Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread

Go down 
+26
Ryuuji
Ken Kurobasa
XenonFrost
TKMT
Ataraxia
Jojozityjo
Crystalis
kama
Samochan
A Drunk Ninja
th8827
Tomderdepp
dcj91x
Antari18
Lagiacrus the ultimate
Baumgart5
X Kitsune X
Shindouz
PAiN---
InstaCakes
Raptor98
yvz
Firpi
Phazon Xenomorph
Sephastus
E&Troy
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
E&Troy
Seltas Queen
E&Troy

Thank you Points : 19

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use):

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2015 3:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

I didn't see one of these threads yet so I decided to start one.

To start it off, does anyone know how to unlock all of the 6* Caravan quests? I want to fight the high rank Gore without doing the Gathering Hall quests.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
A Drunk Ninja
Rhenoplos
A Drunk Ninja

Thank you Points : 3

3DS friends code: 4313-3105-0571
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 12:34 pm

Firpi wrote:
A Drunk Ninja wrote:
E&Troy wrote:
Bamboo Kaguya (this bow actually doesn't have that great of Charges, so it's not actually all that great, from what it looks like)

I am so mad at this. This was my favorite bow in 3U. If it still had the spread 5 on the lvl2 charge I could be happy but they went and made and obviously elemental geared bow useless. No one has time to wait for only lvl4 charges.

Im not sure if this is serious or sarcastic....

In general I don't like to use sarcasm. What part was confusing? I will work on that.

It was a serious comment. Using rapid 1,2, and 3 (for charge levels 2, 3, and 4) fires 1,2, and 3 arrows respectively. If you are going for elemental damage, like the bamboo bow is, this is not enough hits to accumulate and good elemental damage until you get to a lvl4 charge and have the good element and raw multiplier and the higher number of arrows to give the hits for elemental damage.

The spread 4 on the lvl1 charge is decent for getting the element damage out but the raw multiplier is 0.4. In 3U the spread shot was on the lvl2 charge which has a raw multiplier of 1 so that will contribute in the fight.
Back to top Go down
Firpi
Seltas Queen
Firpi

Thank you Points : 15

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Generations
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): US

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 1:32 pm

I thought it was sarcastic as I though elemental damage was not affected by multipliers, and so more arrows would be preferable to stronger charges.

So you are saying that in 3U you could get multiple arrow with good raw and element on the lvl2 charge.

In this case I have learned something new.
Back to top Go down
A Drunk Ninja
Rhenoplos
A Drunk Ninja

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 2:37 pm

On other weapons they are not. On bows they are. The things to look at are shot type and charge level.

The raw and element multipliers are as follows:
charge   raw   element
lvl1       0.4       0.7
lvl2       1.0      0.85
lvl3       1.5       1.0
lvl4       1.7      1.125

To the best of my knowledge ^this^ is true.

Spread 1 and 2 shots fire 3 arrows at a time. Spread 3 through 5 shots fire 5 arrows at a time. The number of arrows hitting makes the difference with the element damage.
Ignoring hitzones for a moment and using true element, here is an example:

Spread lvl3 x charge lvl1 x element of bow (bamboo kaguya)
5 arrows     x     0.7        x     53             =  185 water

With load up and lvl4 charge:
Rapid lvl3  x charge lvl4 x element of bow (bamboo kaguya)
3 arrows    x    1.125     x     53              =  178 water

So you see that, with respect to element, the bow is better suited for lvl1 charges. But then when looking at raw damage (which is another set of numbers) it isn't worth it.

Here is a video of Antari (I think) using it in 3U.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y6GLrV3SJY
Back to top Go down
Firpi
Seltas Queen
Firpi

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): US

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 2:51 pm

Now I really do understand why the bow is much worse now.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Jojozityjo
Fatalis
Jojozityjo

Thank you Points : 160

3DS friends code: 3754-8725-9197

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 4:42 pm

i actually find the bow pretty good, especially if you can get the right skill set. I got grank kushala and gemmed and talid it to have fast charge, load up, marathon runner, evasion, crit element, and heat cancel, heat is a bonus really, but the rest of that lets me constantly, rapidly, spam lv 4 charge shots indefinitely and i can easily stack on great dmg.

on topic, i do have a question for bow as i havent seen anything on some coatings. Like, i know power coatings are great, but my question is ....

why do status coatings suck so much? i mean, a gunner, gets like, 12 para coatings, yet on some monsters, they can paralyze it twice with that, easily at least once on every monster that can be paralyzed with several shots left over.
but bow? para coatings, they get like, 20, and yet, it takes like, 2, 3, even 4 times as many successful hits just to paralyze the same thing, sometimes it can never paralyze, why was bow jipped so much on this? x.x
Back to top Go down
Sephastus
Tigrex
Sephastus

Thank you Points : 32

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 5:34 pm

Jojozityjo wrote:
i actually find the bow pretty good, especially if you can get the right skill set. I got grank kushala and gemmed and talid it to have fast charge, load up, marathon runner, evasion, crit element, and heat cancel, heat is a bonus really, but the rest of that lets me constantly, rapidly, spam lv 4 charge shots indefinitely and i can easily stack on great dmg.

on topic, i do have a question for bow as i havent seen anything on some coatings. Like, i know power coatings are great, but my question is ....

why do status coatings suck so much? i mean, a gunner, gets like, 12 para coatings, yet on some monsters, they can paralyze it twice with that, easily at least once on every monster that can be paralyzed with several shots left over.
but bow? para coatings, they get like, 20, and yet, it takes like, 2, 3, even 4 times as many successful hits just to paralyze the same thing, sometimes it can never paralyze, why was bow jipped so much on this? x.x

I'll chime in until someone with more experience on Bows can fill in.

As a gunner, if you are status running, most probably you bring the level 2 status shots when possible. And if doing rapid shots, then level 1s are usable as well. It is much quicker to fire a gun than charge a bow... however, if you have the proper bows, and charge it up, you can afflict status on the monsters a few times per run.
Back to top Go down
Crystalis
Najarala
Crystalis

Thank you Points : 26

3DS friends code: 3909-8402-8213

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 7:04 pm

From personal experience, typically, unless a monster is extra weak/resistant to a status, most monsters require 10 shots from a bow to get statused. With 20 coatings, thats 2 per run of poison, para, etc. Not sure how it works from a game data standpoint, but that's what I've noticed. Sometimes when I fire the 10th shot, it won't show the monster's poison bubbles for a few seconds, so just be patient.
Back to top Go down
A Drunk Ninja
Rhenoplos
A Drunk Ninja

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 7:53 pm

Jojozityjo wrote:

Maybe I'll upgrade it and play with it a bit. My mind could change.

I know that the number of arrows directly affect the application of status. So a lvl3 or higher spread shot (5 arrows) will apply more status than a lvl4 or 5 rapid shot (4 arrows). If you have a monster big enough a pierce lvl4 or 5 gives 6 hits (best).
I don't think distance matters but charge lvl does.

para/sleep/blast        poison
lvl   modifier         lvl   modifier
 1       0.5      |       1       0.5
 2       1.0      |       2       1.0
 3       1.3      |       3       1.5
 4       1.3      |       4       1.5

So it looks like a spread 3+ at lvl3 charge up close might be the easiest way to apply status.

(edit) I don't know what I'm talking about. Shot type doesn't matter. please ignore that part.
Back to top Go down
A Drunk Ninja
Rhenoplos
A Drunk Ninja

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 8:57 pm

After some more looking it seems as if shot type does matter, again. I can't make up my mind. Yes by vort
Here is some information I found:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/943356-monster-hunter-freedom-unite/faqs/57883

Actual numbers may or may not be different but the principles of charges and shot type should be the same.
Back to top Go down
Jojozityjo
Fatalis
Jojozityjo

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 1:25 am

that chart seems to say that the coatings value decreases the more arrows/hits that are launched, i suppose in a way to try and prevent high level shot types from just outright being op. Although spread and pierce seem to be best at applying the status according to the numbers.

still though, i can dish out arrow attacks pretty fast with my set, but i still cant help but noticed that even with my increase in atk speed skills, my coatings just dont match up to a gunner, even when im using a gun that fires only 1 or 2 lv 1 shots per reload. and i cant find many bows that naturally make status coatings better, except my weblivion, my sleeper bow. Feels like i need to have Status skills or coating boosts to be able to keep up properly lol
Back to top Go down
A Drunk Ninja
Rhenoplos
A Drunk Ninja

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 3:08 am

I was surprised by that as well. And that's the conclusion I came to also, spread and pierce.

I don't know the info on the bowgun status shots but most of the time its a pretty specific set. So that is something to keep in mind.

Update on the bamboo kaguya. The other day I made the gogmazios gunner armor and tonight I paired it with the bamboo bow with the intent of spamming lvl1 shots. It turns out that you can fire so many arrows in such a short amount of time that it is viable for a water weak monster. I was hunting with some random people we were fighting gravios. I stayed right on it's leg and had it on the ground most of the fight. Obviously there was a group to capitalize on this but I also did a solo run and it only took about 20 minutes. Not too bad. I was rewarded with a pallium for my efforts.
Back to top Go down
E&Troy
Seltas Queen
E&Troy

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 1:04 pm

A Drunk Ninja wrote:
I was surprised by that as well. And that's the conclusion I came to also, spread and pierce.

I don't know the info on the bowgun status shots but most of the time its a pretty specific set. So that is something to keep in mind.

Update on the bamboo kaguya. The other day I made the gogmazios gunner armor and tonight I paired it with the bamboo bow with the intent of spamming lvl1 shots. It turns out that you can fire so many arrows in such a short amount of time that it is viable for a water weak monster. I was hunting with some random people we were fighting gravios. I stayed right on it's leg and had it on the ground most of the fight. Obviously there was a group to capitalize on this but I also did a solo run and it only took about 20 minutes. Not too bad. I was rewarded with a pallium for my efforts.

All that said, Elemental LBGs are still better than bows when it comes to inflicting elements. Unless of course, you run out of ammo. But that's the only place where LBGs are worse.
Back to top Go down
th8827
Cephalos
th8827

Thank you Points : 2

3DS friends code: 0533-4039-4608
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): United States

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 5:38 am

In past MH games, I have used Heavy Bowgun (MHF), Long Sword (MHFU, MH4 (JP, PS3), MH3U)), and Switch Axe MHTri). Currently, I'm happily using Long Sword.

I'm considering learning Bow, just for some variety. Any advice?
Back to top Go down
A Drunk Ninja
Rhenoplos
A Drunk Ninja

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 9:43 am

@E&Troy: I agree. I did a bit of elemental gunning in 3U (A. Lagi, G. Agnaktor, Ludroth just for fun) and nothing can touch it, till the ammo is gone.

@th8827: Thats great! Like the other gunner weapons it is more complicated than blade.
The seregios bow is a good one to start with. It has rapid shots on all of its charge levels, good raw damage, and you don't need to worry about element. You will need the load up skill though.

The kushala gunner armor (with blade head) gives a really nice skill set for this bow if you have the materials. Just finish the load up skill and you are good to go.

For the actual fighting of monsters you can aim the bow so do it and hit those weakspots.
There is a certain distance/range for each shot type that you get critical damage. This is different than a critical hit. You can tell you have critical distance because the screen will shake slightly when your shot hits. Try to maintain this because it is a big damage increase.
Next is charging. For the most part you always want to charge to lv3. This is the biggest thing that affects your damage output.
And if you bow has power coatings make sure you bring and use them.
The bow has a low raw damage modifier so what you see is close to what you get. And with the things I described above each shot will be doing over three times your true raw.
charge x critical distance x power coating x true raw x hitzone =
1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 x raw x hitzone =
You can see where I am going with this. The modifier for bows is 1.2 if you want to know.
For a demonstration Gaijin hunter, and a few other people, have tutorials you can see some of these things.
Back to top Go down
th8827
Cephalos
th8827

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 3:19 pm

I already have the Chameleos and Crimson Fatty bows (made them for an award). Are they better, or should I make the Seregios Bow?
Back to top Go down
Jojozityjo
Fatalis
Jojozityjo

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 4:23 pm

i wouldnt just stick to one bow, even if you're sure you have a bow that could work on everything. Bows benefit a lot from their element and coatings they can use, so it's best to take something that is best for the monster at hand. Arrow types should be considered too. You dont wanna be taking pierce arrows against something tiny, like a kirin or bird wyvern, nor spread for those, even those arrow types are great dmg and status inflicters. And id say a decent status bow could work on anything, but there are those few special elder dragon things that are immune to all status effects, so, yeah XD

now, a question ....
Ukanlos ...
how the heck do you dodge that move where he goes under the ice and basically shark attack charges you while being able to turn on a dime, so no matter how much you run to the side, he is still right at you x.x
i keep trying to epic dive to the side and behind him a bit, but that's a big gamble and most the time i end up hit anyway, especially if i dont do it exactly perfectly x.x
Back to top Go down
th8827
Cephalos
th8827

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 4:31 pm

Jojozityjo wrote:

Ukanlos ...
how the heck do you dodge that move where he goes under the ice and basically shark attack charges you while being able to turn on a dime, so no matter how much you run to the side, he is still right at you x.x
i keep trying to epic dive to the side and behind him a bit, but that's a big gamble and most the time i end up hit anyway, especially if i dont do it exactly perfectly x.x
You run towards him at a 30-45 degree angle. If possible, panic dive when you get near him, for extra safety. The ice around him will not hurt you. Only his body and the flying ice shards will. Once you get behind him, you are safe.
Back to top Go down
E&Troy
Seltas Queen
E&Troy

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 4:54 pm

th8827 wrote:
Jojozityjo wrote:

Ukanlos ...
You run towards him at a 30-45 degree angle. If possible, panic dive when you get near him, for extra safety. The ice around him will not hurt you. Only his body and the flying ice shards will. Once you get behind him, you are safe.

Or, if you are REALLY desperate, bring 11 Farcasters and use them whenever you see the move coming.
Back to top Go down
th8827
Cephalos
th8827

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 6:07 pm

Is the strength of the shot stronger if the charge is longer, or if the skill level is higher?

For example, for the Crimson Fatalis bow, the level 2 charge is Rapid L5, and the level 3 charge is Pierve L4. Which would be better?
Back to top Go down
E&Troy
Seltas Queen
E&Troy

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2015 6:55 pm

th8827 wrote:
Is the strength of the shot stronger if the charge is longer, or if the skill level is higher?

For example, for the Crimson Fatalis bow, the level 2 charge is Rapid L5, and the level 3 charge is Pierve L4. Which would be better?

Level 2 charge does 1.0 times the raw damage, whereas the level 3 charge does 1.5 times more raw damage.

According to some stuff I saw online, a Rapid L5 shot does 12+4+3+3 damage (The farthest shot arrow is the 12, next farthest is the 4, and so on). So without calculating where you are hitting the monster, your raw damage would be 1.0x22 = 22

Pierce L4 does 6 x 5 pierces, so with a level 3 charge, you're doing 30 x 1.5 = 45 raw.

That is assuming you get all 5 pierces to hit though. Compared to the Rapid, which can easily get all 4 arrows to hit. Plus getting to the second charge doesn't take as long as getting to the third charge.

So all that said, it would really depend on what monster you're fighting. Plus I didn't calculate the time it takes to charge the bow either (Since I don't even know those times), so there's another factor.
Back to top Go down
th8827
Cephalos
th8827

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 2:48 am

Let me rephrase that.

Is the Charge Level or the Skill Level more important? For example, if there is a lvl 2 skill with Pierce L5 and a lvl 3 skill with Pierce L4, which is better?

Also, how do I apply Coatings?
Back to top Go down
Tomderdepp
Seltas
Tomderdepp

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): EU

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 5:16 am

you aply coating by peressing A+X (you should be able to read that from ingame weapon description though)

if charge level or shot level is more important depends on what you want to achieve:
chrge level directly influences dmg output don't know the exact multyplyers right now but the more you charge the more dmg you do (as far as i know there are also multyplyers for element and status at least that's how it was in 3U)

the shot level influences how many hits you can get with a shot. so rapid 1 is only one arrow 2 has two arros and the number increases (at some levels the number of arrows stays the same but  the dmg done by each arrow gets increased) again i don't know the exact values and levels but it should be easy to look them up.

on most bows the shots are pretty balanced but in general you always want to at least charge to lvl2. if lvl2 chrge has a significantly higher shot lvl it can be more effective than lvl 3 charges. but in general you don't want to use bows in endgame that have a lvl 1 or 2 shot as final charge. ideal is of course lvl4 or 5 shots at 3rd charge (or 4th with load up)

in this specific case lvl3 is better especially if you have focus so the time difference between lvl2 and lvl3 isn't so big. but in general lvl3 is better though it would be no shame to hit a lvl2 every once in a while
Back to top Go down
Jojozityjo
Fatalis
Jojozityjo

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 4:20 pm

th8827 wrote:
Jojozityjo wrote:

Ukanlos ...

ive tried that, it almost never works, the only time it seems to have a chance of working, is if he is moving fast enough when you do it so he speeds by you before your epic dive invulnerability is over with
Back to top Go down
Crystalis
Najarala
Crystalis

Thank you Points : 26

3DS friends code: 3909-8402-8213

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 6:28 pm

No, no. Never do the panic dive, never touch the B button, that's what gets you hit. Just sprint normally. Wide arc before he passes, tighten the circle after he passes.
Back to top Go down
A Drunk Ninja
Rhenoplos
A Drunk Ninja

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2015 7:11 pm

Put sneak on your armor and let it screw someone else over.

Stupid land shark BS...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread   Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Question Thread
Page 8 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next