Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
"Online Pass" system - a load of crap. Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
"Online Pass" system - a load of crap. Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

"Online Pass" system - a load of crap.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Yamatsu
Admin
Yamatsu

Thank you Points : 96

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

"Online Pass" system - a load of crap. Empty
Post"Online Pass" system - a load of crap.

Not sure if much of you have been paying attention to this lately, but recently quite a few game developers have started having "online passes" implemented into games.
Basically, what it is is a code that comes with a new purchase of the game. Entering it in the game unlocks features such as multiplayer, etc. Devs have started to put this into games and Sony have even stated that they will be implementing it for all future first-party games released for their systems.

So pretty much unless you buy a game new, you have a fair bit of content locked out to you, which in my opinion is a bunch of crap.
Many people buy games pre-owned because they are often very expensive at launch (PS3, 360 games) and game retailers get most of their money from sale of pre-owned games. So putting in this pass system forces you to buy a pass if you want to have certain features in the game that should already be there if you buy a game pre-owned.

And who in the right mind wants to spend extra on a game they just bought to unlock default features?

Basically what this is doing is encouraging new sales of games, which means more money for devs and less for retailers. If every company started to do this, I can see alot of retailers going out of business. And nobody would like that. D:

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think that devs should continue to do this? Share them here, and please, don't stir up a flame war.
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

"Online Pass" system - a load of crap. :: Comments

Roik
Re: "Online Pass" system - a load of crap.
Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:27 pm by Roik
I think you might want to mention how much such a pass costs.
Pretty important detail.
Chagrilled
Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:34 pm by Chagrilled
wait.... they are restricting content already on the disk?

o_o

preowned games are usually bought cause people think the price of games at release is too high, or they cant afford it.

and of course people seem to forget....that the game has been bought once for it to be preowned, so the game makers arent losing out...

and what are you ment to do with a game you have finished, or dont want?
Godzilla2195
Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:37 pm by Godzilla2195
http://www.fsf.org/

Free software foundation. Supports free, open-source software and games. If you don't like idiotic systems like "online passes", then you can help us out.
Yamatsu
Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:40 pm by Yamatsu
Roik wrote:
Pretty important detail.
From what I've read, a pass for Sony games will cost around $10, and knowing big companies, it'll probably be around €10 and £10.
Chagrilled
Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:41 pm by Chagrilled
Yamatsu wrote:
Roik wrote:
Pretty important detail.
From what I've read, a pass for Sony games will cost around $10, and knowing big companies, it'll probably be around €10 and £10.
o.o they want to charge us moar for our games D:
Yamatsu
Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:42 pm by Yamatsu
Chagrilled wrote:
Yamatsu wrote:
Roik wrote:
Pretty important detail.
o.o they want to charge us moar for our games D:
Yup, just like that pesky Valve with Steam. :p
Florenz
Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:55 pm by Florenz
I don't like the idea of paying fo extra content. You can guess how much I like the idea of paying for restricted content on the disc... I think this is ridiculous...
Midnight Flame
Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:53 pm by Midnight Flame
So basically they've taken the idea of free DLC with a code on new games...and taken it up to 11. Wonderful.
Ares
Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:11 pm by Ares
What?! Its already hard enough for me to scrounge up some cash to buy my games, theres no need for additional charge, lets start a riot.

Mini Poll:

Riot or Petition

^^ joke
MetaMarx
Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:06 pm by MetaMarx
man this is ridiculous. I can already see many MANY people that will have a problem with this.
Ares
Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:24 pm by Ares
MetaMarx wrote:
man this is ridiculous. I can already see many MANY people that will have a problem with this.

definately, somebodies gettin there ass kickd on this one. Steel toe boots much?
Big Boss
Post Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:42 pm by Big Boss
I think its stupid enough that you have to pay to play games online. You bought the game, and the system, why should you have to pay to play something you already bought? This more crap! Developers are just trying to rip you off even more. If you buy it you should be entitled to everything the game has to offer, without paying extra cash. /mad/
dcj91x
Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:17 am by dcj91x
first... This is also the reason behind portable game developers making 3ds/psv games with 1 save unerasable files.

but lets think about this for a sec.

lets say you have 1,000 people who want a game,1/4th of them buy it. the other 3/4th wait until they can get it a few bucks cheaper used. Game developers could have profited more if the 3/4ths who got it used knew they couldn't have. now granted not the full 1000 would get the game if they couldn't get it cheaper but the developers would have still profited more than the 1/4th they did. allowing them to have higher budgets for future game developments or the ability to lower the overall price of a game.

Many studies and reports have shown [look it up if you like] that game developers [game companies ect.] do not profit beyond the original 1st time sell. Used sells lower the demand for additional copies of a game leading to less being ordered originally and the developers profiting less from each game.

lets also look at it like this. You make a game for just one region. to sell that game in another region it's going to cost quite a bit to change the language and market it and all. well already knowing that the overall orders for your game are going to be low due to less orders because of a high resale market you are going to be hesitant to develop for other regions.

Now on the otherhand if you knew there was no resale market and that anyone who wanted a copy of your game would buy a new copy raising the demand for the game and the overall numbers of original orders you are more likely to spend the time and money to develop your game for another region.

Basically what it comes down to [for you business majors] is the law of supply and demand. if the demand for a used game market is higher than the demand for new games then developers will lose money and will be restricted on how much they can afford to put into game development leading to more chepely made games so the loss of profit is not as high. Or they are forced to develop ways to protect their investments throuh, singlemsave files, pass features and drm's.

In the end however it's the gamer who sufferes from preowned game sales. We get cheaper poorly made games, single save and other restrictions.
Chagrilled
Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:51 am by Chagrilled
no one profits after the 1st sale of anything o_o and people don't wait for a few bucks, something like 10/20 off is what i end up waiting for.

if they want us to buy their games, it shouldn't be on a promise "oh we will make better games if you buy new" it should be that they offer a reason to buy new.

and used copies have been bought before....so....where's this money being lost....

Win32error
Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:20 am by Win32error
Ah this is BS. They're just trying to crush the second hand market. But since when is that normal? I don't disagree with online passes, in order to block piracy, but no shitting on resaling. Just make the damned passes transferable, and i'm fine with it.
1bighiccup
Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:42 am by 1bighiccup
*Looks pointedly at Amazon.co.uk/.com*
OH LOOK. NEW GAMES. WITH A TENNER OFF ALREADY!

Basically what dcj says is true. Games companies make ZERO profit on pre-owned game sales. So why should they support them? Something like this has been coming for a while. Just be glad the companies aren't moving to make pre owned games the equivalent of piracy.
Ares
Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:17 am by Ares
Althought they dont get money for second hand games, they do get money for those games when they were first purchased, and besides, thts just gonna anger people, start some shit, until some body throws the first rock, and it sure as hell wont be me, but ive got some rocks just incase some get pointed at me.

But seriously, what does it matter? they dont lose too much money, cuz when i get a pre-owned game, its usually because of A: Cheaper herpderp or B: its out dated and you cant find it new anymmore. Like a few months ago, when i bought tomb raider legend, there are no more new copies that are being sold, its just too old, they dont produce them anymore, its on a dead console too. Its just a way to hurt retailers the way i see it, i doubt they even care how much money they earn and how many fans theyll lose. Theyre making a mistake IMO.
Win32error
Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:27 am by Win32error
1bighiccup wrote:

Basically what dcj says is true. Games companies make ZERO profit on pre-owned game sales. So why should they support them? Something like this has been coming for a while. Just be glad the companies aren't moving to make pre owned games the equivalent of piracy.

Uhm, you can't make resale illegal. Once they've sold a copy to you, the copy is yours to do with what you want (but you can't make another copy of it). The only thing they could do is the steam kinda sale, where you can only download it, but that's not popular, as you buy the right to download the game for as long as valve keeps it up, not the game itself.

Oh and 10% off isn't that much. Waiting half a year will get you 50-60% off (depending on game reception), and thats what matters to those short on money.
Chagrilled
Post Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:19 pm by Chagrilled
1bighiccup wrote:

it's true, but pretty obvious, that SECONDHAND sales dont give money to the FIRST seller.

would like you to answer this: how is it zero profit when a game has been bought (money to game makers). then sold to the stores (money to the game owner). then sold to someone else (money to the game retailer).

the game makers have already made money from this sale once.

is it wrong cause someone who bought it might of bought it at full price if it was the only option? well if that was the case i would be buying no games cause i wouldn't be able to afford it :P, and i know many people who would do the same.

and whats wrong with supporting the game retailers? are they the devil or something ¬¬ they sell the games for the game makers.

this argument boils down to selfishness and money. from everyone :P

"Online Pass" system - a load of crap.

Page 1 of 1