Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)

Go down 
+6
dcj91x
Ultimate Jaggi
Atalanta
Win32error
Quentin
Derb
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Derb
Rhenoplos

Thank you Points : 2

Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Empty
PostSubject: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 3:11 pm

According to IGN, the data transfer method to send your stuff from your Wii to Wii U includes game saves. Which should mean your MH3 data will be available to play on the Wii U, so you don't need to keep getting out your Wii just to play MH3 (in the waning last months that the servers are open).
Back to top Go down
Quentin
Rajang
Quentin

Thank you Points : 28

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): United States

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 6:49 pm

Probably not, seeing as how there's so much more content even in low rank than there is in the whole of Tri that sending over a save would be pointless
Back to top Go down
Win32error
Lead Admin
Win32error

Thank you Points : 89

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 7:01 pm

I think Derb means that those who get a WIIU now (before 3U comes out), won't have to keep the wii near to play MH. Also for those who get a WIIU, and don't buy 3U (why, i do not know).

This has been a fairly common thing, i still play one or two GC games on the wii, still with the same save files from years ago.

There may be one little issue with this: Tri's save data couldn't be transferred between wii's. At all. Only the arena data could be accessed (in the wiimote even), but tri is the only game i know of, that doesn't enable you to get the save data from the wii onto anything else.

It think that means no transfer?
Back to top Go down
Atalanta
Rhenoplos

Thank you Points : 0

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2012 7:53 pm

So good question about console-locked data (like Tri saves, downloaded games from the WiiShop, etc). I found this article:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/76569/how-to-transfer-wii-data-to-the-wii-u

The quick and dirty:
  1. Insert a SD card into Wii.
  2. Run app on Wii that copies all of the Wii's memory contents to the SD card, then erases the memory.
  3. Insert the SD card into Wii U.
  4. Run app on WiiU to copy the Wii's data to the Wii U, then erases the SD card.
Because Wii Points are also being transferred, I suspect that the app on the Wii copies over a key from the Wii hardware. If this is like any generation change in the OS, the Wii U will be running the previous generation's programs in an emulator mode. So as long as it has a file to emulate the Wii's hardware key, it should be able to load Tri data.

If someone on the forums gets a Wii U in the next few weeks, could you post whether the transfer is successful? Not only be able to play Tri after transferring data to the Wii U, but also be able to play Tri online? I bet there won't be problems to play Tri, but playing Tri online might have them (AFAIK, Tri's the only Wii game online not to use the Wii Friend Codes? So quite possibly not tested).
Back to top Go down
Derb
Rhenoplos

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 12:18 am

I successfully got it preordered and will probably be checking this very thing that Sunday.

My Wii can't read discs, and I'm not buying any Wii U titles at launch... so... MH3 is probably going to get played a lot.
Back to top Go down
Ultimate Jaggi
Gore Magala
Ultimate Jaggi

Thank you Points : 12

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): The U.S.

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 7:03 pm

Derb wrote:
I successfully got it preordered and will probably be checking this very thing that Sunday.

My Wii can't read discs, and I'm not buying any Wii U titles at launch... so... MH3 is probably going to get played a lot.

Same here, but I'll be finishing skyward sword (hero mode). Never had time afta my wii broke, I couldnt finish it ;-;
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis
dcj91x

Thank you Points : 284

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): US

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 3:13 pm

Just to clear a few things up and pose a few things that have not been made clear.

1: it works basically the same way a system transfer from a 3DS to a 3DS does (though everything for this transfer is already installed on the 3DS)

Once you have completed the transfer.... EVERYTHING from your old Wii will be transfered to your WiiU and made available there. Any notes, calendar information settings, (locked) game data, e-shop data/games, MII's and so on....

THIS WILL ALSO COMPLETELY RESET THE WII YOU ARE TRANSFERING THE DATA FROM.... Basically making it a "Factory Reset System" with no information of any kind.....

However everything will be made available on your WiiU so nothing is lost in any way...

(Just make sure you have a large SD card!)

2: YOU HAVE TO UPDATE YOUR WII YOU AND DOWNLOAD ADDITIONAL PROGRAMS RIGHT AWAY!!!!!! Not everything is preloaded on the WiiU but it is available through the first system Update and e-shop downloads... Meaning, if you don't do the update you can't play Wii games or do the transfer.

3: It is unlikely due to the way the transfer works that you can do this with more than one wii system. So if you have multiple wii systems with eshop games..... you will want to choose your main one to do this with. So whichever one has your main Tri Data!!!!

4: The WiiU pro controller does not work with TRI!!! only the classic controller and 3rd part WiiU controllers.

5: The WiiU has a slight bit of upscaling and depending on the TV along with the HDMI cable you use (Which comes with the WiiU) you may see a slight difference in the look of MHtri on the WiiU versus the Wii...

6. The next good bye to try group hunt after the WiiU comes out is December 8-9th... it's listed on the Calendar in the Portal... so those who have a WiiU by then can see how well it works if we don't hunt together before then...

7: I don't think I missed anything but if I did or you want to know more just ask.

Last edited by dcj91x on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Derb
Rhenoplos

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 5:52 pm

I don't think you need that big of an SD card, since Wii's storage isn't very large (512 MB), it's not like it'll take things stored on a spare SD card, since that slot is taken, and it won't download purchased but undownloaded games. So a 512MB is probably all you need. Maybe a 2GB.

Also, what do you mean by "sidderance"? It does not appear to be a word according to dictionary.com, urbandictionary or google.
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis
dcj91x

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 7:08 pm

Derb wrote:
I don't think you need that big of an SD card, since Wii's storage isn't very large (512 MB), it's not like it'll take things stored on a spare SD card, since that slot is taken, and it won't download purchased but undownloaded games. So a 512MB is probably all you need. Maybe a 2GB.

Also, what do you mean by "sidderance"? It does not appear to be a word according to dictionary.com, urbandictionary or google.

"sidderance": descriptive word often used when dcj91x hits the "s" instead of "d" and "d" instead of "f"....

or.... a fun code game.

I would suggest the 2GB just in case... The information being transfered (the way Nintendo does it) seems to take up quite a bit of space. or at leased it did when it did the transfer with my 3DS to 3DSxl... And just in case people don't think about it... use a blank card.

Most of it should offer promps and all, and during the process (unless they have refined it, which I doubt) you need to sit there and baby sit it while its going on in case any promps pop up.... It's not difficult but is a slight bit time consuming..

EDIT: Derb- Nintendo did confirm that all you needed "just for the Transfer" was a 512mb sd card. However they also said that you will still need to Redownload some games from the e-shop or use a larger SD card to transfer over games stored on larger SD cards.
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis
dcj91x

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 4:22 pm

Update:

Finished the Wii to WiiU transfer:

Ok, the WiiU has a special .. "Section" Just for WiiU software and games. It's basically a Wii Emulator and once everythig is transfered it becomes almost a full replica of you Nintendo Wii to include saved games...

Monster Hunter Tri transfered over Just fine and it even tells you what save files are transfering as they are being put on the SD card and then downloaded to the WiiU.

You can only use the Wii mote while in the "Wii Emulator" and the WiiUpad turns off while it is being used.

So far i have not found any loss of data or problems but have not been online with Tri on the WiiU yet.. but will let you all know as soon as I have.

Also, just FYI.. it does take a bit of time.. about 30 minutes+ depending on the amount of data on the wii. Also as stated once the transfer is completed all the transfered items are removed from the Wii itself.
Back to top Go down
Ultimate Jaggi
Gore Magala
Ultimate Jaggi

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 7:39 pm

dcj91x wrote:
Update:

Ok, the WiiU has a special .. "Section" Just for WiiU software and games. It's basically a Wii Emulator and once everythig is transfered it becomes almost a full replica of you Nintendo Wii to include saved games...

Monster Hunter Tri transfered over Just fine and it even tells you what save files are transfering as they are being put on the SD card and then downloaded to the WiiU.

You can only use the Wii mote while in the "Wii Emulator" and the WiiUpad turns off while it is being used.

So far i have not found any loss of data or problems but have not been online with Tri on the WiiU yet.. but will let you all know as soon as I have.

Also, just FYI.. it does take a bit of time.. about 30 minutes+ depending on the amount of data on the wii. Also as stated once the transfer is completed all the transfered items are removed from the Wii itself.

One question: Are you able to choose the files you want and the ones you don' want?
Back to top Go down
Derb
Rhenoplos

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 9:53 pm

Ultimate Jaggi wrote:
dcj91x wrote:
Update:

One question: Are you able to choose the files you want and the ones you don' want?

I have not yet transferred, but the answer is no. It's "all" or nothing. However, if you have hacked stuff, like Homebrew, the transfer should just ignore that data.
Back to top Go down
Ultimate Jaggi
Gore Magala
Ultimate Jaggi

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 10:01 pm

Derb wrote:
Ultimate Jaggi wrote:
dcj91x wrote:
Update:

I have not yet transferred, but the answer is no. It's "all" or nothing. However, if you have hacked stuff, like Homebrew, the transfer should just ignore that data.

Thanks. Cuz I don't wanna brick my wii u right away...
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis
dcj91x

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 12:45 am

Actually... It gives a warning about systems with illegal data.

If you have a hacked Wii or anything like that you can't do the transfer. It detects it or something. I'm not sure what effect it has but with Nintwndos history of bricking hacked systems, I would suggest not trying it.

Also, that is correct about all or nothing. Once you start the transfer everything that can be transferred is.
Back to top Go down
Derb
Rhenoplos

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 12:56 am

The "ignoring hacked data" is what I've heard from people who have tried. While I trust the source, I wouldn't depend on it.
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis
dcj91x

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 1:05 am

^ it be interesting to find out if someone's willing to risk it. But I guess it would only risk the Wii its self as it would detect anything before it goes to the wiiU.

So if anyone tries it let us know... But remember (this forum does not support the hacking of any system or use of any illegal devices not authorized by the systems manufacturers.)
Back to top Go down
Derb
Rhenoplos

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 1:49 am

I would like to say the opening cinematic on the Wii U is the single most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

EDIT: Successfully online.
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis
dcj91x

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 4:26 pm

Just to add... You may want to add a USB external drive and test the USB ports before Transfering over the Wii data....

Let's just say, you won't be happy to find out that the USB ports are malfunctioning and you lost all your Tri data afterwords...

On a bright note.. Any problems real or rumored with the WiiU are stated to be US spacific and the rest of the world should be happy to know that Nintendo limited all the problems to the WiiU's in the US only... Apparently... Though even there out of the 400,000 sold only a limited number actually reported any issues that were actually the fault of the system... such as the fore mentioned unworking USB ports.
Back to top Go down
Derb
Rhenoplos

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 4:41 pm

You don't use the USB ports to transfer Wii data.
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis
dcj91x

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 11:17 pm

Derb, you misunderstand. You want to make sure EVERTHING is working correctly before transfering your Wii data so it is not lost later. You can find out more here:

https://mhwiki.forumotion.net/t9185p15-wiiu-and-nnids
Back to top Go down
Lalo
Gore Magala
Lalo

Thank you Points : 15

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Not yours for sure

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 11:28 pm

In resume...

is not like you cant export your tri data to the wii U if the USB port is not working.

but if you transfer it and then you find out that your wii U is malfunctioning your data is stuck in that wii U so you got to be sure than your Wii U is fine, otherwise you would lost your data if you need to change wii Us

Did I understand correctly?
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis
dcj91x

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 11:56 pm

^ Correct. Once wii data is on a WiiU it stays on only that WiiU and apparently can not be transferred. So you want to make sure your Tri data won't be lost for whatever reason just check everything in advance of the transfer.
Back to top Go down
bill_the_noob
Bnahabra
bill_the_noob

Thank you Points : 17

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): France

PostSubject: WII => WII U MH3 data transfer : warning   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 11:48 am

hello

just got a wii u, and I did the data transfer
i got my MH3 save back on wii u, but my online ID were removed; no more friend list Sad by vort
i don't know if this is a bug or what, but if anyone try to do this, either backup your data before (homebrew only) or try to agree with your friends on a time /meeting place before so you can reconnect easily
side note, i had homebrew chennel, it doesnt prevent the transfer (but its isnt transfered itself)
Back to top Go down
Arkenaw
Rhenoplos
Arkenaw

Thank you Points : 0

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 12:44 pm

It's not a bug. Luckily I have no friends or I would've been troubled by this also when I transferred. lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitch.tv/arkenaw#
JFizzle
Seregios
JFizzle

Thank you Points : 129

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Dystopian US

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 11:48 pm

Arkenaw wrote:
It's not a bug. Luckily I have no friends or I would've been troubled by this also when I transferred. lol

I thought I was your Friend...

😕 Sad by vort Sad by vort

lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)   Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Transfer Data from Wii to Wii U (NOT MH3U)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next