Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!

MH4Ultimate releases this Friday, February 13th!

Monster Hunter Wiki Forum

Monster Hunter information and General Talk

Get ConnectedHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
What's hunting you?

Share | 

The Speculation of Helping

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ionisus
Popo

Thank you Points : 1

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: The Speculation of Helping   Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:58 pm

If you've ever played online and have had a high HR you've been there. It might be late at night, it just be a slow day, yet something compels you to roam into an empty room (or one with "lowbies") and decidedly help them on their hunts. Once I got to point in my hunting on TRI where I was either making weapons/armor just for collecting and testing, and my endless runs of certain monsters was just to touch up my skills, I began to jump into rooms and offer my help - but I wasn't alone. I noticed a good amount of high HR individuals doing the same thing and I've always wondered what compels them, us, to do so.

So if you help lower HR hunters why? Do you have any rules you impose or abide by? Have you been helped before? Let's start a discussion on this.
Back to top Go down
JFizzle
Seregios

Thank you Points : 129

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Dystopian US

PostSubject: Re: The Speculation of Helping   Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:26 am

I generally do. My motivation behind it is that so little about this game's mechanics and proper hunting techniques are not expressed within the game itself. That and despite some of them doing some internet research, most still remain oblivious to alot of the game's finer mechanics and advanced techniques.

I assume that the omission of a (Adv) tutorial (or any mention(of Adv Techniques)) is to offer any "Green" hunters the oppurtunity to develop and adapt their initial hunting style, before adopting intermediate and advanced techniques, if they ever pick them up, assuming that they stick with the game long enough.

I also do this bc it helps to enrich the hunting community as a whole. For hunters that are receptive, it will generally alter their playstyle for the better, and make the game more enjoyable. For the ones who are objectionable to some friendly advice, it just serves to make them look/feel really stoopid when they fail (then I imagine a good percentage of them run to the internets to verify what I (or other hunters) were advising them on).

That and since I mention these forums in my online sig, I feel it best to be representative of our community: Friendly and Knowledgeable. We are, afterall, the most skilled MH community out there.
Back to top Go down
TheLaw

Thank you Points : 10

3DS friends code: 0748-2193-3471
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Australia

PostSubject: Re: The Speculation of Helping   Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:01 am

What compels me to offer my help to "green" hunters?

Well I remember being a lower HR and having a few high HR's helping me out, (even legit HR 999's) I now offer my help to lower HRs as I remember all too well how hard it can be for some, as it didn't take me long to get to "Elite Rank" but for some it does,

The only rules I enforce are only applicable for when I'm versing a Jhen Mohran, I get the low rankers to just use the Ballistae or Cannons, while the high rankers attack the leg and back. I'm usually on utilities (Binder, Gong and dragonator) so I can show the low rankers (for some who are new) to be able to time things right and know which utility is used for what and when, by doing this I feel as if I'm enriching the Hunting Community.

I have also helped other High Rank hunters with their armor sets (due to them wanting a specific skill set or just wandering where to get the materials for them).

Ultimately the reason why I help lower ranked hunters than me is that high HRs helped me when I was low rank, and I just feel that I'm giving something in return :D
Back to top Go down
http://mhwiki.forumotion.net/u3769
Ionisus
Popo

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: The Speculation of Helping   Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:18 am

Pretty interesting, because I'm definitely motivated by the paying it forward mentality. I remember in the first MH when I was very green with Monster Hunter a bunch of HR20 (imagine, that was the max then!) guys helped me, taught me some tricks and so on and I always remembered that. There really is something rewarding with just being nice, enlightening people to the game and hoping they can get something out of it.

Law, I do the same thing with Jhen. I ask if they've done the fight before and I break down what to do, why it works, and so on. One of the first things I ask is if I can help them because strangely enough I've been accosted for attempting to. Once there I ask what they're looking for and just enjoy the hunt. One rule I do have is that I try to appease everyone that comes along, I don't play favorites and if there are several people wanting several things I ask they would like to rotate and if anyone is uncompromising I stick with the person that is.

I think another thing that gets me to do it is the excitement of their progression in the game. I remember my first time with every wyvern. Actually my best friend talked up Agnaktor so much I was actually a little nervous about the fight, now he's a chump. To see these guys go through that initial thrill gives it to me a little bit and I like that a lot. Makes he sound like an old man haha.

Jfizzle, that's what makes the game so amazing - all the elite tactics that I think really formulate from the community and not the intention of the game design, if that makes any sense. I definitely like your idea to promoting the forums, I think I'll do that with MH3U.
Back to top Go down
laoshanicrus
Najarala

Thank you Points : 4

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3ds
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): the pickle jar

PostSubject: Re: The Speculation of Helping   Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:46 am

i like helping people because they see the insane power of my weapons and decide not be leeches but instead forge their own through the hunt
Back to top Go down
Ionisus
Popo

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: The Speculation of Helping   Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:32 pm

@laoshanicrus wrote:
i like helping people because they see the insane power of my weapons and decide not be leeches but instead forge their own through the hunt

Or be leeches, lol. I generally don't mind leeching if it's one person and they seem to be having trouble, but I do expect them to help themselves.
Back to top Go down
Atalanta
Rhenoplos

Thank you Points : 0

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: The Speculation of Helping   Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:44 am

@Ionisus wrote:
@laoshanicrus wrote:

Or be leeches, lol. I generally don't mind leeching if it's one person and they seem to be having trouble, but I do expect them to help themselves.

If they're trying, they're not leeching, IMHO. I mind it when it's intentional (mining/gathering or afk instead of hunting).

I like helping out in 4*. There, some bad habits need to get broken (like bombing w/o traps), some new ones need to start (don't rely on the supply box for cool drinks), but they have basic mechanics down.

I'm reluctant to help out below that (other than the occasional 3* urgent). Partly because I don't know how much to help - I had gotten halfway through 5* offline before going online, so I was rather overpowered as a HR0 for a rookie, so rarely did I get help. Not only that, other LR hunters would ask me for help, and I was still somewhat ignorant (this was before I found the wiki and the forums). So I solo'd most of LR, both files. 4* was where I really learned, as that's when I started needing help.
Back to top Go down
PAiN---
Rathian

Thank you Points : 9

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): United States

PostSubject: Re: The Speculation of Helping   Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:46 pm

I don't know about you guys, but when i first started playing MH, i played by myself or with my best friend that got me into the game. Its a huge difference when u play solo vs group play. Group play cuts the quest time in half tremendously! i remember on MHFU, 20-25 minutes to farm a high rank tigrex. Then my first game online via ad-hoc took 5 minutes to slay TWO high rank tigrex's. It's just very helpful to have help from people. Not to mention the Monster Hunter community probably has the nicest people. Also, we all can relate to having to farm the same monster over and over taking about 10-20 minutes a hunt, when we can party up with 4 hunters and take out the same dragon in under 5 minutes! I love group play, and i love playing solo. If anyone needs help in MHFU/ MHP3/ TRI, feel free to message me and i will try my best to help you out when i have free time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/757PAiN?feature=watch
Otoshimo
Seregios

Thank you Points : 9

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3ds
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Distortion World

PostSubject: Re: The Speculation of Helping   Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:44 pm

I have one sole rule when I decide to go online at all and join noob cities

"I was bored enough to log onto tri, just don't be a deek and i won't ban your ID tag"
Back to top Go down
http://www.wwwdotcom.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Speculation of Helping   Today at 3:37 am

Back to top Go down

The Speculation of Helping
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1