Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Hunting Horn Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Hunting Horn Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hunting Horn

Go down 
+2
elchele
Takeshiren
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Takeshiren
Aptonoth
Takeshiren

Thank you Points : 0

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

Hunting Horn Empty
PostSubject: Hunting Horn   Hunting Horn Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 1:15 pm

Hey guys,

I'm by no means a new monster hunter player, but I have never used the hunting horn and because I've heard that it got buffed or seems more viable I wondered if anyone had any tips for me whilst using it?

I tried the bow and it must have took me 20 minutes to kill the G.Jaggi (this is with starter weps) and it took barely 5 with the Hunting Horn, so obviously I want to know more as it'll also help me and my brother when we do on-line stuff, so any help? Especially with the notes, anyone got a list or a good way of remembering what each one does? :D

Thanks

Daniel
Back to top Go down
elchele
Rhenoplos
elchele

Thank you Points : 2

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri

Hunting Horn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting Horn   Hunting Horn Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 1:59 pm

Ok i'll try to share my experience with the hunting horn.
1. It's an impact weapon so don't try to cut tails go for the head or the legs to make it go to the ground then the head to get ko.
2. Is has apparently more damage than the hammers but it is slower in the combos.
3. The notes you get you can see them on the description of the weapon so carefull with that becouse if you are used to a certain notes they may change after you upgrade or change horn.
4. This i read around here, even if you play a note you have a % of getting the effect. And apparently if you play the same note over and over you get even a better effect of it. For example if you played atack not you'll get small atack and if you keep playing it goes to atack large (someone please confirm this).

That's wath i know i like the weapon but i had to go with dual blades for my first run so i just know this by playing the demo and some on mhf on the psp.
Back to top Go down
Yuki
Rajang
Yuki

Thank you Points : 20

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3ds

Hunting Horn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting Horn   Hunting Horn Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 2:06 pm

Hunting horn is faster than hammer and that is sustained damage hammer burst damage like GS
Back to top Go down
haruno
Shagaru Magala
haruno

Thank you Points : 192

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title:

Hunting Horn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting Horn   Hunting Horn Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 2:07 pm

Hit it till it dies, don't get hit.
Back to top Go down
Takeshiren
Aptonoth
Takeshiren

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title:

Hunting Horn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting Horn   Hunting Horn Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 2:23 pm

elchele wrote:
Ok i'll try to share my experience with the hunting horn.
1. It's an impact weapon so don't try to cut tails go for the head or the legs to make it go to the ground then the head to get ko.
2. Is has apparently more damage than the hammers but it is slower in the combos.
3. The notes you get you can see them on the description of the weapon so carefull with that becouse if you are used to a certain notes they may change after you upgrade or change horn.
4. This i read around here, even if you play a note you have a % of getting the effect. And apparently if you play the same note over and over you get even a better effect of it. For example if you played atack not you'll get small atack and if you keep playing it goes to atack large (someone please confirm this).

That's wath i know i like the weapon but i had to go with dual blades for my first run so i just know this by playing the demo and some on mhf on the psp.
Cheers for the help, appreciate all the help, just spent about 1 hour and I didn't get any extra buffs from playing the same, but I may just be unlucky!
Back to top Go down
elchele
Rhenoplos
elchele

Thank you Points : 2

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri

Hunting Horn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting Horn   Hunting Horn Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 2:28 pm

Well i don't really know but it may be related to the rarity of the weapon.
Glad i could help.
Back to top Go down
Sephastus
Tigrex
Sephastus

Thank you Points : 32

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Generations
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

Hunting Horn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting Horn   Hunting Horn Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 2:53 pm

Welcome to the recital world.

The hunting horn when in a group should be used for the overall benefit of the group at hand, and you should skill approprietely. The Maestro skill is a must, since it doubles the duration of your buffs. The KO and stamina drain skills are also good.

Look at the Hunting Horn description, and each of them states what combination of keys does what song.

One key: All hunting horn attacks have 2 strikes, including the recital mode (R Button). X does an overhead smash, followed by a side hit, B does a side hit, followed by a quick tab, and X+B does a 2 hit combo, and then a pull back attack.

When you have a valid song, you can then press the Recital Button (R) to start recital, which will do a hit depending on what position you were in. For example, if you Press R after doing an overhead smash (X button), you kick the HH to start recital right away. After the first recital, you can press R again to do the same song one more time. However, At that point you can either press it alone for a 3 Hit combo, or you can press left or right to do a 2 hit side combo, which is good if you are in the middle of a battle, and want to end up away from the charging monster, or want to move towards it for a hit. The second song will almost always add to the current song, with the exception of status preventions, like Mud/Snow elimination, or Tremor elimination, since... you can't go lower then none.

To use the HH solo, focus mainly on the X+B combo to the feet, body. It will very quickly drain the monster's stamina, and he will stay still longer for some combos to the head. The X+B combo is the highest damage hit of the HH. Do not chain this hit into anything else... not even another X+B, as this will reduce your overall damage. Just roll out of the hit, and do another X+B. Positioning is very key when doing the HH solo, since you do not want to roll into a monsters' attack area. Hover around it's flanks and go for the head whenever it falls. Do not worry about targetting the breakable parts since the X+B has a huge area the it affects, and it will always strike the breakables first before the other areas. (This is a problem with Quorepo, since you will find you will almost always be hitting it's hard flints, instead of the head/feet)

When in a group, focus as much as you can in keeping the buffs up, and when the songs are already there (mainly, Attack Up, or status preventions), go for the head. A knocked out monster is cake for a party to kill. Your hits will naturally exhaust the monster, so you do not have to try to get some body shots in for an exhaust. The overhead and side hits have more KO power than your X+B combo, not to mention the X+B combo will send your partners flying, and will have you appologising the whole fight. Stick with the overhead and side hits, and only if necesery for some additional dps should you do the X+B combo.

Starting out, stick with the bagpipe chain of hunting horns, since it gives Attack, Defense, Max Health up (which also heals the health it increases), and wind resistance. If your group is having problems staying at decent health due to a fast, low attack monster, then go with the Qurepo line. There are many other situational type HH, but they can be outdone with a HH that increases the groups overall damage.

A nice little trick about the hunting horn is: quick recovery after a bounce off. If you just want to KO a monster, or apply status or slime, then let your sharpness drop a little, and just keep pressing your attacks on the head or body. If, on the other hand, you want to always strike, the HH has a self buff that gives you ESP. The second time you do the White + White, or Purple + Purple song, you will get the ability to never bounce off on any attack. So it is your choice and playstyle.

Hope this was helpful, and if you have any questions, I will be happy to point you where the answer might be.
Back to top Go down
hedgehogaj
Popo
hedgehogaj

Thank you Points : 6

Hunting Horn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting Horn   Hunting Horn Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 1:44 pm

A few more tips from my limited experience.

1. Unlike the Hammer, the HH actually hits often enough that status ailments are useful. Using the bug horn, I've managed to keep things stunned/koed for about 20 seconds straight at points.

2. The Sonic Waves song functions like a sonic bomb.

3. Any type of healing has a good chance to drop 1 level when you play it, and the more you use the horn to heal the higher the chance of it lowering is.

4. Maestro gems are fairly easy to make, so don't worry too much about getting armor with it built in. Anything with 5 slots will do.

5. If you have to choose, take Stam drain over KO. Exhausted monsters almost always leave their heads exposed long enough to make up the difference.
Back to top Go down
Takeshiren
Aptonoth
Takeshiren

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title:

Hunting Horn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting Horn   Hunting Horn Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 3:43 pm

Sephastus wrote:
Welcome to the recital world.

The hunting horn when in a group should be used for the overall benefit of the group at hand, and you should skill approprietely. The Maestro skill is a must, since it doubles the duration of your buffs. The KO and stamina drain skills are also good.

Look at the Hunting Horn description, and each of them states what combination of keys does what song.

One key: All hunting horn attacks have 2 strikes, including the recital mode (R Button). X does an overhead smash, followed by a side hit, B does a side hit, followed by a quick tab, and X+B does a 2 hit combo, and then a pull back attack.

When you have a valid song, you can then press the Recital Button (R) to start recital, which will do a hit depending on what position you were in. For example, if you Press R after doing an overhead smash (X button), you kick the HH to start recital right away. After the first recital, you can press R again to do the same song one more time. However, At that point you can either press it alone for a 3 Hit combo, or you can press left or right to do a 2 hit side combo, which is good if you are in the middle of a battle, and want to end up away from the charging monster, or want to move towards it for a hit. The second song will almost always add to the current song, with the exception of status preventions, like Mud/Snow elimination, or Tremor elimination, since... you can't go lower then none.

To use the HH solo, focus mainly on the X+B combo to the feet, body. It will very quickly drain the monster's stamina, and he will stay still longer for some combos to the head. The X+B combo is the highest damage hit of the HH. Do not chain this hit into anything else... not even another X+B, as this will reduce your overall damage. Just roll out of the hit, and do another X+B. Positioning is very key when doing the HH solo, since you do not want to roll into a monsters' attack area. Hover around it's flanks and go for the head whenever it falls. Do not worry about targetting the breakable parts since the X+B has a huge area the it affects, and it will always strike the breakables first before the other areas. (This is a problem with Quorepo, since you will find you will almost always be hitting it's hard flints, instead of the head/feet)

When in a group, focus as much as you can in keeping the buffs up, and when the songs are already there (mainly, Attack Up, or status preventions), go for the head. A knocked out monster is cake for a party to kill. Your hits will naturally exhaust the monster, so you do not have to try to get some body shots in for an exhaust. The overhead and side hits have more KO power than your X+B combo, not to mention the X+B combo will send your partners flying, and will have you appologising the whole fight. Stick with the overhead and side hits, and only if necesery for some additional dps should you do the X+B combo.

Starting out, stick with the bagpipe chain of hunting horns, since it gives Attack, Defense, Max Health up (which also heals the health it increases), and wind resistance. If your group is having problems staying at decent health due to a fast, low attack monster, then go with the Qurepo line. There are many other situational type HH, but they can be outdone with a HH that increases the groups overall damage.

A nice little trick about the hunting horn is: quick recovery after a bounce off. If you just want to KO a monster, or apply status or slime, then let your sharpness drop a little, and just keep pressing your attacks on the head or body. If, on the other hand, you want to always strike, the HH has a self buff that gives you ESP. The second time you do the White + White, or Purple + Purple song, you will get the ability to never bounce off on any attack. So it is your choice and playstyle.

Hope this was helpful, and if you have any questions, I will be happy to point you where the answer might be.
Wow jesus christ!

Thanks for all this information, I'm going to try it again after reading this, not going to lie I did go back to my hammer for Peco, Royal and Barroth, but reading this, the HH seems to be better overall!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hunting Horn Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hunting Horn   Hunting Horn Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hunting Horn
Page 1 of 1