Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!

MH4Ultimate releases this Friday, February 13th!

Monster Hunter Wiki Forum

Monster Hunter information and General Talk

Get ConnectedHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
What's hunting you?

Share | 

Newbie to MH question.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
I.S.T.
Kelbi

Thank you Points : 0

PostSubject: Newbie to MH question.   Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:07 pm

I played some MHFU, but it was last year, and I never got that far. I have some knowledge, but not a lot.

So, I have a question. How good are the various weapons at cutting tails in this version? I understand that GS is pretty good at that, but I'm not too sure about the other weapons.
Back to top Go down
Sephastus
Diablos

Thank you Points : 29

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Generations
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to MH question.   Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:22 pm

Anything with a blade can cut tails. You just have to keep at it. Heck, you can even cut tails with a boomrang, as long as you have weakened the tail enough.

As for ease of getting to the tail... then yes, the Greatsword has the reach advantage, followed by the long-sword. With a shock-trap, any of the other weapons are viable since most monsters will crouch their tail to a reachable level. Hammers and Hunting Horns, lances, and Bows, however, can't cut tails, unless you get a boomrang. The Gunlance is in a group of its own, since it can do slicing damage in one of its moves, which could cut a tail if properly executed. Guns have slicing shots, but fair warning: do damage to the tail with other shots before you try to cut it with the slicing shot.. or you will just waste your ammo.
Back to top Go down
evahnulahm
Seltas

Thank you Points : 18

3DS friends code: 0276-0576-8464
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): US

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to MH question.   Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:44 pm

@Sephastus wrote:
Anything with a blade can cut tails. You just have to keep at it. Heck, you can even cut tails with a boomrang, as long as you have weakened the tail enough.

As for ease of getting to the tail... then yes, the Greatsword has the reach advantage, followed by the long-sword. With a shock-trap, any of the other weapons are viable since most monsters will crouch their tail to a reachable level. Hammers and Hunting Horns, lances, and Bows, however, can't cut tails, unless you get a boomrang. The Gunlance is in a group of its own, since it can do slicing damage in one of its moves, which could cut a tail if properly executed. Guns have slicing shots, but fair warning: do damage to the tail with other shots before you try to cut it with the slicing shot.. or you will just waste your ammo.

Lances can in fact cut tails, i used the Banderlance to cut off Lagi's tail all the time in Low rank.
Back to top Go down
Sephastus
Diablos

Thank you Points : 29

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to MH question.   Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:39 pm

My appologies. In MHFU only the gunlance had a slicing move. I should have done more research before concluding that the lance in MH3U was the same.
Back to top Go down
Otoshimo
Seregios

Thank you Points : 9

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3ds
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Distortion World

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to MH question.   Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:37 pm

@evahnulahm wrote:
@Sephastus wrote:

Lances can in fact cut tails, i used the Banderlance to cut off Lagi's tail all the time in Low rank.

Bows can cut tails too. Yea it takes forever, will probably be the last thing you break and you have to have serious patience and technique/preparation to do so. but they cut tails.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wwwdotcom.com
MasterOnion

Thank you Points : 43

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to MH question.   Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:12 pm

Every weapon type besides hammer and hunting horns can cut tails. Even bowguns if they can use slice S. Bows have a move where you attack with an arrow that does cutting damage, so you can cut tails with them as well. You can increase the damage of those attacks with close range coatings. Lances are a bit special because they do what is referred to as piercing damge, which means that they do cutting damage normally, but if the hitzone you are attacking is much weaker to impact damage the lance will do impact damage instead. Lances rarely do impact damage, and if I recall correctly there was only one hitzone in tri that actually switched it to impact.
Back to top Go down
I.S.T.
Kelbi

Thank you Points : 0

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to MH question.   Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:36 pm

Thanks for the help, folks. Yes by vort
Back to top Go down
Yuki
Rajang

Thank you Points : 18

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3ds
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to MH question.   Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:41 pm

@MasterOnion wrote:
Every weapon type besides hammer and hunting horns can cut tails. Even bowguns if they can use slice S. Bows have a move where you attack with an arrow that does cutting damage, so you can cut tails with them as well. You can increase the damage of those attacks with close range coatings. Lances are a bit special because they do what is referred to as piercing damge, which means that they do cutting damage normally, but if the hitzone you are attacking is much weaker to impact damage the lance will do impact damage instead. Lances rarely do impact damage, and if I recall correctly there was only one hitzone in tri that actually switched it to impact.

Hunting horn CAN cut tails but it is kind of in the same category as using the bows melee attack not worth it xD The little poke does cutting damage.
Back to top Go down
TKMT
Seltas

Thank you Points : 12

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): North America, U.S.

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to MH question.   Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:09 pm

@MasterOnion wrote:
Lances are a bit special because they do what is referred to as piercing damge, which means that they do cutting damage normally, but if the hitzone you are attacking is much weaker to impact damage the lance will do impact damage instead. Lances rarely do impact damage, and if I recall correctly there was only one hitzone in tri that actually switched it to impact.
Hmm? I thought it converted your damage to the impact damage but kept with the cutting that blades normally do.

If it did convert to impact, my alatreon gleam would've been poking through Uragaan's chin at purple/white in Tri, like impact did with hammers and SnS's shield bash and Lance's shield bash.
Back to top Go down
Chagrilled

Thank you Points : 34

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): UK

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to MH question.   Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:24 pm

@MasterOnion wrote:
Lances rarely do impact damage, and if I recall correctly there was only one hitzone in tri that actually switched it to impact.

it is still doing cutting on uragaan's chin because it isnt a big enough difference 10 - 20, compare this to gobul's backspikes (which, iirc, are the only hitbox lances do impact on), which is 20-50.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie to MH question.   Today at 9:05 am

Back to top Go down

Newbie to MH question.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1