Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
My thoughts after time with the Demo Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
My thoughts after time with the Demo Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My thoughts after time with the Demo

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
MHWF
MHWikiForums
MHWF

Thank you Points : 31

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code: 4468-1021-0797
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): US

My thoughts after time with the Demo Empty
PostSubject: My thoughts after time with the Demo   My thoughts after time with the Demo Icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2018 11:40 pm

Well, here we are, quickly approaching the release of MH:World. My demo time was spent with the PS4 version.

I will start off saying that the graphics look great and it runs really well overall. The controls overall are the same familiar ones we had on the 3DS but with the added features from the new game to match the PS4 controller. Overall no real learning curve there.

So to the real issue. Tracker flies and voice acting. Right off these are the major things that stick out (I'll get to damage counter later". While voice acting isn't a big shock it seems out of place after all these years of reading quest requests. Having less to read will sit well with many, it's a standard in most games and often enjoyable. Though I'm not so sure it is done well. The quest girl in the demo was a bit annoying and I often wanted to just turn her off (something I don't say often ;)). In the end though it's something to easily move past.

A big problem I had was with the Tracker flies. No longer do you need to search for the monster, that to me was actually part of the satisfaction of the game. And following the tracking flies levels up tracking skills. This to me Dumbs down the game a bit and in a way seems a bit insulting. I might be stretching it a little but this addition seems to be added more for western audiences than anything. A way to relieve impatiens and make the whole hunting bit easier.

Which leads into the next issue that a lot of people have already mentioned. The damage display. Now, instead of guessing on the amount of damage you are dealing and looking for monster tells each time you hit the monster it shows the amount of damage you are dealing. To me this was added more for self gratification and peoples need to feel that they are accomplishing something. While yes, it does help people choose the "best" weapon it also takes away (again) some of the feelings of true accomplishment when you finally take the monster down.

Still it was Monster Hunter and I was still the game I love. So while there are elements I disagree with I can get over them. I look forward to spending thousands of hours on the game and meeting up with old allies to hunt together. In the end that is truly what Monster Hunter is about. Taking down the big beasties with friends as a team!

Let me know your thoughts and correct me if I got something wrong.
Back to top Go down
https://mhwiki.forumotion.net
Exzyro
Felyne
Exzyro

Thank you Points : 2

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts after time with the Demo   My thoughts after time with the Demo Icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2018 1:00 am

The graphics are beautiful and make the world seem so alive! Fighting that barroth was so amazing because it looked different (better) than tri, but has the same attacks for the most part. I feel like they've made things more realistic, like the mud the barroth flings turns into mud piles that you have to avoid. Neat little things like that.

I have to agree with the voice acting. I always thought the voices in MH were kinda weird, but I got used to grunts and "aahhh" from NPCs over the years. We'll have to wait until we hear more of the NPCs this time around, but I can say that I wasn't too fond of the handler girl either...

I like the tracker flies. They serve a dual purpose: no more paintballs, and they show you the closest gathering points on the map. In order to show you where the monster is, you've gotta level them up by finding monster tracks (which are actually left by the monsters as they pass through the area). So you've at least gotta know what to look for and where.

As far as the numbers, I touched on this on another thread, but I kinda like them. If they get too distracting I think I'll turn them off, but so far they've helped me place my shots since other feedback effects (blood, flashes, screen shakes) have been toned down.

Edit: for the voice acting, if you don't like it apparently you can select the good ol' Monster Hunter Language from the voice/language options.

Last edited by Exzyro on Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
MHWF
MHWikiForums
MHWF

Thank you Points : 31

3DS friends code: 4468-1021-0797

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts after time with the Demo   My thoughts after time with the Demo Icon_minitimeSun Jan 21, 2018 3:46 am

Just went back and did the XX demo on the switch, not sure but response time seemed a little bit better on the controls. Willing to bet though on the full World game there won't be any comparison.

Went in and messed around with my 4k settings on the tv and really made world look even better.
Back to top Go down
https://mhwiki.forumotion.net
Sephastus
Tigrex
Sephastus

Thank you Points : 32

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Generations
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts after time with the Demo   My thoughts after time with the Demo Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2018 12:58 pm

After trying the beta, I realized a few things:

I LOVE the training room. This was easily the best addition. Will the new slinger, and additional moves, having a place to do em all without distractions was a huge plus.

The graphics can almost bring a tear to a person's eyes. After the whole cartoony stretch, seeing the richness of the world was amazing. Caught a few birds, and lizards, and I will be happy to put them in my house upon release.

The invulnerability windows on the GS tackle is just soooo OP. Once you are able to read a monsters moves do the tackle, for some light damage, invulnerable for 1/4 second, and charge up to a bigger version of your charge attack... I was drooling when I saw that, and just wasted a Jaggras trying it out... poor thing felt like a Jaggie...

Camera Auto focus is great for gunners/bows, but not so much for melee. Being with a monster or under a monster, makes for some horrible camera breaks and turns.

The HH and hammer in this beta were a bit overpowered. Paralisys on the hammer, and sleep on the HH? Made the hunts all that easier.

Multiplayer sucked. Only hunt I did on multiplayer was for Nergigante. First hunt was a failure as people didn't know to dodge INTO the Nergigante when it does its Rajang style homing strike. Second hunt, with a new group, and we were able to beat it, but not before it wiped out the 3 other hunters in one blow. But now I know... progress up the ranks very quickly early on, and save on the headaches of unsuccessful hunts.

Guns, when properly used, are HUGE damage dealers. Or just little pea shooters. Using the Wyvernsniper as an opener is amazing. Specially because it comes back a few times during the fight. Cluster +downed monster = happy face. & Spread vs groups of monsters = giddiness.

On the meh side of things, though, is the slinger and the capes. Don't get me wrong, additions are always better than subtractions, but these 2 are going to see very little use from my part. Except maybe on very situational circumstances.

Overall, this is a very solid and sturdy MH game. I see much potential in it. Looking forward to spring too when we get to see the pickle make a return. ^_^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My thoughts after time with the Demo   My thoughts after time with the Demo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My thoughts after time with the Demo
Page 1 of 1