Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!

Monster Hunter Wiki Forum

Monster Hunter information and General Talk

Get ConnectedHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) for 3DS

Share | 

Derpiest monster?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
GrashXL002
Yian Garuga

Thank you Points : 0

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): England

PostSubject: Derpiest monster?   Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

I gotta say peco, I stabbed him until he died and he never noticed I was...
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
AzureGreen
Aptonoth

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3ds
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use):

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:39 am

@MetaMarx wrote:
Okay so Roon made a mistake. No big deal. Sure Roon may have responed in a way that was not appropriate, but if the insult of "being a nerd" was such a grade school thing, Azure should have been able to shrug it off and not let it bother him/her (Sorry idk your gender). Let's just move on.

So on topic. I think Nibelsnarf is pretty derpy. The placement of its eyes just bothers me. Gypseros is also a derp. It just flails around chasing you.
Huh? I wasn't mad. I was just trying to explain things to her.

Has anyone noticed that the older monsters seem less derpy than the newer third generation monsters?
Back to top Go down
DemonPants
Aptonoth

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:43 am

@Otoshimo wrote:
@DemonPants wrote:
A lot of the monsters like to just stop when they are low on health. It makes me feel like they forgot something so important that they don't care about the various painful things obliterating them. I don't think I can choose one.

when you get your ass kicked for 10 - 25 minutes straight to the point where your body is just running off of adrenaline and your being killed slowly,

i'm pretty sure you would have no energy & need to stop and take a breather, too.

That argument would make sense if they wouldn't then have full abilities just by getting mad. That's what makes it derpy, they clearly aren't that worn out if they can unleash everything in their arsenal at that point. There have been multiple times in Freedom Unite where monsters have done that, but then by getting mad went on to destroy me.
Back to top Go down
AzureGreen
Aptonoth

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:55 am

@PAiN--- wrote:
Volvidon looks pretty derpy xD
Volvidon is derpy. All he does is bounce around, like that's a realistic fighting technique. That, and is creepy tongue. I know what he's based off of, but ____. That tongue. Annoying. I hate it.

That's all he is. Annoying. Rolling and bouncing is all he wants to do. I can't imagine an intelligent monster would ever think that fighting its foes by bouncing and rolling around is a reasonable tactic.
Back to top Go down
Otoshimo
Seregios

Thank you Points : 9

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Distortion World

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:00 am

@DemonPants wrote:
@Otoshimo wrote:
@DemonPants wrote:
A lot of the monsters like to just stop when they are low on health. It makes me feel like they forgot something so important that they don't care about the various painful things obliterating them. I don't think I can choose one.

when you get your ass kicked for 10 - 25 minutes straight to the point where your body is just running off of adrenaline and your being killed slowly,

i'm pretty sure you would have no energy & need to stop and take a breather, too.

That argument would make sense if they wouldn't then have full abilities just by getting mad. That's what makes it derpy, they clearly aren't that worn out if they can unleash everything in their arsenal at that point. There have been multiple times in Freedom Unite where monsters have done that, but then by getting mad went on to destroy me.

/palm/  that "getting mad" thing is based off of the adrenal response of Fight-or-flight, a common instinct of all animals.
Adrenaline 'pushes the body beyond it's capably limits to perform extraordinary performances unreachable at the current state of said animal'
when a real world animal reaches its point of exhaustion & cannot escape in such situation, it has to 'fight', thus it's body produces adrenaline to push it to its limits and fight back fullfledged

So yes, the fact that capcom actually incoprorated a very real aspect of the modern world into their monster wolrd video game mechanics makes perfect logic. Since Adrenaline isn't produced  over long periods of time, it's quite believable that a giant frucking dragon could breathe fire in a bloodrage one minute and the next minute succumb to an exhausted state and be incapable of expelling fire. Capcom did their homework when they took into consideration of how to make fantasy-based monsters behave as believable as real animals
Back to top Go down
http://www.wwwdotcom.com
Vortiene
Lao-Shan Lung

Thank you Points : 281

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Canada

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:59 am

Were not applying logic to monster hunter again are we guys?
Back to top Go down
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Vortiene
Yuki
Rajang

Thank you Points : 18

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:47 am

Bleh can't believe I have to enter this thread.

Anywho... To the person who called the prey and jaggi species derpy. What are you basing this off of? They all have a pack mentality Sure they are not the strongest and the easiest to kill but if you get stuck with a weapon like lance or GS they will wither your health like there is no tomorrow. If they were any stronger it would not be fair I've had situations where I had 7-10 prey/jaggi species leave me near death because the weapon I used made me an easy target for them.

Monster Hunter is a bit unfair to the raptor family for sure but if you take in consideration what they were based off of and what animals they would have taken down you wouldn't really call them derpy they are just seriously underpowered and made to live at the bottom of the food chain.
Back to top Go down
Vortiene
Lao-Shan Lung

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:22 am

i think you are misunderstanding the term derpy. They look and move all awkwardly, thats why they are derpy.
Back to top Go down
Yuki
Rajang

Thank you Points : 18

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:40 am

I don't see how they move awkwardly at all. Then again I may just be biased considering how much I've played. I hardly ever nitpick unless it comes to the difficulty or lack of it to be precise
Back to top Go down
Vortiene
Lao-Shan Lung

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:53 am

im not complaining about the game, saying a monster looks and moves stupidly doesnt mean it sucks as a monster overall
Back to top Go down
AzureGreen
Aptonoth

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:21 am

@Vortiene wrote:
Were not applying logic to monster hunter again are we guys?

Right.

To apply logic to the monster doesn't make sense if we can't apply logic to half of the circumstances the hunters themselves are placed in.

At least half of the game is illogical in one way or another. So much so that arguing adrenaline and providing information that you know about adrenaline isn't going to make too many people believe that it's true.

I understand that the fights probably actually literally take place over weeks to months of scouting the area with numerous fights that may actually be hours long, but still. Maybe the adrenaline argument can make sense, but what about:

• Why Qurupeco can still make fire as well / at all when you break his flints
  • Why Red Qurupeco can still flashbomb when his voltstones are broken
  • Why Red Qurupeco can still make lightning when his voltstones are broken
  • Why Rathian can still poison if her venom is in her tailspikes when you've cut off her tail

The list goes on, of course, and there's even things so illogical for the hunter to be able to do that I just play pretend - as I should - since it's a video game.

Let's just agree to disagree. After all, it is just a video game, and the reason most of these things work may or may not be because Capcom did their homework. They may not have even researched adrenaline. Who knows? Who really cares? The point is that most things work just because the creators wanted them to.

Not ranting.

Not mad.

Not bashing.

Just explaining my side of the "logic in monster hunter" argument.
Back to top Go down
Otoshimo
Seregios

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:50 am

^ exactly, the creators wanted them to have a sort of realism to them. capcom has mentioned several times that they try to make their monsters to act & behave like it was a real animal to enhance the game experience. We're talking about the game where its advertisment mentions it as a self contained, dynamic ecosystem. the game where they base alot of aspects off of know animals and incorporate them into a playable mechanic.

That's the whole fucking point of monster hunter, that what makes a MH game stand out from other monster games. it's not just mindless monster vs. monster action game with building flying and military action. it's nit just some Dungeon game where you encounter the 1 dragon that could have easily escaped but instead chose to stand around until some moron walked into the cave. it has rim & reason for it. a fantasy game that boast a sense of realism without removing the fun of a fantasy video game.
Back to top Go down
Oni Zelkami
Lao-Shan Lung

Thank you Points : 151

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:04 pm

@Otoshimo wrote:
@DemonPants wrote:
@Otoshimo wrote:
@DemonPants wrote:

/palm/  that "getting mad" thing is based off of the adrenal response of Fight-or-flight, a common instinct of all animals.
Adrenaline 'pushes the body beyond it's capably limits to perform extraordinary performances unreachable at the current state of said animal'
when a real world animal reaches its point of exhaustion & cannot escape in such situation, it has to 'fight', thus it's body produces adrenaline to push it to its limits and fight back fullfledged

So yes, the fact that capcom actually incoprorated a very real aspect of the modern world into their monster wolrd video game mechanics makes perfect logic. Since Adrenaline isn't produced  over long periods of time, it's quite believable that a giant frucking dragon could breathe fire in a bloodrage one minute and the next minute succumb to an exhausted state and be incapable of expelling fire. Capcom did their homework when they took into consideration of how to make fantasy-based monsters behave as believable as real animals

Or, you know... Design choice.
Back to top Go down
AzureGreen
Aptonoth

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:12 pm

@Otoshimo wrote:
^ exactly, the creators wanted them to have a sort of realism to them. capcom has mentioned several times that they try to make their monsters to act & behave like it was a real animal to enhance the game experience. We're talking about the game where its advertisment mentions it as a self contained, dynamic ecosystem. the game where they base alot of aspects off of know animals and incorporate them into a playable mechanic.

That's the whole fucking point of monster hunter, that what makes a MH game stand out from other monster games. it's not just mindless monster vs. monster action game with building flying and military action. it's nit just some Dungeon game where you encounter the 1 dragon that could have easily escaped but instead chose to stand around until some moron walked into the cave. it has rim & reason for it. a fantasy game that boast a sense of realism without removing the fun of a fantasy video game.
I was actually...trying to say that Monster Hunter lacks realism. I'm pretty sure Oni Zelkami - and myself - are right. I think they literally just felt like making the monsters act that way.

Sure, your first paragraph may be right as you sound like you've read that somewhere, but I don't think adrenaline was one of those real-life aspects that they included into the game. I think they were just meaning how the monsters act in other aspects. I just can't fathom why they would incorporate adrenaline when so much else makes so little sense.

I mean, why can you even block monsters charging at you? You'd sooner brake your...body.

Why can you fight underwater? Most of the attacks done to you would knock the air out of you. Not only that, but I don't know anyone who can hold their breath that long while doing things that require serious concentration like...surviving.

Some of the weapons make no sense whatsoever, either. Especially my favorite, the Switch Axe.

I just... It just doesn't make sense to me that that would be included when so much else can be done just because they wanted it to work.

(Speaking of underwater monsters, Royal Ludroth looks silly.)
Back to top Go down
Lalo
Gore Magala

Thank you Points : 15

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Not yours for sure

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:17 pm

@Yuki wrote:
Anywho... To the person who called the prey and jaggi species derpy. What are you basing this off of?

The preys have a brain fart which to this date I still have no idea why in the middle of battle they completely stop for no reason.
My first Monster Hunter was tri, and I actually found Great Jaggi and Great Baggi somewhat "hard" when I was ranking up, specially Baggi cause it was faster, also those tail swings can be annoying since they dont trip you (at least when using LS) and they can leave some damage.

so yes, preys are derpy.
Jaggis Baggis and Froggis I dont think so
Back to top Go down
AzureGreen
Aptonoth

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:58 pm

Any smart monster wouldn't leave itself as open as the "aggi" or "prey" species does.
Back to top Go down
DemonPants
Aptonoth

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:25 pm

@Yuki wrote:

Anywho... To the person who called the prey and jaggi species derpy. What are you basing this off of? They all have a pack mentality Sure they are not the strongest and the easiest to kill but if you get stuck with a weapon like lance or GS they will wither your health like there is no tomorrow. If they were any stronger it would not be fair I've had situations where I had 7-10 prey/jaggi species leave me near death because the weapon I used made me an easy target for them.

Monster Hunter is a bit unfair to the raptor family for sure but if you take in consideration what they were based off of and what animals they would have taken down you wouldn't really call them derpy they are just seriously underpowered and made to live at the bottom of the food chain.
Then wouldn't we have to avoid naming a lot of the monsters that are low level weak monsters? I also completely disagree on GS with Jaggis and prey. The first time I fought a Great Jaggi on Tri I killed it in less than 10 minutes with the basic Great Sword. Of course, Tri wasn't my first MH. I started in Freedom 2, and the Preys and Dromes were only a little hard when I started with GS because they wouldn't stop hopping around.
Back to top Go down
AzureGreen
Aptonoth

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:33 pm

@Yuki wrote:

No one's forcing you to post here.

No one gets stuck with any particular weapon; you pick your weapon. I started out using Switch Axe - which isn't particularly quick, either - and I had no problem with the "aggi"s. I've easily Great Sworded a Great Jaggi, too, when I was just learning how to use it. The "aggi"s are pretty slow, making them an easy target for basically any weapon you choose.

That being said, I still think they're derpy. It doesn't matter how strong the monster is. It doesn't matter if the monster was designed to be easy. It's derpy because it looks and acts derpy.

There are other monsters we've said are derpy that are basically weaker than the Great Jaggi (i.e. Arzuros). Should we take him off the list? No. He's still derpy. He's still stupid, attacking with his hugs and stealing honey from you if you have it.

All levels of derpy...are accepted in the derpy monster's thread.
Back to top Go down
Otoshimo
Seregios

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:12 pm

@AzureGreen wrote:
it's derpy because it looks and acts derpy.

Spoiler:

so from your standpoint, anything that doesn't look badass and have a godzilla mentality of just blasting your ass to oblivion the 1st time and winning... is a derpstick?

....yup, still voting people are the derpiest thing to grace the MH-plains
Back to top Go down
AzureGreen
Aptonoth

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:29 pm

I know plenty well what the word means and what the thread is about.

I have my own opinions on what monsters are derpy - stupid - and you can have yours. I've listed a fair number of monsters and stated why I believe they are about a page or two back. I'm fairly certain that I'm entitled to my opinion.

I don't think that the monster has to be the most badass thing in the world. Rathalos is pretty lame - in my opinion - but I don't think he's derpy.

Whether someone thinks a monster is likable, badass, or difficult is all a matter of personal opinion.

I think the Dromes look pretty badass and neat, but I still think that they're derpy. (I still think they're stupid.)

Perhaps you just don't want others to go against your opinion?

Just agree to disagree.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
DemonPants
Aptonoth

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:32 pm

@AzureGreen wrote:
Just agree to disagree.

This exactly, why are people so combative here?
Back to top Go down
Otoshimo
Seregios

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:39 am

That depends on how you define monster, kid.

and going of the standard definition of "any lifeform of a threatening force", I'd say the things using tools to slaughter a plethora of creatures for mear spot makes human count as monsters.

and going by how stupid humans are as a whole, I'd say that makes them derpy.
Back to top Go down
AzureGreen
Aptonoth

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:00 am

I'm 22.
Back to top Go down
DemonPants
Aptonoth

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:03 am

@Otoshimo wrote:
That depends on how you define monster, kid.

and going of the standard definition of "any lifeform of a threatening force", I'd say the things using tools to slaughter a plethora of creatures for mear spot makes human count as monsters.

and going by how stupid humans are as a whole, I'd say that makes them derpy.

Umm, how long have you been playing Monster Hunter? Only a few of the monsters are hunted for personal reasons. Most are hunted because of necessity. Do you really think these monsters that destroy villages are hunted because it's fun?
Back to top Go down
TheLaw

Thank you Points : 10

3DS friends code: 0748-2193-3471
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Australia

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:54 am

This continued arguing about what is 'derpy-er' than rather talking about the actual topic, has gone on for long enough

Thread Locked.
Back to top Go down
http://mhwiki.forumotion.net/u3769
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Derpiest monster?   Today at 11:30 am

Back to top Go down

Derpiest monster?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3