Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing? Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing? Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing?

Go down 
+5
kevinguit15
Atalanta
Dar
anduin55
Dark Soul Slayer
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Dark Soul Slayer
Felyne
Dark Soul Slayer

Thank you Points : 1

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing?   Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 2:59 am

Topic
Back to top Go down
anduin55
Rhenoplos
anduin55

3DS friends code: 2852-7597-3150
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing?   Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 3:03 am

They haven't made any announcements as of yet. Speculation is that they're going to close it around the time MH3U comes out. Whether that's before, after, or the day of remains to be seen.
Back to top Go down
https://plus.google.com/109952126346148067866
Dar
Melynx
Dar

Thank you Points : 0

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Italy

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing?   Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 6:37 am

Yes,more or less when mh3U will come out...
Back to top Go down
Atalanta
Rhenoplos

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing?   Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 10:38 am

If I had to guess, I'd put the Tri servers shutdown (at least in USA) in May or June (around Memorial Day), just as the USA students start summer vacation and start playing video games for even longer hours, and they get graduation money or get-out-of-your-parents'-hair money to buy new games/consoles.

Latest date I'd forecast is USA Labor Day (~1st weekend of September). School's back in session, so less hunters on the servers. As demand drops off, quietly shut down the servers.

Probably in February we'll see an announcement. Only 4 more months of speculation!
Back to top Go down
anduin55
Rhenoplos
anduin55

3DS friends code: 2852-7597-3150

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing?   Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 2:32 pm

Atalanta wrote:
If I had to guess, I'd put the Tri servers shutdown (at least in USA) in May or June (around Memorial Day), just as the USA students start summer vacation and start playing video games for even longer hours, and they get graduation money or get-out-of-your-parents'-hair money to buy new games/consoles.

Latest date I'd forecast is USA Labor Day (~1st weekend of September). School's back in session, so less hunters on the servers. As demand drops off, quietly shut down the servers.

Probably in February we'll see an announcement. Only 4 more months of speculation!
As good a guess as that is, I don't think they'll keep the online servers up that long. Capcom has said that it's very expensive to keep the servers running, and the only reason they're still on is because we don't have any other monster hunter games with online in the west. I'm thinking that as soon as MH3U becomes available, they'll shut Tri's servers down within the month, if not week.
Another reason it might not work is that the announcement for the shutting down of the servers is more than likely going to come from Capcom Japan, and they probably don't know our american (never mind western in general) calendar well enough to coordinate that.
But then, it's as you say: Four more months to go!
Back to top Go down
https://plus.google.com/109952126346148067866
Atalanta
Rhenoplos

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing?   Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 01, 2012 6:08 pm

anduin55 wrote:
Atalanta wrote:

As good a guess as that is, I don't think they'll keep the online servers up that long. Capcom has said that it's very expensive to keep the servers running, and the only reason they're still on is because we don't have any other monster hunter games with online in the west. I'm thinking that as soon as MH3U becomes available, they'll shut Tri's servers down within the month, if not week.
Another reason it might not work is that the announcement for the shutting down of the servers is more than likely going to come from Capcom Japan, and they probably don't know our american (never mind western in general) calendar well enough to coordinate that.
But then, it's as you say: Four more months to go!

Oh believe me, they know the American calendar. Any international company does. I used to work for Lego retail when I was in college. Lego is a Danish company. Their new toy releases come a few months before the winter holidays, and now also in late spring, right before summer vacations. They may also tie it in with movie release dates, usually a month or two before. Businesses know their customers. It's their business to know. Those that don't are doomed.

(I could go on - I've been an engineer in manufacturing for 7 years now, and have to work with international supply chains. Chinese New Year's a huge headache, since most of Asia shuts down for two weeks. Planning for the slowdown happens months in advance)

Back to Tri servers:

If you've been on the American servers lately, the majority of hunters are from Latin America, not USA (or at least, it seems that way. It does depend on what time you're on the servers, as a number of South American time zones are an hour or two ahead of the USA East Coast). Nintendo is also targeting the original Wii to emerging markets (BRIC). It's well suited for these markets, as it's more accessible than PS or Xbox. So Nintendo and/or Capcom may want to maintain the Tri servers to expand the market and capture the hardcore gamer market before PS / Xbox move in. To give you a sense of the uncaptured potential of South America - Mexico accounts for 70% of video game system sales in Latin America, even though South America has triple Mexico's population. (and Brazil's GDP per capita is more than Mexico)

So I'm not sure it's good business sense to shut down Tri's servers when emerging markets are about to pick up the game for the first time. Maybe at a company like Capcom, margins are too thin to take the risk, but it's something for them to consider.

It might be they shut down the EU servers, but keep the American servers going to keep the Latin American audience growing. It's a stretch to think so, but there is a viable business case for doing so.

Also, if we look at Tri's sales figures in the USA, only about 60% of its 2010 sales came in the first two months. Compare to that to Skyward Sword, which sold >90% of its first year sales in its first two months (granted, Skyward came out around the holidays, but still you can see the difference). The MH series, at least in the west, is a word-of-mouth game, not a flash-in-the-pan game. And that may mean that Tri needs support in the west a little longer in order to up-convert fans to MH3U later.

I could go further into sales figures to show that Tri in the west has had considerable longevity compared to other Wii games. It's just that different from anything else on the Wii. It's almost like Blizzard's Battle.net - and they STILL support Starcraft and Diablo II - games almost a decade old!

But yep, I'm still just guessing. I don't know their server costs, their sales projections for Tri past MH3U's release, their plans for emerging markets. But I'm at least using a S.W.A.G. instead of a W.A.G.

Frankly, for me, it's moot - I plan to buy a WiiU and MH3U in March. But as an engineer with interest in business decision making (especially since I have to make these decisions from time to time), I find it fascinating to speculate on what they're going to do with a legacy game.
Back to top Go down
Dark Soul Slayer
Felyne
Dark Soul Slayer

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title:

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing?   Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2012 3:00 am

Sweet thanks for the update guys.
Back to top Go down
kevinguit15
Kelbi

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing?   Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 11:21 am

30 of april it has been announced already the server are shutting down then
Back to top Go down
Arkenaw
Rhenoplos
Arkenaw

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): US

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing?   Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 11:23 am

Necro >.>
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitch.tv/arkenaw#
Yuki
Rajang
Yuki

Thank you Points : 20

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3ds

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing?   Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 11:50 am

What he said please try to look at the date of the last post before sending in your reply. It is not quite necro yet but pretty close to it and everything has been posted on the forum home page.
Back to top Go down
Ataraxia
Rajang
Ataraxia

Thank you Points : 33

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): England

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing?   Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 12:29 pm

This thread is already 4 months old? WHERE IS TIME GOING.
Back to top Go down
Win32error
Lead Admin
Win32error

Thank you Points : 89

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing?   Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2013 6:51 am

As said before, please check the dates on threads, especially with question threads like these. And be nice everyone, it's an easy mistake to make.

Thread locked.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing?   Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone know the date of when the EU & US servers are closing?
Page 1 of 1