Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Advice on cutting tails Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Advice on cutting tails Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Advice on cutting tails

Go down 
+5
Shepherd
Ataraxia
Yuki
navgoose
Dragsaw
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Dragsaw
Aptonoth

Thank you Points : 0

Advice on cutting tails Empty
PostSubject: Advice on cutting tails   Advice on cutting tails Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 2:07 am

So its lateish game and im hunting blos and i need his marrow, and as lance is cutting it and i dont know how to fight wit any cutting weapons i need some advice on what to yous and how to learn to have it for a full hunt not just a cut
Back to top Go down
navgoose
Seltas Queen
navgoose

Thank you Points : 62

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Advice on cutting tails   Advice on cutting tails Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 4:38 am

Lance, SWAX, GS, and LS can all hit the tail pretty well while blos is standing. If you want to cut it with SnS, you need to focus on tripping/KO'ing him and unleashing on the tail immediately. Shock trap for ease.

Overall, I'd say GS and SWAX have easiest time cutting blos tail.

Don't bother trying with slicing shot, and of course not hammer.
Back to top Go down
Yuki
Rajang
Yuki

Thank you Points : 20

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3ds

PostSubject: Re: Advice on cutting tails   Advice on cutting tails Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 5:20 am

I would also make use of shock traps to keep diablos still while you aim at it's tail. For switch axe the rising slash in sword mode and with great sword level three charges, Lance is straight forward trap it then just upstab the tail. Longsword I would rather trip diablos then attack the tail while it's on the ground. Overall great sword and switch axe are better at doing their job as they make use of their raw nature to great use. Switch axe I recommend great inceadeus, great demonbind, or amber hoarfrost depending on your rank. Great sword either anguish P or sieglinde P with critical draw. Lance sabertooth G. Longsword barbarian sharq P, heaven thunder r, or dark claw demise. Barbarian sharq being the best option.
Back to top Go down
Ataraxia
Rajang
Ataraxia

Thank you Points : 33

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): England

PostSubject: Re: Advice on cutting tails   Advice on cutting tails Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2013 11:29 am

Hit it 'til it flies.

If you specifically need his tail off, and your team is ok with helping you out with that, then a hammerer and as Yuki said, lots of shock traps can be a great help. In my experience, lances are probably the most painless way of cutting the tail, so if your hammerer goes nuts on Diablos' head while you and whoever else go nuts on the tail, it'll be off in no time. Hammers are always good.
Back to top Go down
Shepherd
Felyne
Shepherd

Thank you Points : 4

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3ds
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Advice on cutting tails   Advice on cutting tails Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 12:55 am

Much of this advice is applicable with any weapon but I favor lance and hammer. That being said read the following with the lance in mind.

Blos' tail is a bit daunting at first but if you take the time (and money) to study the patterns it really isn't that hard. The best advice I can offer: spend time watching it attack. Start a quest (if someone wants to come along be sure you let them know that your observing) and just watch how it acts. Be selective; don't attack unless you are sure you've a good chance to hit the TAIL!

Usually the best place to be is between its legs facing the tail. If you use the upward strike your hitting the tail base. Be sure of your postioning (it takes some getting used to) as if your too far in front then your not hitting the tail and setting yourself up for a hit. Too far back and it will catch you with a tail swipe.

Obviously bring shock traps but try and avoid using them unless it is tired/drooling. We are talking about diablos though so you may have to settle for "not raging for the moment". Keep in mind that each successive shock trap is going to be a shorter stun than the one before it so avoid useing the trap until you have hit the tail a couple of dozen times or so.

GUARD+2 is a Godsend and if you’re a serious lancer USE MEGA DASH JUICE! I don't evade lance and play very aggressively, with a little practice you can lay down so many counters in short 1-2 hit bursts that it will either trip or scream multiple times, which can be countered, which can make it trip, which is more time for tail lovin'.

Speaking of which, remember that when it goes into rage it doesn’t scream immediately (and sometimes not at all). Look for it to lower its head and shake it, THAT'S when it’s going to scream. I say this because when it does go into rage it will often taunt before acting, that’s 3-4 seconds of tail whacking that will make all the difference in the world.

DON'T CHASE IT, let it come to you! If it's raging and begins to charge combo let it crash into you like waves on a stone. Most monsters are right handed, if you keep it slightly to the left you will often hit a charge happy monster like the blos on the tail. If not then you will land in the same spot on the leg enough where you can cause a stumble.

The barioth lance, gobul lance, and even the baggi lance help tremendously (although any lance will do fine). If you bring the gobul lance remember to bring along sharpener or if your online craft the Jhen waist so you can get razor sharp. If you bring the baggi lance remember to bring some large barrel bomb+'s and set them off at the tail with the spear's guarded thrust attack.

One trick is situational but if you’re serious about the tail it can help: leave the horns alone. If it charges you in area 8 the horns can become logged in the ledge and columns. All you have to do is turtle up in front of the obstacles (I think it has to be out of rage) and it will become stuck. Keep in mind that these obstacles will eventually break and blos will not stick if its horns are broken. Don't rely on this method for consistent cuts as it becomes tedious and very "luck" based.

When retreating to eat in area 9 it will sometimes walk toward the area 10 entrance. If it does this you can run behind it (it will see you but ignore you), music will play but it will just keep walking. I have been able to land blows for literally 10sec before and it won't respond. Again a situational tactic and something you shouldn’t rely on.
Back to top Go down
Atalanta
Rhenoplos

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Advice on cutting tails   Advice on cutting tails Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 1:16 am

One more piece of advice - when Diablos recovers from either a sonic bomb or pitfall trap, he'll briefly take flight. A flash bomb while he's in the air will cause him to crash to the ground, where his tail is now in reach.
Back to top Go down
PAiN---
Rathian
PAiN---

Thank you Points : 9

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): United States

PostSubject: Re: Advice on cutting tails   Advice on cutting tails Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 2:10 am

^good combo to repeat if ur quick enough, on multiplayer this is dominance
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/757PAiN?feature=watch
Enkidu
Melynx
Enkidu

PostSubject: Re: Advice on cutting tails   Advice on cutting tails Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 10:39 pm

navgoose wrote:

Don't bother trying with slicing shot, and of course not hammer.

Given how bad my prefered weapon (SnS) is for this tail I usually slice shoot it off instead when I'm after it. Using shock traps and para ammo makes it easier as well.

Actually most of the time I'm gunning I try and slice off the tail for the fun of it, los is more of a challenge than blos.
Back to top Go down
Andrea88GOD
Kecha Wacha

Thank you Points : 35

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri

PostSubject: Re: Advice on cutting tails   Advice on cutting tails Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 4:59 pm

yeah, slicing are actually pretty good if you are a good gunner.
while the hammer really can't cut anything (for obvious reasons).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice on cutting tails   Advice on cutting tails Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Advice on cutting tails
Page 1 of 1