Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!

Monster Hunter Wiki Forum

Monster Hunter Related Topics and Discussion

Get ConnectedHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Forum still under construction please stand by. Thank you.
Bow Guide: Fun with Arrows!544
Share | 

Bow Guide: Fun with Arrows!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
dcj91x
Fatalis

Thank you Points: 281

Monster Hunter Information
WiiU ID: dcj91x
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): US

PostSubject: Bow Guide: Fun with Arrows!   Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:46 pm

Unlike other MH games in MH3U the Bow is a bit Different. The following Videos and guides will give you basic information on how to be a good starting bow hunter in MH3U:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Controls

Draw weapon: (X)

Melee Attack: (A) Draw Attack: (R)+(X)&(A) (weaker than fireing attacks)

Fire Arrow: (X)

Charge Arrow: Hold (X) Arrow charges from level 1-3 and will hold a level 3 charge as long as you hold (X) or until you run out of Stamina. Charge depletes stamina*

ARC Shot: At level 3 charge while holding (X) Tap (A)

Equip Coating: (X)+(A) while bow is drawn and a coating is set with (L)and(X)/(B) buttons

Impact/Target Area/Aiming: (R) while Bow is drawn

Shot Type:

ARC shot on bows have 3 shot types Focus, Spread and Blast. ARC shots also reduce a monsters stamina.

Focus: Does a rain of arrows down in a norrow line onto a "mostly" single target. Doing multiple damaging attacks. Though low in single dammage when added with a status coating such as Poision or Paralysis along with a "Status effect up" skill, it become quite dammaging and effective against monsters who are weak against them. This is also the better of the ARC skills to use while in a group as when well aimed it can target only a single target.

Spread: This ARC covers a wide area and can hit multiple targets, when used along with a coating it has the possibility to effect many small and large monsters alike. (even with a paint coating) In a group of hunters it must be used cautiously as the rain of pellets that are released will cause everything hit by it to stumble.

Blast: Probably the most powerful and the most dangerous to use in a group (as it will send other hunters flying for one of the largest distances I've seen in MH), the Blast ARC hits with a Medium sized explosion area and does damage (I beleive) equal to a LBarralBomb. This Is very good for breaking parts and droping on sleeping monsters for extra damage.

Coatings:

Coatings can be applied to arrows depending on the type of bow you are using. There are 18 coating types available.

Slime, Power, Sleep, Close-range, Paint, Exhaust

Uses:

Slime: 20

Power: 50

Close-Range: 20

Paint: 99

Exhust: 20

Charge attack notes:

Depending on the bow the charge attack will change the "TYPE" of arrow being fired at what level of charge.

Tap (A) LVL1 charge, hold (A) first flash LVL2 charge, 2nd flash LVL 3 charge, 3rd flash LVL 4 charge.

A level 4 Charge is able to be acheived by the skill "Capacity Up". or by the bow it's seld Such as the Arca line.

Types of arrows:

Rapid: At each level an arrow will be fired followed by a succesion of additional arrows behind it each at slightly lower angles. (These will appear in a verticle pattern)

Scatter: These arrows will spread out in a "horizontal" line, increasing in numbers with the amount of charge level. The center Arrow will provide the most damage.

Pierce: This type of arrow can hit a monster multiple times though only having one arrow. the higher the charge the more focused the shot and the higher number of hits as it passes through the monster.

Arrow types of a higher charge will increase the damage dues to number of arrows and streangth as well as Damage bonus.

Range/evading:

Though each bow has it's own amount of damage how much it deals also depends on the distance you are from a monster. Coatings and ARC's and Skills may help but in many cases 3 "back hops" is an idea distance for maximum damage.

Evasion with a bow can also be tricky.. you have two ways to evade, the roll and the back hop. The back hop is done by simply tapping the (B) button and the roll is done by aiming the control stick/Slide pad and tapping the (B) button. I am not sure if it's MH3U or what but I have been thus far able to avoid closer monster attacks than in any other MH game with the bow than any other weapon in any game before... (More testing will have to be done.)

Additional Note:
Other possible useful bow skills depending on "YOUR" play style may be Evasion, Focus and the Runner skills.

Any incorect information I discover I will update at a later time..

Last edited by dcj91x on Wed May 15, 2013 3:34 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
OliveHermitaur
Kelbi

Thank you Points: 0

WiiU ID:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3ds
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Bow Guide: Fun with Arrows!   Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:15 pm

Bow
What I'm wondering, if you think you can answer, is if you're using your blast arc on a sleeping monster, let's say Purple Royal for now, and you aim it at his sponge; will the piercing arrow bell cause the initial multiplied damage or with the bomb explosion apply?
Also if you've hit him with enough slime, will the arrow strike be the initial or is the explosion added?
Fire Dragon Water Thunder Ice
Back to top Go down
Sephastus
Khezu

Thank you Points: 4

WiiU ID: Sephastus

PostSubject: Re: Bow Guide: Fun with Arrows!   Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:57 am

Anything other than placing a Barrel Bomb (LBB+) on a sleeping monster is a waste of sleep coatings.

But to answer your question, the first arrow will always be the one to strike, and the bombs are after-effects. It is very complicated to see what exactly is happening in every shot, but like I said, the most surefire way to get the most out of your sleep coatings, is to pair it with Barrel Bombs.
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis

PostSubject: Re: Bow Guide: Fun with Arrows!   Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:36 pm

Sephastus wrote:
Anything other than placing a Barrel Bomb (LBB+) on a sleeping monster is a waste of sleep coatings.

But to answer your question, the first arrow will always be the one to strike, and the bombs are after-effects. It is very complicated to see what exactly is happening in every shot, but like I said, the most surefire way to get the most out of your sleep coatings, is to pair it with Barrel Bombs.

This is correct. The problem with the ARC shot is, depending on which ARC you use some coatings work better than others.

Blast ARC is a single "Bomb" arrow and While it is good to use against a sleeping monster and combined with say a Power coating for extra damage and the sleep multiplyer.. you will not get as much from using say the Focus or Spread ARC as only the first of the multi arrows in the chain will do the multiplyer damage to the sleeping monster.

That's why when you use LBB+'s they all have to go off at the same time.

Now.. a well aimed Blast ARC with Power coating and LBB+'s on a sleeping monster...

But for the most effective Sleep coating on a single monster I would Suggest a Focus ARC...

Back to top Go down
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Kelbi

PostSubject: Re: Bow Guide: Fun with Arrows!   Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:16 pm

i've heard that a blast arc shot is roughly equivalent to a regular barrel bomb in damage, im not sure for what level of bow though, but does, say the alatreon bow or the dire miralis bow (both are blast i think) inflict more than a lbb+ with its arc shot?
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis

PostSubject: Re: Bow Guide: Fun with Arrows!   Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:37 am

^ Honestly I have to find out.. I would think that Stroger bows have more powerful ARC's than lower level ones.

(it would be odd if a G rank weapon had the same ARC damage as a Loew rank weapon don't ya think?)

But I will look into it and find out.
Back to top Go down
Dilarus
Kelbi

PostSubject: Re: Bow Guide: Fun with Arrows!   Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:01 am

Hi there can you answer a few questions on bows for me?

Firstly, does an arrow type's level effect its damage? How much stronger is rapid3 than rapid2 at the same charge level? I've been taking it as read that higher is better but for the sake of accuracy I find it easier to hit with a lower level than with all the arrow offshoots of a higher one (on smaller wyverns for example)

Also, does the amount of status effect applied to a monster change depending on charge level? Would spamming lv1 charge shots do the same status effect efficacy of a level 3 charge for the sake of paralysing the monster quickly? (I'm aware that the raw and elemental damage would suffer but I'm only interested in the status effect for this example)

And finally, does the arrow type's level eg. Rapid2, rapid3 etc. effect the amount of status effect applied? For example would a scatter2 do less or equal status effect to scatter3?

As you can tell I enjoy supporting my fellow hunters with status effects but I want to know the best ways of debilitating monsters the quickest. If I want to put a monster to sleep it would be handy to know if I were prolonging the procedure needlessly by charging my shots to max.

Thanks for your time
Back to top Go down
Oni Zelkami
Lao-Shan Lung

Thank you Points: 151

WiiU ID: Zelkami

PostSubject: Re: Bow Guide: Fun with Arrows!   Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:14 pm

I think we can take Mr.Queens word for it.
Back to top Go down
Dilarus
Kelbi

PostSubject: Re: Bow Guide: Fun with Arrows!   Wed May 08, 2013 6:14 am

Um, not very helpful. I was looking for an answer
Back to top Go down
Sephastus
Khezu

WiiU ID: Sephastus

PostSubject: Re: Bow Guide: Fun with Arrows!   Wed May 08, 2013 4:34 pm

Dilarus,

Arrow level does affect it's damage vs another arrow of a lower level at the same charge.

For spread arrows, you will shoot more arrows the higher the level. Pierce arrows do more continuous hits, and rapid arrows have more arrows.

Charge levels indicate how much each hit does %based. The higher the charge, the more damage it does. Exception being charge level 4... which does same raw damage, but more in additional effects (more element, more status ect. ect.)

Elemental damage increases by charge level, but you have to take a look at what type of shot you are sending out. Spread shots will do more elemental damage than a rapid shot, and a pierce shot will do more damage than a rapid shot. Rapid shot is a good in between.

Status attacks are applied on a per arrow basis, per charge. So a higher charged arrow with a bigger quantity will make your coatings last much longer. But just spamming your coating will work just as effectively, although you will run out of coatings much faster and only will inflict the status once, maybe if you are lucky twice, during the fight. So for better effects during the whole of the fight, fully charge your arrows before shooting.
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis

PostSubject: Re: Bow Guide: Fun with Arrows!   Wed May 08, 2013 10:29 pm

Several areas of information have been updated and a video guide added.
Back to top Go down
ShadowCeadeusDM324
Tigrex

Thank you Points: 9

WiiU ID: 20
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3ds
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Bow Guide: Fun with Arrows!   Fri May 17, 2013 4:54 pm

dcj19x, do you recommend the kelbi bow? All over the internet they say it is overpowered and in others they say it isn't. Is the Kelbi bow worth to use or it is just a way to cut the lenght of the game?
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis

PostSubject: Re: Bow Guide: Fun with Arrows!   Fri May 17, 2013 5:34 pm

ShadowCeadeusDM324 wrote:
dcj19x, do you recommend the kelbi bow? All over the internet they say it is overpowered and in others they say it isn't. Is the Kelbi bow worth to use or it is just a way to cut the lenght of the game?

It's missunderstood..

Where it is overpowered is in groups and with Awaken for Slime. What happens is You have 4 Hunters all using the fully upgraded KB+awaken and the lvl1 charge to quickly do a lot of damage in a short period of time. Keep in mind however while on some monsters (quite a few) this will do a lot of damage if the group knows what and how to do it, it does not work perfectly on all.. but it is a viable speed run process when in groups.

On the other hand, if you are soloing.. it does not work as well. the power of the bow is quite low and a single kelbi bow does not do a lot of slime at one time. It is however one of the few bows in the game that can quickly and easily from the start (just add slime coating) use all coatings.

So when people are talking about it being OP and it not being a very good bow.. they are both correct.

CAn it be overpowered? Yes, when used in groups and in the right situations.

Is it the best bow in the game? That's a relative term... For soloing there are better bows and for groups of Mixed weapons there are better bows.
Back to top Go down
DanielisAwesome52
Cephalos

WiiU ID: Dan5273

PostSubject: Re: Bow Guide: Fun with Arrows!   Fri May 17, 2013 7:21 pm

SocialDissonance is doing a bow Tutorial series right now, He started with an explanation of the Bow, its Shots, its Coatings, etc.

Bow Tutorial

Then he's uploaded one where he fights a G-Rank Narga in the Arena

Nargacuga Arena with Bow

But the way he fights the Narga without using the targetting thing is glorious, I've been using it lately and I kill alot faster, sure I still aim when I need to hit a certain part or the monster flies, but you stay incredibly mobile, and it feels like you can shoot alot more often. Which is probably because I don't waste time pinpointing my attacks.

Oh and a sorta of question/observation, does the Bow auto aim a little when walking and shooting (ie not holding R) When fighting Peco's last night it seemed like even though I was facing past his left side when I hit X and let go it hit his wing dead on, Just wondering if theres a slight computer adjustment when not manually aiming.
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis

PostSubject: Re: Bow Guide: Fun with Arrows!   Sat May 18, 2013 1:21 am

No. There is no auto aim. It just shoots at a preset angle in straight in front of where you are facing. I rarely if ever use the R button or aim assist. Once you figure out your bow and its distance there really is no need for it. Some precision hits might be required like when knocking a banahabra out of the sky for carving but most of the time you can eye out where you need to aim and which type of arrow to use.

With bows like with most weapons its just a learning experience and play style thing.

Bows have become popular pretty quickly but they remain difficult to use for a lot of players, mostly due to the mechanics of thow the shots work.
Back to top Go down

Bow Guide: Fun with Arrows!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Monster Hunter Wiki Forum ::  ::  :: -