Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Help a noob out?  (Ammo Edition) Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Help a noob out?  (Ammo Edition) Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Help a noob out? (Ammo Edition)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Reaperfan
Kelbi

Thank you Points : 0

Help a noob out?  (Ammo Edition) Empty
PostSubject: Help a noob out? (Ammo Edition)   Help a noob out?  (Ammo Edition) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 9:42 pm

Having played with it, I rather like working as a gunner.  However, I have run into some problems understanding how some of the various ammo types work.

First of all, what good are pierce shots?  Maybe I'm just using the wrong bowguns and none of them happen to be optimized for their use, but they always seem to have bad reload times with small cartridge sizes and don't seem to be hitting multiple times like their description says they should be.

Second, what is the optimum range for Level 2 Pellet Shots?  I've tried way far away to right up in the monster's face, but I can't ever seem to trigger the multiple hit effect like I can with the Level 1 Pellet Shots.

Third, outside of the elemental shots (freezing, water, fire, etc) I've not really been able to figure out which of the "special effect" shots are useful.  I realize every hunt is different, but in general are there any of these special status-inflicting ammo types such as sleep, paralysis, or poison I should be using more often?

And lastly, is there any way to craft Slime Shots?  With ammos that have low inventory capacities I usually pack ingredients to craft more on the spot when I run out, but I can't for the life of me find a recipe that even looks like it would be used to make these.  I've not used any Slime Shots yet, but as I'm currently working towards some Brachydios gear I figure they'd be worth looking into at least to experiment with.  Am I stuck buying these from the shop and only having 12 shots per hunt?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Back to top Go down
MasterOnion
MasterOnion

Thank you Points : 43

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Help a noob out? (Ammo Edition)   Help a noob out?  (Ammo Edition) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 10:34 pm

You have to line up pierce shots, and they are not good on small monsters. They follow a line and continue hitting along that line, if there is not enough of the monster in the way after the first or second hit they do no further damage.

The optimal range for pellet shots is only about 1-2 rolls away from the monster. Just make sure you have the gun facing the monsters center for all the hits to land.

Yes there are status effect ammo's for bowguns, and you should be able to see every ammo type in your bowgun's equipment data.

Huskberry + Bomb Arowana makes Slime S
Back to top Go down
Reaperfan
Kelbi

Thank you Points : 0

PostSubject: Re: Help a noob out? (Ammo Edition)   Help a noob out?  (Ammo Edition) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 10:49 pm

MasterOnion wrote:
You have to line up pierce shots, and they are not good on small monsters. They follow a line and continue hitting along that line, if there is not enough of the monster in the way after the first or second hit they do no further damage.

The optimal range for pellet shots is only about 1-2 rolls away from the monster. Just make sure you have the gun facing the monsters center for all the hits to land.

Yes there are status effect ammo's for bowguns, and you should be able to see every ammo type in your bowgun's equipment data.

Thanks, that clears up some stuff Yes by vort
Though my third question was less about if there were different effect shots and more asking which ones were useful.  Which status effect shots should I be using, and which ones should I be avoiding?
Back to top Go down
E&Troy
Seltas Queen
E&Troy

Thank you Points : 19

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use):

PostSubject: Re: Help a noob out? (Ammo Edition)   Help a noob out?  (Ammo Edition) Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 11:03 pm

Reaperfan wrote:
MasterOnion wrote:

Thanks, that clears up some stuff Yes by vort
Though my third question was less about if there were different effect shots and more asking which ones were useful.  Which status effect shots should I be using, and which ones should I be avoiding?

All of the elemental shots are good. You just have to use each one according to the monster's weakness. If you are fighting a Rathian, (weak to Dragon, then Thunder) You should try to bring a good gun that can hold one of those, or both. However, if you are fighting a Great Jaggi, (Weak to Fire, then I'm not sure what, because I've never needed to know, because it always dies incredibly fast) then try to find a gun that can hold fire ammo. Also, for better results, try to get a gun that can rapid fire them. Because this will make your shots last much longer, and making you do more damage. Allowing you to deal lots of damage for a longer period of time.

I'm assuming that you are using Light Bowguns however. If you are using Heavy Bowguns, then go for Bowguns with allot of raw damage and use Normal Lvl 3 and 2. As Normal can be a very powerful shot. If you use Heavy Bowguns, and use elemental shots, then I have no advice for you.
Back to top Go down
Tirith
Bnahabra
Tirith

Thank you Points : 3

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU

PostSubject: Re: Help a noob out? (Ammo Edition)   Help a noob out?  (Ammo Edition) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 12:32 am

if you want to use status effects as a bowgunner then the most effective status's are situational and depend on if you're solo/grouped and how well the group is at picking up on the monster going to sleep if you're grouped.

if your group sucks at figuring out the monster is going to sleep then use paralysis and don't bother sleeping, they can just take advantage of the free hits.

if they pick up on sleeping well and take advantage of the opportunity to bomb it or cut it's tail then sleeping is pretty useful as the first hit to a sleeping monster does 3X damage.

if you're solo sleeping isn't that great unless you plan to carry bombs with you to detonate on it's head or whatever when you sleep it.
and i don't bother with paralysis when solo, it feels to me as though it takes too long to swap ammo and reload after getting it paralyzed to make the time spent getting it paralyzed worth the trouble.

so generally, paralysis is never bad when grouped, sleep is situational depending on the group, and imo status isn't really worth the trouble when solo unless you wanna use bombs with sleep.
Back to top Go down
MasterOnion
MasterOnion

Thank you Points : 43

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri

PostSubject: Re: Help a noob out? (Ammo Edition)   Help a noob out?  (Ammo Edition) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 1:00 am

Oh, they're all useful. Poison does damage over time and has been buffed since tri. Paralysis lets you attack with impunity for a period of time. Sleep makes the monster immobile for a while which allows you to heal and take care of your weapons in addition to multiplying the damage of the next hit on the monster. Exhaust drains stamina from the monster making it tire faster and can do KO damage if it hits the monster's head. Recovery helps team members not die, and is fun for trolling people in a hunt as it can heal a monster too if you shoot it. Armor increases the defense of hit targets, and Demon increases offense.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help a noob out? (Ammo Edition)   Help a noob out?  (Ammo Edition) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help a noob out? (Ammo Edition)
Page 1 of 1