Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Need some help with Gold Rathian, Silver Rathalos and HBG Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Need some help with Gold Rathian, Silver Rathalos and HBG Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Need some help with Gold Rathian, Silver Rathalos and HBG

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
juniglee
Kelbi

Thank you Points : 0

Need some help with Gold Rathian, Silver Rathalos and HBG Empty
PostSubject: Need some help with Gold Rathian, Silver Rathalos and HBG   Need some help with Gold Rathian, Silver Rathalos and HBG Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 11:06 pm

I've just fought the Gold Rathian earlier this morning, and the Silver Rathalos 3 times 2 days ago. I must say that I am finding it hard to balance between offense and running away. In general, I am looking for tips to make my runs for them more efficient.

My problems with the Gold Rathian are:
1. If it is angry, I never hit it. In that one time I tried this morning, I carted twice, and on the 3rd try of that quest, I was pretty much trying to play as safe as I can. I did not attack it once if it ever became angry, and I would usually just take 2 strikes where I can, and roll away. I am using the fully upgraded I.Lagi Longsword. I ended up finally killing it with less than 10 minutes to spare.
2. If I ever ran out of Mega Potions, there does not seem to be an opportunity to combine more on the spot, unless I cart. I know that using 10 Mega Potions before I even get to 15 minutes is pretty bad, and I'll look to improve on that based on tips that the folk here can give me.

My problems with the Silver Rathalos are:
1. Problems knowing when to attack and when to pull out again. I've tried him twice with a longsword, and once with a lance. For the two times I fought him with a longsword, I carted once and twice, ended the quest on 30 minutes and 25 minutes respectively. The first round I didn't know what to use so I used my fully upgraded Jhen LS, which wasn't very effective. The second round was a little easier since I was able to craft its armor now, so from the blacksmith screen I saw it was weakest to water, so I used the fully upgraded water LS that the Argosy captain gave you when you defeated the Lagiacrus in the village urgent quest. I'm not that good with the Lance, but I was using the fully upgraded Dios Lance, and did not cart once, but consumed 20 Mega Potions and took about 35 minutes to kill it (a lucky kill here, because I was stunned, and was one hit away from death, had no Mega Potions or Potions left, and it was running towards me. My Cha-Cha hit it, slime proc'ed, and the Silver Los died).
2. It spends too much time in the air. I reckon my LS runs might have gone faster if it wasn't always up in the air. I am considering learning how to use a HBG to gun it down when it is in the air.

A common problem with both of them are their rather hard to cut heads and tails. What are the best ways to cut off their tails and break their head? I don't have a Sharpness +1 set yet, I have not unlocked Abyssal Lagiacrus yet (I am only at HR 51 or so), or the Hallowed Jhen Mohran. Most of my weapons are max White sharpness, with the exception of my water LS being very small Purple, and my fully upgraded Azure Rath LS which also has a small Purple sharpness bar. I am currently using an Azure Rath G-rank armour set with CE+3, HG earplugs, Mind's Eye, and gemmed for Fire Res +20. Another longsword specific problem I have with those two is not being able to keep my spirit blade charged up high enough, as I spend more time running away and looking for an opening, or doing quick hit and runs.

Also considering that I've never used a Gunner set before, nor have I ever used a bow within this game yet, are there any starting tips that can be given to me? Like what skills should I look for in a Gunner armour set, or what kind of pellets I should be using? I'm trying to make the Jhen Dragoncannon now, but I have not started farming for an armour set.

I have not tried the Lucent Nargacuga yet, but is it worth it to make the Lucent Narga armour set (Carving Master)? Or the Gold Rathian armor set (extra Quest Rewards)? My only problem with those is my over-reliance on Earplugs, perhaps I could gem Earplugs into those setups?
Back to top Go down
haruno
Shagaru Magala
haruno

Thank you Points : 192

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Need some help with Gold Rathian, Silver Rathalos and HBG   Need some help with Gold Rathian, Silver Rathalos and HBG Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 1:52 am

Can I get a tl;dr version? or a non cluttered text variant?

Few points: Gunning is ez moad.
Kelbi bow is god
Back to top Go down
juniglee
Kelbi

PostSubject: Re: Need some help with Gold Rathian, Silver Rathalos and HBG   Need some help with Gold Rathian, Silver Rathalos and HBG Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 2:04 am

haruno wrote:

Kelbi bow is god

Right, so:

- improving killing times for Silver/Gold Los/Ian with longsword. i cant maintain a high enough level of spirit bar as i usually just hit and run against these guys, and just run around when they're angry to avoid getting hit.
- what longswords are best to use against these guys as I don't have sharpness +1 set. with white sharpness it's pretty hard to chop off their tail/break their head due to bounces.
- is lucent narga armor or gold ian armor set better? specifically i like to capture monsters, but extra quest rewards sounds good as well
- what's a good gunner armour set? what skills should I look for when making a gunner set?
- how good would HBG be against silver los when it's in the air? i've never gunned before, so how steep is the learning curve?
Back to top Go down
haruno
Shagaru Magala
haruno

Thank you Points : 192

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Need some help with Gold Rathian, Silver Rathalos and HBG   Need some help with Gold Rathian, Silver Rathalos and HBG Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 3:07 am

juniglee wrote:
haruno wrote:

Kelbi bow is god

Right, so:

- improving killing times for Silver/Gold Los/Ian with longsword. i cant maintain a high enough level of spirit bar as i usually just hit and run against these guys, and just run around when they're angry to avoid getting hit.
- what longswords are best to use against these guys as I don't have sharpness +1 set. with white sharpness it's pretty hard to chop off their tail/break their head due to bounces.
- is lucent narga armor or gold ian armor set better? specifically i like to capture monsters, but extra quest rewards sounds good as well
- what's a good gunner armour set? what skills should I look for when making a gunner set?
- how good would HBG be against silver los when it's in the air? i've never gunned before, so how steep is the learning curve?

ah much better.

Point 1: Ivory lagi LS for gold ian, plessy LS for silver los. Running around when they're angry is pointless and all it does is waste time. Rather learn to make the most of their attack openings aka fireballs, hovering, etc. Spam flashes if you have to get them out of the sky and get free hits.

Point 2: was answered in point 1 lolz. In case it wasn't obvious the head is the absolute weakest raw hitzone (it bounces purple sharp) and the tail (not the tail tip aka the actual part you cut off) is pretty resistant to damage as well. Rather focus on their wings which is their main accessible weakpoint (back is unrealistic but aim for it when they're fallen over).

Point 3: Lucent armor has sharp+1 and carving master. That in itself makes it inherently better since expect hell trying to gem sharp+1 into gold ian. Ian itself is a pretty crappy armor, instead use plessy X and gold ian waist for great luck + capture expert + cap guru + trap master + minds eye for all your quest/cap reward needs.

Point 4: For HBG go for the standard, normal up/evade dist/filler or for elem lbg spam use elem attack up/evade+1/filler. Also note that the head is the weakest elem hitzone followed by wings, while the weakest shot hitzone is the legs.

Point 5: relatively easy. Just watch mazereon's p3rd bowgun compendium silver los guide and it'll teach you all you need to know.
Back to top Go down
juniglee
Kelbi

PostSubject: Re: Need some help with Gold Rathian, Silver Rathalos and HBG   Need some help with Gold Rathian, Silver Rathalos and HBG Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 4:29 am

Thanks for the help haruno, sorry I didn't reply to this.

Slime LS seems to work fine for both of them, downed my kill times to about 15 - 20 minutes for both of them.

Lucent Narga is a pain, maybe I should make an Evade set for him...

Still no good at HBG, will slowly practice though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need some help with Gold Rathian, Silver Rathalos and HBG   Need some help with Gold Rathian, Silver Rathalos and HBG Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need some help with Gold Rathian, Silver Rathalos and HBG
Page 1 of 1