Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity

Go down 
+2
InstaCakes
rathstalker
6 posters
AuthorMessage
rathstalker
Kelbi

Thank you Points : 0

Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity Empty
PostSubject: Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity   Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 7:40 am

Hi, I'm trying to solo Jhen before the servers are shut to unlock high rank (and Jho). I've got satellite internet so co-op is not an option. I've seen numerous guides on the net about how to solo jhen (repel only) but I have a few questions on the necessity for some criteria given:
1. If I cannot deal enough damage to the spine is it ok to stick to cannon/ballista/bombs the entire fight or do they need to be broken to achieve a repel? Same for the tusks, arms etc.
2. Which is more effective over time: cannon or ballista? (with Felyne Bombardier and Speed Gather)
3. Is it in any way possible to achieve stable co-op play through internet with 5 KB/s (can unfortunately go as low as 300 bytes) and 750ms latency?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
InstaCakes
Kecha Wacha
InstaCakes

Thank you Points : 2

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Spain

PostSubject: Re: Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity   Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 9:41 am

1. The spine IS reccomended, but in general cannonballs/ballista work too, especially with Felyne Bombardier (or whichever one boosted the Cannon/Ballista/Crag S damage).
2. Speed Gather doesn't really affect the cannons or the ballista, but Pro Transporter can speed you up on the cannon, but so does crouching on the Ballista gathering point. Not sure here.
3. Three quarters of a second? Are you kidding me? I seriously doubt it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/InstaCakes
Chagrilled
Chagrilled

Thank you Points : 34

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): UK

PostSubject: Re: Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity   Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 10:16 am

you have little hope for soloing the jhen urgent, it's just incredibly hard to do enough damage in the time, never mind the boat probably being destroyed before you could.

here is the sort of setup you'd have to do.

in terms of collecting ship ammo. for ballista, gathering is faster if you crouch (this counts for all gathering, carves too). cannonballs just collect them normally since spending time to crouch is a bit pointless just to pick up one at a time (but to solo jhen you dont want to spend time doing this since you'll do more damage with your weapons anyway)

i...dont even know how you connected to satellite internet with your wii.
Back to top Go down
navgoose
Seltas Queen
navgoose

Thank you Points : 62

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity   Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 11:34 am

Don't tell him he has little hope, it is not that hard. Just need a good set.

I used a set with sharp+1, fortify, and the third depending on charm (done it with attack up small, speed sharpen, and bombardier). Weapon is Siegmund.

The margin for error with that set is much less than trying to run adrenaline or heroics (if you could run adren successfully on jhen you wouldn't be here asking). Sharpness + 1 will help as blue sharpness does not bounce, allowing pretty good chaining of your charged slashes.
Back to top Go down
Atalanta
Rhenoplos

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity   Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 1:28 pm

He's got little hope for co-op, though. 200ms is about all I think Tri can take without frequent disconnects.

Might be worthwhile to figure out where the satellite base station is - you might get some okay ping rates with hunters near that base station. Use a site like pingtest.net and you might be able to figure it out. If you can find a server location in your Tri region under 200ms, you could trying posting to the City Hall forum requesting hunters near that server to help you out.

If you can't get it under 200ms, it's not worth trying to co-op. I get disconnects primarily from hunters with >200ms latency between us (sorry Chile).
Back to top Go down
rathstalker
Kelbi

PostSubject: Re: Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity   Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 4:22 pm

Thanks for all the responses, way more than I imagined.

Mr Stark wrote:
1. The spine IS reccomended, but in general cannonballs/ballista work too, especially with Felyne Bombardier (or whichever one boosted the Cannon/Ballista/Crag S damage).
2. Speed Gather doesn't really affect the cannons or the ballista, but Pro Transporter can speed you up on the cannon, but so does crouching on the Ballista gathering point. Not sure here.
3. Three quarters of a second? Are you kidding me? I seriously doubt it.

So the spine isn't essential? Also I can throw on Pro Transporter quite easily. I AM NOT KIDDING ABOUT MY LATENCY, lol.

Chagrilled wrote:
you have little hope for soloing the jhen urgent, it's just incredibly hard to do enough damage in the time, never mind the boat probably being destroyed before you could.

[youtu.be/cXhKax_9qtw] is the sort of setup you'd have to do.

in terms of collecting ship ammo. for ballista, gathering is faster if you crouch (this counts for all gathering, carves too). cannonballs just collect them normally since spending time to crouch is a bit pointless just to pick up one at a time (but to solo jhen you dont want to spend time doing this since you'll do more damage with your weapons anyway)

i...dont even know how you connected to satellite internet with your wii.

It's ok, I was prepared for the no/little hope comment at least once, I've seen it numerous times and I'm determined to at least complete it.

I've watched that (left the computer on overnight to buffer each video), I should point out that I have all of the weapons and armour in the video however I'm waiting on the Animal Attractions quest to reappear for the hellhunter jacket (EU server), shouldn't take long. Also need to bother to mine some more Adv. Armor Spheres/Armor Stones to combine with my endless supply of firestones.

I've already been crouching for ballista.

My current set is Siegmund with full uragaan + 2 slot talisman (adding speed gather through gems), when switching to the half barroth set I have a 6 potential, 1 slot talisman which will be used.

The satellite connection isn't directly connected, the dish is connected to a satellite modem which connects to a wifi modem/router which the wii connects to.
Back to top Go down
rathstalker
Kelbi

PostSubject: Re: Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity   Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity Icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Double posting due to the quote limit

navgoose wrote:
Don't tell him he has little hope, it is not that hard. Just need a good set.

I used a set with sharp+1, fortify, and the third depending on charm (done it with attack up small, speed sharpen, and bombardier). Weapon is Siegmund.

The margin for error with that set is much less than trying to run adrenaline or heroics (if you could run adren successfully on jhen you wouldn't be here asking). Sharpness + 1 will help as blue sharpness does not bounce, allowing pretty good chaining of your charged slashes.

Would you also suggests Fl. Bombardier/Pyro?

Atalanta wrote:
He's got little hope for co-op, though. 200ms is about all I think Tri can take without frequent disconnects.

Might be worthwhile to figure out where the satellite base station is - you might get some okay ping rates with hunters near that base station. Use a site like [pingtest.net] and you might be able to figure it out. If you can find a server location in your Tri region under 200ms, you could trying posting to the City Hall forum requesting hunters near that server to help you out.

If you can't get it under 200ms, it's not worth trying to co-op. I get disconnects primarily from hunters with >200ms latency between us (sorry Chile).

To load pingtest or speedtest is a task on its own (flash). However, the results:
Ping: 1070ms (750ms was an underestimation, + it is raining)
Jitter: 195ms
Line Quality F* ( /mad/ )
MOS: 1.00
Server: Sydney(Aus) ~600 mi

Ran a second test 5 minutes later and got:
Ping: 901ms (very unpredictable but still too high)
Jitter: 145ms
Line Quality: F*
MOS: 1.00
Same Server

I couldn't determine where the base station is.

I laugh when I see comments in the US about needing faster internet when it already is 50 and 60 mbps download with ping of around 30ms
Back to top Go down
JFizzle
Seregios
JFizzle

Thank you Points : 129

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Dystopian US

PostSubject: Re: Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity   Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 12:11 am

If you were on the US servers I was going to offer to help you. My connection is very strong/stable (Gaming modem hooked straight into my Wii). There was once a member/friend here who was in West China with a NA Wii. I was one of few people who could host and reliably keep him online.

I will suggest, though, that if possible, get a LAN adapter for your Wii ($8-$10 on Amazon) and wire your internet connection straight into your wii. This may help you get that ping down some more. Wifi connections are a pulsed signal and are susceptible to interference. Everyone that I have talked to that has done this has seen dramatic decreases in their dc rates.

Hope it helps man.

Back to top Go down
rathstalker
Kelbi

PostSubject: Re: Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity   Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity Icon_minitimeSun Dec 16, 2012 1:32 am

Thanks for the potential offer, I might just try connecting to other cities in Open or Recruiting and try, I'm not likely to kick them off if they host am I?

Unfortunately Amazon doesn't ship electronics to Australia and seem to want to have absolutely nothing to do with any country other than the US, UK, China and a couple of european countries. I found numerous offers on other sites for around $25 but I don't want to pay that much to beat Jhen once before the servers are shut.

Am getting the National Broadband Network connected some time in January which is supposed to bring the ping down a bit compared to the current set up.

I should also add that we do have one computer connected through wired ethernet. A ping test on that returned 650ms, 50ms jitter and 0% packet loss. Still not ideal but is an improvement.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity   Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jhen Solo Repel Minimisations and Online Connectivity
Page 1 of 1