL

The rule of thumb for CE Vs AU L,M, or S is this man: If gunning, go with CE, If Meleeing, go with
AU.

The reason is this: Melee, on average, deals more dmg per strike, usually requiring less hits to accomplish your goal. With gunning, you will deal alot more slightly less damaging hits, on average, requiring more hits to accomplish your goal. Also, most of the worthwhile ammos strike multiple times. This increase in the amount of hits (Especially with Pierce) increases your number of hits greatly enough that the number of crits will usually lay more damage than AU, throughout the course of the hunt. Plus the Atk boost from AU with a BG is usually not significant.

All of that aside, I am a big fan of Alloy armor, but I would gem in Evade+1 before CE.
Back to top Go down
quidam
Deviljho
quidam

Thank you Points : 135

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: I discovered a great early armor and jewel combination!   I discovered a great early armor and jewel combination! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2012 6:03 am

^no the reason guns generally prefer CE and melee AuX is that CE gives you a % attack increase (on average) of 2,5% per skill level, AuX gives you an attack increase of 10/15/20*(class multiplier).

on nearly every situation the fixed increase from AuX on melee weapons is superior to the % one of CE, much more so on low rank weapons with low starting raw values.

guns on the other hand have the lowest class multiplier and a very high raw/multiplier relation (true raw?) so the % increase from CE is superior... but even then it is only true for guns that have more than 300 or so raw (can't remember the exact number out of my head).

tl:dr: AuX is better than CE on everything except end-game guns.

...that said it's a small difference in the end that will probably save you only a few hits over the entire hunt, so whatever.

interesting facts: AuL on many low rank weapons beats sharpenss+1 in terms of pure raw power.
also the higher the base affinity on a weapon the worse CE is compared to AuX (so no adding CE to sabertooth, it's really silly)

the number of hits has no relevance whatsoever on the comparison of the 2 skills, in mathematical terms the higher number of hits would just reduce the deviation from the average of your damage... but it's entirely irrelevant because you already deal enough hits to consider the deviation reasonably small.
Back to top Go down
Jake Johnson
Khezu

Thank you Points : 0

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: I discovered a great early armor and jewel combination!   I discovered a great early armor and jewel combination! Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 9:53 pm

I get it - the Expert skill applies more to gunning than swordplay, so I've gone back to my good ol' Great Jaggi Armor gemmed to AuM.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I discovered a great early armor and jewel combination!   I discovered a great early armor and jewel combination! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I discovered a great early armor and jewel combination!
Page 1 of 1