Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Non-horror games that scare you - Page 2 Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Non-horror games that scare you - Page 2 Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Non-horror games that scare you

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
GobulHunterJames
Kecha Wacha
GobulHunterJames

Thank you Points : 1

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): UK

Non-horror games that scare you - Page 2 Empty
PostNon-horror games that scare you

I want to know what non-horror games (games not meant to scare) have scared you before.
For me I was always freaked out by Tomb Raider on the PlayStation.
Just walking through a tomb, no music playing, just the sound effects, suddenly some quiet-ish battle music starts playing and boom, out of nowhere I'm attacked by wolves.
I never got past the first area because of that.

A close second is the point in Final Fantasy 7 where Jenova escapes within Shinra Co. and that horrible music plays while you follow a trail of blood.
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Non-horror games that scare you :: Comments

Phazon Xenomorph
Re: Non-horror games that scare you
Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:35 am by Phazon Xenomorph
Please do not take the following as any form of disrespect, I am merely curious:

How exactly are you people getting "scared" of video games or things in video games? Let alone silly things like a piano with teeth or the silent realm of Skyward Sword. I can understand something suddenly jumping out and startling you for a moment but getting scared? How?
MasterOnion
Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:05 am by MasterOnion
Nova wrote:
Please do not take the following as any form of disrespect, I am merely curious:

How exactly are you people getting "scared" of video games or things in video games? Let alone silly things like a piano with teeth or the silent realm of Skyward Sword. I can understand something suddenly jumping out and startling you for a moment but getting scared? How?

I can't really speak for others, but in my case it's just like any other fear. Something I don't want to happen, and am actively thinking about not wanting it to happen has just happened. When I'm walking around at night or in the morning of minecraft (when I'm building but there are still creepers about) the thoughts in my head tend to be something along the lines of "please for the love of god don't let a creeper blow up all the cool stuff I just made."

There is also a factor of surprise and a feeling of helplessness that occurs when you are actually immersed in a game. Me not even noticing the creeper until it is right behind me and hissing, and knowing that as soon as I hear the hissing it is too late to do anything about it gives a sense of dread.

Beginning the guess work now:

With skyward sword I'd say it's all about the feeling of a looming dread combined with being a bit creepy makes it scary when all of a sudden the statues come to life and start coming after you. When they come after you, you are often in a bad situation. You have a goal that you want to achieve and they are actively stopping you from achieving said goal. You have no weapons, no items, and the only ability you have is to run and hopefully reach safety in time. Meanwhile they are these big monsters carrying around even bigger swords that can "kill" you in one blow, they can ignore most of the obstacles that would bring you to a near standstill, and they are often faster than you.

The piano I can't even try to justify, so good luck with that one XD
Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:14 am by Snagglux
Shin Zelkami wrote:
Jader7777 wrote:

Are you sure you played it? Did you finish it?

Yes... because Yahtzee and EC told me to.

I'm pretty sure he was quoting a line from the end of the game.
"The truth, Walker, is that you're here because you wanted to feel like something you're not: A hero."
Oni Zelkami
Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:08 am by Oni Zelkami
I know. But that's not why I played it.
dcj91x
Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:40 am by dcj91x
Nova wrote:

You never got Xenogears in the EU... Soo, your comments are understandable. And for me with that game its not as much scared as... Well the feelings behind it. Again it's a game you'd have to play to understand. Unfortunately the said due to the nudity, religious themes, and the dark nature of the game a EU release was never possible even now. .... ??? I don't get it either.
Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:04 pm by Guest
Nova wrote:

When we talk about games like mario 64, you can assume that it scared us when we were like 5 years old. Also, don't say you were never scared of anything cause that's not impressing anyone :P
Lalo
Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:46 pm by Lalo
Andrew. wrote:
I'm actually surprised no one mentioned the killer piano already.

I kinda did...
Phazon Xenomorph
Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:40 pm by Phazon Xenomorph
dcj91x wrote:
Nova wrote:

You never got Xenogears in the EU... Soo, your comments are understandable. And for me with that game its not as much scared as... Well the feelings behind it. Again it's a game you'd have to play to understand. Unfortunately the said due to the nudity, religious themes, and the dark nature of the game a EU release was never possible even now. .... ??? I don't get it either.

I never got Xenogears in the EU? uhhh, I'm not sure what you meant but I'm in the US. Unless I'm misunderstanding you somehow.
Phazon Xenomorph
Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:42 pm by Phazon Xenomorph
Vortiene wrote:
Nova wrote:

When we talk about games like mario 64, you can assume that it scared us when we were like 5 years old. Also, don't say you were never scared of anything cause that's not impressing anyone :P

Oh no, things do scare me for sure (never telling what though), but video games? No, I have never been scared from or by any video game or video game content ever. At best something suddenly jumping out might startle me if that's the intention of the game dev's event, but actual fear or being frightened by a game? Never.

Same with Haunted Houses for me, they just aren't scary at all because you know it's all fake and they can't actually hurt you at those places. If they wanted to scare me it'd have to be some new kind of haunted house (for adults only for the following reason) where you have to sign a waiver to keep them free from being sued, they have a medical staff on hand in-case you suffer any serious injury by chance, but the waiver is for you to actually get hit, kicked, punched, etc by the staff of the house or things jumping out at you.

Something where you actually have a real threat of being hurt would be scary for a haunted house.

But enough of the sidetracking, once again...No. I have not ever been scared by a video game, my brain functions logically and I know nothing in it is real so I have no reason to be scared.
Ares
Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:34 pm by Ares
Nova wrote:
Vortiene wrote:
Nova wrote:

Oh no, things do scare me for sure (never telling what though), but video games? No, I have never been scared from or by any video game or video game content ever. At best something suddenly jumping out might startle me if that's the intention of the game dev's event, but actual fear or being frightened by a game? Never.

Same with Haunted Houses for me, they just aren't scary at all because you know it's all fake and they can't actually hurt you at those places. If they wanted to scare me it'd have to be some new kind of haunted house (for adults only for the following reason) where you have to sign a waiver to keep them free from being sued, they have a medical staff on hand in-case you suffer any serious injury by chance, but the waiver is for you to actually get hit, kicked, punched, etc by the staff of the house or things jumping out at you.

Something where you actually have a real threat of being hurt would be scary for a haunted house.

But enough of the sidetracking, once again...No. I have not ever been scared by a video game, my brain functions logically and I know nothing in it is real so I have no reason to be scared.

Non-horror games that scare you - Page 2 31679579
Post Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:44 pm by Guest
i think you dont understand what we mean then. It's not like we wouldnt play the games because we were so scared of the things in them, its simply that they creeped us out.
Phazon Xenomorph
Post Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:26 am by Phazon Xenomorph
Vortiene wrote:
i think you dont understand what we mean then. It's not like we wouldnt play the games because we were so scared of the things in them, its simply that they creeped us out.

You're probably right, things in games don't creep me out so I probably just don't get it.
quidam
Post Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:12 am by quidam
i'll add my own experience then:

as a kid one of my first ps1 games was tomb raider III. holy crap those levels whitout music and the sudden shit coming at you creeped me out so much. (no music is much more nerve wrecking to me than music, even supposedly creepy one)
Post Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:53 am by Guest
resident evil has some great creepy music to go with the atmosphere

like this one from RE: zero

dcj91x
Post Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:07 pm by dcj91x
Nova wrote:
dcj91x wrote:
Nova wrote:

I never got Xenogears in the EU? uhhh, I'm not sure what you meant but I'm in the US. Unless I'm misunderstanding you somehow.

You know Nova... I always forget you are US... for some reason I keep thinking you live in some ancient cave in the middle of a long forgotten European village where once in a while small childeren go missing..... Uhh... you should hear what I imagin about some of the other forum members.

So did you play Xenogears?
Phazon Xenomorph
Post Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:28 pm by Phazon Xenomorph
dcj91x wrote:

You know Nova... I always forget you are US... for some reason I keep thinking you live in some ancient cave in the middle of a long forgotten European village where once in a while small childeren go missing..... Uhh... you should hear what I imagin about some of the other forum members.

So did you play Xenogears?

No, I have not.
Shiera
Post Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:49 pm by Shiera
You missed an excellent game with an excellent story then. As for myself. Doom 3 creeped me out when played in the dark. That said... it might have been because my computer couldn't handle it and I'd get 10 FPS. One second, blissfully empty screen. The next OSHIT ZOMBIES!!
Phazon Xenomorph
Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:57 am by Phazon Xenomorph
Shiera wrote:
You missed an excellent game with an excellent story then. As for myself. Doom 3 creeped me out when played in the dark. That said... it might have been because my computer couldn't handle it and I'd get 10 FPS. One second, blissfully empty screen. The next OSHIT ZOMBIES!!

Umm...Doom 3 wasn't Zombies though, it was demons from hell.
A Drunk Ninja
Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:27 am by A Drunk Ninja
This may may be closer to the "horror" line that some of the other games mentioned here but I think it counts. The Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within. Wandering the halls, killing some mobs, then the Dahaka busts through a wall.

Me: O_o with heart in throat and adrenalin pumping.

It was never hard getting away but the initial shock, and the not wanting to die, got to me every time...
Shiera
Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:37 am by Shiera
Nova wrote:

Incorrect. While there were demons, they did not bother me. It was the possessed and zombified soldiers/scientists that scared the piss out of me in that game.
Phazon Xenomorph
Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:55 am by Phazon Xenomorph
Shiera wrote:
Nova wrote:

Incorrect. While there were demons, they did not bother me. It was the possessed and zombified soldiers/scientists that scared the piss out of me in that game.

They aren't zombied, possessed yes, zombie no.
Shiera
Post Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:37 am by Shiera
Ah but see, a simple possession still means that you're alive and kicking. Not half-eaten with your guts spilling out everywhere and in an obvious state of decay. Zombies come in many forms; humans drugged and bewitched by voodoo(real), corpses reanimated via virus or parasite, corpses reanimated via necromancy, corpses reanimated via demonic possession. Just because they are possessed, it does not mean that they aren't zombies. The definition of a zombie can be extrapolated as an obviously dead body that is up and moving about via external influence. Even if the human was alive at the time of possession, their soul is devoured and their body is left in a state of cognitive movement despite obvious life terminating injuries. Ergo, it is valid to call the result of such a possession, a zombie ;)
Post  by Sponsored content

Non-horror games that scare you

Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2