Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!

Monster Hunter Wiki Forum

Monster Hunter information and General Talk

Get ConnectedHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Monster Hunter XX (Double Cross) for 3DS

Share | 

MH Hitboxes vs Reality

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sephastus
Diablos

Thank you Points : 30

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Generations
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: MH Hitboxes vs Reality   Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:59 am

I am sure most of us have gripes against some unreal hitboxes in MH games. Most notorious among these being Plesioth. One thing that I noticed though, is that the newer games appear to place hitboxes in their proper places.

On MH prior to MHTri, you could never stand below the Rath's while unleashing your combos. One tail swing and you where knocked away. You would have to think ahead and make sure that you knew the monsters movements, because, even if there was nothing hitting you, the hitboxes were so big that you could get hit anywhere. *remembers being on the opposite side of a plesioth hip check, and still getting hit*

On future MH, I can see hit boxes getting even more accurate... but, how much accuracy do we REALLY want when playing? Do we really want to get trampled when fighting the monsters... or for that matter, do we want our weapons to have exact hitboxes to their particular shape? Heck, I know I have been slashing air when I use my GS, and still do damage to what I am fighting.

One thing I definately want, however, is PHYSICS. Right now, in MHTri, the enviorment can be destroyed in a scripted way. Now, if instead of scripted, they just added physics, and let things break/fall where they may... THAT would be epic!

What's everyone's opinion on the matter?
Back to top Go down
Jojozityjo
Fatalis

Thank you Points : 155

3DS friends code: 3754-8725-9197
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: MH Hitboxes vs Reality   Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:56 pm

i thought the hitboxes were great and even perfect on MHTri. Even more so when playing it and going back to older mh games and getting hit from nothing at all on everything i do x.x

The physics thing would be cool, though i have seen a video of an mh playthrough that did do stuff like that, like the hunter was running from a tigrex and ended up having to leap over top this rock pillars, and the tigrex fell in at the bottom but ran into the pillars and was knocking them over, the hunter had to jump from pillar to pillar before they fell too far and he lost his footing. I even remember seeing this platform where the hunter landed on and when the tigrex jumped up on it, the large platform began to tilt due to the tigrex's weight being on one side. It was supposedly a trailer gameplay for a new mh some time ago, i think for the 3ds, im not sure, cant quite remember the exact details. I thought it looked pretty awesome though x3
Back to top Go down
Tomderdepp
Seltas

Thank you Points : 15

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): EU

PostSubject: Re: MH Hitboxes vs Reality   Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:55 am

@Jojozityjo wrote:

The physics thing would be cool, though i have seen a video of an mh playthrough that did do stuff like that, like the hunter was running from a tigrex and ended up having to leap over top this rock pillars, and the tigrex fell in at the bottom but ran into the pillars and was knocking them over, the hunter had to jump from pillar to pillar before they fell too far and he lost his footing. I even remember seeing this platform where the hunter landed on and when the tigrex jumped up on it, the large platform began to tilt due to the tigrex's weight being on one side. It was supposedly a trailer gameplay for a new mh some time ago, i think for the 3ds, im not sure, cant quite remember the exact details. I thought it looked pretty awesome though x3

it was the trailer for Monster Hunter 4 for the 3DS. but I'm not sure if it was a gameplay. don't think so.

for hitboxes: I think the hitboxes in tri were jus fine, though the extra challange on some monsters in Unite is also fun

this is some tigrex gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2urQZ7QBPY

there, as far as I see, is nothing like that in it. but there are some cool features like drawing and using your weapon while falling from a small edge or riding on the tigrex.
Back to top Go down
Jader7777
Cephalos

Thank you Points : 2

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use):

PostSubject: Re: MH Hitboxes vs Reality   Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:58 am

I've only played Tri intensely. The original Monster Hunter on PS2 I only skimmed over and didn't get very far.

But as for Tri it's hit boxes were excellent! Everything made perfect sense.

As far as physics are concerned... eh. I don't really see a point to it aside from a bit of eye candy; physics are over rated really I'd rather see a wonderfully scripted destruction sequence and not some random, CPU intensive and sometimes ugly/messy demolition.
Back to top Go down
Jojozityjo
Fatalis

Thank you Points : 155

3DS friends code: 3754-8725-9197

PostSubject: Re: MH Hitboxes vs Reality   Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:11 am

that gameplay still looked pretty awesome, even though i couldnt understand a word of it lol
but yeah, it looked so fluid and more realistic with how they and tiggy moved over the diff heights of terrain and how they did that lil battle sequence thing where he ended up riding tiggy, that looked more awesome than i could have hoped for in an mh game lol
Back to top Go down
Vortiene
Lao-Shan Lung

Thank you Points : 281

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Canada

PostSubject: Re: MH Hitboxes vs Reality   Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:38 am

@Sephastus wrote:

One thing I definately want, however, is PHYSICS. Right now, in MHTri, the enviorment can be destroyed in a scripted way. Now, if instead of scripted, they just added physics, and let things break/fall where they may... THAT would be epic!

What's everyone's opinion on the matter?

japanese developed games are notorious for their crappy physics engines...

or rather, i think it's just they aren't interested in them as much. US developers are big on physics.
Back to top Go down
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Vortiene
Sephastus
Diablos

Thank you Points : 30

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Generations
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: MH Hitboxes vs Reality   Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:52 am

You could have scripted destruction, and still involve physics at some level. But I do agree that if it will hamper other "more useful" use of the processing power, then there is no need for it.

If I remember correctly, however, there is a seperate chip exclusively dedicated to physics processing that can be installed on your PC or that gets included in some graphic chips. If that were the case, and no graphical processing power were being dedicated to such minutia, then I could see some nice physics going into the game.

Going back to hitboxes though, I did like how they did it in MHTri, and I noticed that MH3U is even more concise... but therein lies the problem I originally inferenced: Do we want hitboxes even further refined beyond this point? In MHTri, you could still swing in the "air/water" and slash some monster parts. I know when I was still learning try, I would use this to my advantage... specially with the hammer. I knew pound would still hit a few feet away from there my actual hammer was striking. I am not sure I would have ever played the hammer if initially all my hits were constrained to the exact edge of my weapon.

Some reality is good... but not if it is at the expense of fun, imo.
Back to top Go down
Win32error
Lead Admin

Thank you Points : 89

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri

PostSubject: Re: MH Hitboxes vs Reality   Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:22 pm

The hammer is defnitely an exception here. The superpound's area is far beyond the weapon itself, way more than just being a crummy hitbox, especially when looking at tri's near-perfection in that area. That's also a bit the point of the attack, the superpound has range both length and width, in stark contrast with the weapon's otherwise limited range.

I believe physics could be fun...but not too important. Minor annoyances, such as attacks barely hitting you and then throwing you halfway across the screen, could be helped by that, but it's just not too important for the game. Some more pre-programmed terrain to destroy would be nice though, and MH4 looks like it might do that.
Back to top Go down
Jader7777
Cephalos

Thank you Points : 2

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use):

PostSubject: Re: MH Hitboxes vs Reality   Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:41 pm

Well the meta-game is more important than the reality. I don't mind some hitboxes being more generous than others; heck the Hunting Horns X+A super pound hits the monster from half way across the map but that's the way I like it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MH Hitboxes vs Reality   Today at 2:25 pm

Back to top Go down

MH Hitboxes vs Reality
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1