Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Sword and Shield: How does damage work? Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Sword and Shield: How does damage work? Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Sword and Shield: How does damage work?

Go down 
+2
MasterOnion
X Kitsune X
6 posters
AuthorMessage
X Kitsune X
Bnahabra
X Kitsune X

Thank you Points : 8

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

Sword and Shield: How does damage work? Empty
PostSubject: Sword and Shield: How does damage work?   Sword and Shield: How does damage work? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 8:30 pm

So I've been using the Sword and Shield for almost a thousand hours on Monster Hunter now, but I'm yet to discover exactly how their damage formula works. I have a few questions regarding:

1. Damage multipliers. What is the multiplier on the Sword and Shield's attacks? Are there any attacks that have an unusually high multiplier? (Like how the final stab in the lance charge does more damage) I would also like to know if the Sword and Shield applies any 'bonus' damage under certain conditions, like how the Great Sword does more damage when hitting the monster with the hilt of the blade rather than the tip?

2. Element multipliers. How do multipliers work regarding element? If I have a Sword and
Shield with 520 fire element, does apply 520 element per hit, or is it reduced?

3. Status frequencies. Same question as the element multiplier, but do I still apply status on attacks that do not show the visual effect? Furthermore, how is the chance of inflicting status damage calculated? Is it just luck? (By this, I mean how does the game calculate if my attack is simply a normal attack, or hits with a visual effect?)

Thanks for reading, and if there's any other mathematics related stuff about the Sword and Shield, please tell me, as I'd love to know!
Back to top Go down
MasterOnion
MasterOnion

Thank you Points : 43

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri

PostSubject: Re: Sword and Shield: How does damage work?   Sword and Shield: How does damage work? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 8:59 pm

This is just what I remember off the top of my head, but here goes:

Sns gets an extra .06 multiplier for it's cutting attacks, other than that it's as shown with a multiplier of 1.4 (meaning 1.46 for cutting attacks.) I'll copy and paste the percent of damage outputted by the attacks the sns does
Spoiler:

I dont remember how element works, but I believe you divide it by 10 for your true elemental attribute regardless of what weapon type you have for tri. So basically, if it's listed as 520 then it is actually 52. After that you just multiply by the sharpness modifier and the resistance of the hitzone.

Status damage is only done when the effect shows, and as far as I know that occurs randomly. Other than that it's the same as element except that you don't have to worry about hitzones.

If you have any more questions or if I explained badly let me know.
Back to top Go down
TKMT
Seltas
TKMT

Thank you Points : 12

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): North America, U.S.

PostSubject: Re: Sword and Shield: How does damage work?   Sword and Shield: How does damage work? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2012 10:36 pm

X Kitsune X wrote:
So I've been using the Sword and Shield for almost a thousand hours on Monster Hunter now, but I'm yet to discover exactly how their damage formula works. I have a few questions regarding:

1. Damage multipliers. What is the multiplier on the Sword and Shield's attacks? Are there any attacks that have an unusually high multiplier? (Like how the final stab in the lance charge does more damage)
Maybe one or two if you consider it a high percentage.
The Revolving Slice does 24% of it's attack, and the Horizontal combo's first hit does 20%.
Those two hits are the ones with the most percentage.
I don't find these percentages unusually high, though.

X Kitsune X wrote:
I would also like to know if the Sword and Shield applies any 'bonus' damage under certain conditions, like how the Great Sword does more damage when hitting the monster with the hilt of the blade rather than the tip?
Simply cutting gives you a small boost.. a 1.06 multiplier in your attack.
Shield bashing doesn't get this boost.

But as for cutting with the middle of your blade... There's no boost like that.

X Kitsune X wrote:
2. Element multipliers. How do multipliers work regarding element? If I have a Sword and
Shield with 520 fire element, does apply 520 element per hit, or is it reduced?
Nope, the element isn't reduced for the SnS. You still get the element division of 10 like every other blademaster weapon(minus lance, since its charge divides its element by 4) and you still have monster's elemental resistances.

X Kitsune X wrote:
3. Status frequencies. Same question as the element multiplier, but do I still apply status on attacks that do not show the visual effect?
Nope. Attacks that don't show the status animation do not inflict said status.

X Kitsune X wrote:
Furthermore, how is the chance of inflicting status damage calculated? Is it just luck? (By this, I mean how does the game calculate if my attack is simply a normal attack, or hits with a visual effect?)
I'm not sure, myself... I'm sure it's inflicted by luck. A 50/50 chance per strike, maybe?
Plus it's divided much like the element.

Back to top Go down
Jader7777
Cephalos
Jader7777

Thank you Points : 2

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use):

PostSubject: Re: Sword and Shield: How does damage work?   Sword and Shield: How does damage work? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 1:59 am

I am speaking totally from experience being a SnS status user.

Status effects occur according to a 'status damage' for that element that builds up as you hit it. Every hit you land (even the shield bash I think!) does status damage.

You need to build up a certain amount of status damage over time to get the actual effect to trigger though, every time the effect is triggered the next trigger will take longer to get.

Monsters status damage goes down over time, the only way to effectively apply status effects is to constantly apply it.

The best way to observe this would be to use a status bowgun. From memory it takes 3 Para Lvl2 shots to paralyze a Rathian. The next time it will take 5 shots and the next time will take 8 shots. I think it stays at 8 shots for the rest of the mission

Other important things to keep in mind:

- Rage mode temporarily doubles the monsters immunity to status damage.
- When a monster is 'tired' and drooling and whatnot it seems status effects become MORE effective. Here's some interesting things I've noticed:
+ Para when in rage mode = 1.5 seconds
+ Para when in normal mode = 3.5 seconds
+ Para when exhausted = 5.5 seconds
+ Para when normal mode in a pitfall trap = 4.5 seconds
+ Para when exhausted in a pitfall trap = Up to 8 seconds possibly
- Status knifes, status meats, status shots and status weapons all stack nicely.
- Poison is more effective against monsters with low base hit points or that are too heavily armored to deal decent damage to. IE: Uraagan (Armored), Agnakator (Armored), Barioth (Low HP)

Main status effects afflicted to monsters:
- Sleep (First hit to wake deals x2 damage)
- Paralyze (Locks the monster in place, good time to cut a tail!)
- Poison (Deals fixed damage over time even if it runs away)

Other status effects:
- Stunned (Flash bomb effect, can be stacked with Knocked Out)
- Knocked Out (Bash damage to the head with a hammer mostly, can be stacked with Stunned)
- Shocked (Shock trap, works very similar to Paralyze)
- Pit fall'd (Stuck in the ground, no access to tail but good access to head, in this state you can stack other effects such as Paralyze, Stunned and Knocked out to make the pit fall trap last even longer! Apparently up to 13 seconds)
- Exhausted (Over time the monster will become tired, but it will also become tired with bash damage, it will become slower and less accurate in this state but will try to run away and eat to recover. If you interrupt it's eating you can keep it's stamina low)
- Limping (It's ready to trap or close to death! This is different from exhausted so be careful)
- Resting (The monster may run away and sleep in a different area, it recovers HP and stamina in this state so don't be slow in waking it up)
Back to top Go down
X Kitsune X
Bnahabra
X Kitsune X

Thank you Points : 8

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Sword and Shield: How does damage work?   Sword and Shield: How does damage work? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 6:20 am

MasterOnion wrote:
This is just what I remember off the top of my head, but here goes:

Sns gets an extra .06 multiplier for it's cutting attacks, other than that it's as shown with a multiplier of 1.4 (meaning 1.46 for cutting attacks.) I'll copy and paste the percent of damage outputted by the attacks the sns does
Spoiler:

I dont remember how element works, but I believe you divide it by 10 for your true elemental attribute regardless of what weapon type you have for tri. So basically, if it's listed as 520 then it is actually 52. After that you just multiply by the sharpness modifier and the resistance of the hitzone.

Status damage is only done when the effect shows, and as far as I know that occurs randomly. Other than that it's the same as element except that you don't have to worry about hitzones.

If you have any more questions or if I explained badly let me know.

So all slicing attacks have a 1.06 multiplier, and the SnS gets a 1.40 damage multiplier as standard huh? So if my SnS has 252 power and I use a horizontal slash...
252(/100*6)*1.46 = 58.6 damage, without taking into account hitzones?
Back to top Go down
navgoose
Seltas Queen
navgoose

Thank you Points : 62

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title:

PostSubject: Re: Sword and Shield: How does damage work?   Sword and Shield: How does damage work? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 11:28 am

X Kitsune X wrote:

So all slicing attacks have a 1.06 multiplier, and the SnS gets a 1.40 damage multiplier as standard huh? So if my SnS has 252 power and I use a horizontal slash...

Not even close.

The 1.4 multiplier is for the displayed attack power to give the player a sense of overall weapon attack %. It gets divided out prior to damage calculation. This 1.4 is for SnS only, each weapon has its own display multiplier often called a weapon class mod. Once you get the weapon's true attack power, then you start calculations for attack type and monster hitzone and a slew of other modifiers like sharpness and special (SnS "sword" hits are another 1.06%) and quest. Element is calculated separately when applied (element is calculated the same for all blademaster weapons using a 10 class mod and skipping attack type except in the case of lance charge).

Weapon-Qurupeco Chopper
Target-Lagi head quest Fisherman's Friend 3*

182 displayed attack, 220 fire element. Attack type is unsheathe attack underwater.

RAW 182/1.4 = 130

130 * .18 * 1.05 * 1.06 * .95 * .4 = 9 (truncated)

Element 220/10 = 22

22 * .15 * .95 = 3

12 total damage from that attack.

Back to top Go down
It's meh
Seregios
It's meh

Thank you Points : 60

PostSubject: Re: Sword and Shield: How does damage work?   Sword and Shield: How does damage work? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 5:44 pm

X Kitsune X wrote:

Not really.

Class multipliers are actually pretty useless.
The number may as well not exist and true raw should only be shown.

Here is a SNS attacking an aptonoth.
Hit 1: ([182 + 1.4 x 0] x 1 x 0.16 x 1 x 1 x 1 x 1.05 x 1.2 x 1.06 / 1.4 + [220 x 1] x 1 x 0.55 x 1 / 10) x 1 x 1 = 39

Now I'm gonna go by these numbers one by one:
Hit 1: = This is your hit

(([182 + 1.4 x 0]) = This is gonna end up being your displayed attack. 182 is the base number for the peco chopper, 1.4 is your weapon class. The 0 changes with might pills and Demon drugs or attack up skills. The higher your weapon class divider, the higher the number will be.

x 1 = Not sure what the technical name for this is, but this number is changed according to what your skill is, skills like Fortify or Adrenaline/heroics. This number is pretty unique since it's applied to the damage as well as being multiplied and added to your displayed damage.
Adrenaline+2 and ATL will make the peco chopper have a displayed attack of 273

x 0.16 = This number is your attack type. The more powerful the attack you use, the higher this number will be, and the more damage you will do.

x 1 = If someone could fill me in on this, I'd like that... Though, I think these are applied to other weapons like the LS or something, I could be wrong)

x 1 = (same as above)

x 1 = (same as above)

x 1.05 = Your sharpness variable, the higher sharpness level you have, the stronger your attacks will be. Sharpness isn't some fancy color to find out what you can just cut through, it also determines how strong you are, so remember to keep that in mind.

x 1.2 = The monster hitzone. The bigger the number the more damage you do.
More monsters have lower hitzone values, reducing the amount of damage you do, like agnaktor in armor mode.

x 1.06 = The SNS special multiplier, which boosts the cutting damage. This number is not given with shield based attacks.

/ 1.4 = Your class divider. This will divide what your damage is or divide your displayed attack.

+ (Now for the additional element damage!)

[220 x 1] = This will be your displayed element damage. 220 is your base element, and 1 is the variable that can be changed by having element attack up (1.2).

x 1 = Your sharpness variable.

x 0.55 = the resistance zone, the higher the number, the more element you deal.

x 1 / 10) = Not too sure if these are together, but focus on that /10, since that will divide your total displayed element by 10. So if you had 500, you'd actually have 50.

x 1 = (Same as other numbers I'm not too familiar with XD)

x 1 = (this is the status variable, so when the monster is paralyzed the number is 1.05, and 2 when the monster is sleeping) So, since this is separate from the weapon, this number will only increase the damage done.

= 39 = Your total damage actually given.

I hope this helps you out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sword and Shield: How does damage work?   Sword and Shield: How does damage work? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sword and Shield: How does damage work?
Page 1 of 1