Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Online or offline? Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Online or offline? Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Online or offline?

Go down 
+5
th8827
Chips
Sephastus
Un-Tan
MHWF
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
MHWF
MHWikiForums
MHWF

Thank you Points : 31

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code: 4468-1021-0797
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): US

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2016 11:32 am

Online or offline? MHGen_GIF_Astalos

I usually complete the offline mode of a Monster Hunter game fully before starting online. I may to some gathering missions and early hunts with friends but rarely do I go full in to the online portion of the game.

I do this for a few reasons.

Online or offline? MHGen_GIF_Gammoth

I like to keep the game as challenging as possible all the way through. Most often the gap between online weapons and gear versus offline weapons and gear is too big of a gap. Having online items to play offline usually causes the offline to be more monotonous and simple. While completing the full offline first and then going online seems a smother transition. For me, completing offline before committing to online makes the game more well rounded all together.

Online or offline? MHGen_GIF_Glavenus

Another advantage I feel of completing the offline portion of an MH game first is the weapons and armor that aren't always available online. While often not as powerful as the online weapons you could have playing the same amount of time online, the offline exclusive weapons usually look really good. Same with the armor. Once you've past a certain point online though there's no reason to have them. This makes it pretty much pointless to have anything but the armor you get online if you choose to start there first.

Finally, while Monster Hunter games are not known for their epic stories (which they don't really have). There is still some story elements and a lot of characters to speak with. In generations many characters from past games return and makes interacting with NPC's worth while.

That's my thoughts on the matter anyways. What do you all think? What's some of your alls thoughts on playing one element of the game first versus another? Do you have tips on play both equally to keep it balanced?
Back to top Go down
https://mhwiki.forumotion.net
Un-Tan
Seltas Queen
Un-Tan

Thank you Points : 4

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2016 11:53 am

I usually try to sort of limit myself on the online part until I have beaten offline for the same reason you mentioned. I wont progress further in online than I have in offline. On top of that I tend to do very time consuming things like not progressing from low-rank to high/high-rank to G until every DS I have is as maxed out as they can be at that point. Even if it means farming rathalos for several hours just to get one plate.
Back to top Go down
Sephastus
Tigrex
Sephastus

Thank you Points : 32

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Generations
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2016 1:51 pm

I am doing offline mode when I am not with my friends only. We are slow to progress together as our schedules eat up much of our times. I am, by far, the most active player of MHG at the moment. In Fact, tonight will be the only the second time that I play online with my friends, and I have not played with any random since starting the game.

I enjoy the MH series, and the reason I do mostly offiline, appart from what was mentioned prior to this, is that I like to drag out what I like. Like savoring a really well prepared meal, I like taking my time, and taking it all in. There is no rush to get stuff, since I already know that due to the countless (ok, thousands) of hours I have already put into this game series, I know my classes well, and I should be able to finish the game in due time. I have nothing to prove to people, So slow and steady is my current way to go.

Also, those offline only gears are amazingly good looking. I love that it is available only that way.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Chips
Shagaru Magala
Chips

Thank you Points : 108

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Sun

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 5:46 am

MH to me, has always been about playing with friends, so opt Online most of the time, but I do offline when we can't play together. Just so happens the friends I play with I crazy hunters, so I tend to have to keep up to their level, which means progressing at fast rate. =P

It might take away from the early challenges, but I enjoy the endgame content the most anyways, so the trade-off isn't so bad.
Back to top Go down
th8827
Cephalos
th8827

Thank you Points : 2

3DS friends code: 0533-4039-4608
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): United States

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2016 7:49 pm

I am a completionist, so I play through offline first.

The offline stuff becomes a chore if I have to go back with end game super armor.
Back to top Go down
Jojozityjo
Fatalis
Jojozityjo

Thank you Points : 160

3DS friends code: 3754-8725-9197

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2016 7:28 pm

i like to finish offline first, but that can of course take a while, and i have friends who like to play, so i wont rob myself or them of play time together, so i will get on and play with them, but i do prefer t oget offline done first as soon as i can, cause it does feel like a better transition and i am a completionist lol
Back to top Go down
Kanade
Seregios
Kanade

Thank you Points : 174

3DS friends code:

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 12:15 am

went online first cuz yellow/green sharpness is boring
Back to top Go down
https://xmaskanade.tumblr.com
Ataraxia
Rajang
Ataraxia

Thank you Points : 33

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): England

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 6:59 pm

^Solid reason.

I have however been doing offline first, and I'm having way more fun doing so than in MH4U. I remember having loads of fun doing online with randoms back in Tri, (and the few of you guys I managed to play with) but Iunno, I just don't care for it anymore.

The logic makes sense to me a little more too, MH to me has always been about improving, and doing offline first complements that.
Back to top Go down
Jojozityjo
Fatalis
Jojozityjo

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 7:48 pm

Kanade wrote:
went online first cuz yellow/green sharpness is boring

oh god dont i know it, been in village crap for ages and i still cant my stupid swax to lose it's tiny lil inch of green for at least some more solid green that wont go away in a few lil smacks. One reason I like Swax, sword mode dont freaking bounce as much as other weapons. But still, the sharpness is so small, it gets to red a bit too easily and then bam, killed by bouncing x.x

freaking hate the low sharpness of early game so damn much lol
Back to top Go down
MHWF
MHWikiForums
MHWF

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 10:09 am

^ Isn't starting off with nothing and working your way up the whole point of.. well all games? Yellow/Green sharpness never bothered me especially in this game. The rate at which everything improves seems to be a nice steady pace. You don't need more sharpness until maybe 4* village because everything is pretty much easy to kill. At 4* you start getting the more powerful monsters that help open up the more powerful weapons as well.
Back to top Go down
Kanade
Seregios
Kanade

3DS friends code:

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 8:01 pm

nah, there are keys where even blue sharpness bounce like garuga and certain body parts. also a lot of the online quests r the same as the village ones cept more hp so its kinda redundant anyways. challenge for me is at the end when im working for the best sets and to fight the best monsters. bouncing at low rank when everything will be replaced anyways is no bueno. (for me anyhoo)
Back to top Go down
Sephastus
Tigrex
Sephastus

3DS friends code:

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2016 12:26 pm

If you are bouncing, you are hitting the wrong part.
Back to top Go down
Kanade
Seregios
Kanade

3DS friends code:

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2016 4:07 pm

Exactly once I entered the end game I no longer have to attack the "wrong part" to break them since I won't need the material
Back to top Go down
Jojozityjo
Fatalis
Jojozityjo

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2016 8:04 pm

i have more fun having my more endgame stuff, where im more set with being able to send out cats to gather stuff for me so i can focus more on hunting the big things, and preferely with weapons that dont bounce off every part of the monsters body except one lil flabby part lol

and hitting the wrong part? i know, but who cares, the hit boxes on this game can be so dang accuracte that even if you are swinging at the futtable parts, the swings can be so dang big you hit some other part 80% of the time lol
and when i want it dead, i dont go for 1 lil weakpoint, you end up spending too much time trying to save throws for that weakpoint, so i just swing at it mercilessly, timing my dodges to counter atk, and if by chance an oppertunity comes to strike it's weaker parts, ill gladly take it, but i wont be holding my breath for it cause the hunt ends up taking longer than it would have if i was swinging madly lol

but lord, so many things bounce so easily, and i cant find any decent weapons that have enough green to open up more windows until i get higher up, tis why i use swax, sword mode dont bounce lol
granted i wish i could use axe mode more, i like axe mode, i like ot switch it up, but hey, least im not bouncing in sword mode nearly as much lol

just wish i could get through offline faster to get up to the good stuff, ive been using 1 set and 1 weapon type the entire time because of zenny and the sharpness stuff lol
cant wait to get stuff settled though so i can start branching out and giving myself some worthwhile variety to hunt with other than snowbaron armor and swax XD
Back to top Go down
Kanade
Seregios
Kanade

3DS friends code:

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2016 11:28 pm

ye i used the same rare1 set up to hr6 before i changed to rathalos cuz i wanted to hunt high level deviants... money gets rly tight in HR as upgrades start shooting up to the 5 digit area U_U
Back to top Go down
Chips
Shagaru Magala
Chips

Thank you Points : 108

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Sun

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2016 3:40 am

Was funny seeing Nana with HR1 gear, but HR4-6 weapons until HR6 xD. All you need is adept in life!
Back to top Go down
th8827
Cephalos
th8827

Thank you Points : 2

3DS friends code: 0533-4039-4608
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): United States

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2016 4:40 am

Besides Uargaan's chin, which everything bounces off of, and the narrow part of Yian Garugs's tail, I have not really noticed any bouncing...
Back to top Go down
Sephastus
Tigrex
Sephastus

3DS friends code:

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2016 11:28 am

When you look at a hit chart, places that are not weak (sub 35), can be twice as hard as those that are weak (50+). A bounce reduces your attack by 75%. So doing the math, on a 30 weakness vs a 60 weakness, we get:

1 normal hit = 100
Hit a weak are = 125
Hit a non weak area = (50 * .25 ) = 12.5

You will have to hit a non weak area 10 normal times before you get the damage of one well placed hit on a weak area.

So walking around looking for that weak spot makes perfect sense, and it is why I feel GS run & Gun is one of the best tactics in this game. A level 3 charge to a weak spot, makes up for not having attacked it for the entire minute before because you are looking for that spot. Less lethal too.

my 2 zenny
Back to top Go down
Lucas
Rathalos
Lucas

Thank you Points : 63

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use):

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2016 1:39 pm

Bouncing reduces attack by 75% ? Source ,please.

( I'm pretty sure you wont find one cause it's not true)
Back to top Go down
MHWF
MHWikiForums
MHWF

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2016 2:18 pm

Sephastus wrote:
When you look at a hit chart, places that are not weak (sub 35), can be twice as hard as those that are weak (50+). A bounce reduces your attack by 75%. So doing the math, on a 30 weakness vs a 60 weakness, we get:

1 normal hit = 100
Hit a weak are = 125
Hit a non weak area = (50 * .25 ) = 12.5

You will have to hit a non weak area 10 normal times before you get the damage of one well placed hit on a weak area.

So walking around looking for that weak spot makes perfect sense, and it is why I feel GS run & Gun is one of the best tactics in this game. A level 3 charge to a weak spot, makes up for not having attacked it for the entire minute before because you are looking for that spot. Less lethal too.

my 2 zenny

Is that the calculations for the older games or generations. I know in previous games the complex damage ratio's were similar to that but did that remain in Generations?

MHtri: [ATP x TYPE x SHARP x HITZONE / CLASS]
+ [ELEMENT x SHARP x ELMZONE / 10] = DAMAGE

Raw attack power listed in your status and element listed on your weapon.
Back to top Go down
Sephastus
Tigrex
Sephastus

3DS friends code:

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2016 2:36 pm

Lucas wrote:
Bouncing reduces attack by 75% ? Source ,please.

( I'm pretty sure you wont find one cause it's not true)

This has been one of the most fundamental ideas from the onset of the game.

While break damage and elemental damage go through, you get a severe hit (double last I checked) to your sharpness, and the hit will do 75% less damage. I remember reading that inside the game from the trainer when I first played the game.

Unless they changed this mechanic for MHGen, striking a hard zone has this severe damage penalty. Else, minds eye is the absolute best skill in the game. Just take it, and go for all the easy to reach places. specially if you factor in Bludgeoner, that gives you more attack the more your sharpness drops.

I will look for my MH3U PDF guide and see if I can scan the page that explains the sharpness vs hit-zones.

The only things that remain the same, are elemental, break, and KO damage, raw damage does not.
Back to top Go down
Lucas
Rathalos
Lucas

3DS friends code:

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2016 3:03 pm

That fundamental idea has been debunked since MHFU via HP display hacks.
Bouncing doesn't reduce damage; it's a result of low damage (which includes sharpness level and weapon specific sharpness modifiers).

I don't have the 3U guide so I will wait for that scan or screenshot.
Back to top Go down
Sephastus
Tigrex
Sephastus

3DS friends code:

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2016 3:13 pm

I have not found my MH3U guide pdf, since it was placed in an older computer, but I did find this page from our old wiki days:

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Offense_And_Sharpness_Skills

So, damage increase per sharpness level should be something like 12.5% raw damage per sharpness increase, all things being equal. In order to verify if bouncing reduces your damage or not, someone will have to test weapons with the same type, hitting at the same spot on the weaponwith 2 different sharpnesses but the exact same attack. A 100 hit WITH a bounce, will have to do 12.5 more damage per sharpness increase without a bounce. If the non-bounced does anything higher than that, then the bounce hit was reduced.

Being that there is no hp display, this might be difficult to accomplish.

Back to top Go down
Lucas
Rathalos
Lucas

3DS friends code:

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2016 3:23 pm

It has already been done.
GaijinHunter made a video about it and literally every good wiki has a section explaining what causes a bounce to happen and how it doesn't lower damage.
Back to top Go down
Sephastus
Tigrex
Sephastus

3DS friends code:

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2016 3:38 pm

Lucas wrote:
It has already been done.
GaijinHunter made a video about it and literally every good wiki has a section explaining what causes a bounce to happen and how it doesn't lower damage.
I will look into this, but I am still more inclined to believe what in game tutorials say, and official guides over non-official claims, no matter how respected they may be. We all, after all, make mistakes.

But mark my words, if bounce doesn't affect damage, minds eye + bludgeoner and a wide reaching weapon, like LS or Hammer are poised to be kings of damage... not to mention the worn weapons at maximum level... 270 raw damage with sharp+2, bludgeoner, Fencing and any other damage booster, like Heroics etc... ouch per hit, only getting stronger the more you "Bart Simpson windmill Fight " it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Online or offline? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Online or offline?   Online or offline? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Online or offline?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next