Well i was sad too but there is nothing to do about it. Just like mh for ps2 (wich i never could play online but i got the game becouse i just love mh).
Now this is wath i did:
1. The moment i knew a new monster hunter was coming i started saving, that was last year before xmas. At that moment i didn't had a 3ds or wii u or wasn't planning on getting it yet and also i was newly married so had to check with the wife too lol.
2. If i wanted to get most of the game i had to drop 200 for the 3ds, 40 for the 3ds version, 350 for the wii u delux and 60 for the mh3u. So that's 650 nice hu?.
3. I planned it out so it wouldn't hurt that much and i just got to the idea that i would not be playing the game at full capacity at first.
4. I asked only for money for xmas present not stuff just money and so i got enugh with saving and xmas to get the 3ds and even some games to get me started.
5. I had to wait until march to get the 3ds version wich i got from the eshop becouse i was eager to play it.
6. for my coming birthday, may thank god, i'll get the wii u and mh game.
So there you go i planned it all since last year, i had to be really carefull with my budget too becouse i'm the one paying for the games, food, insurance, gas, etc etc. I don't drink or smoke or buy sport stuff for a team, so my wife can deal with the fact that my hobby is play video games since she (and all married women) compare us with others.
So yea hope it helps you, besides this game is not going away soon, tri lasted since 2010 so you have enugh time to get the stuff, play something else while you wait and when you get enugh money or maybe a good sale you get all and still get some spare money to get even more stuff.