Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Which weapon should I go with? Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Which weapon should I go with? Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Which weapon should I go with?

Go down 
+3
Crystalis
Sephastus
gamer2075
7 posters
AuthorMessage
gamer2075
Kelbi

Thank you Points : 0

Which weapon should I go with? Empty
PostSubject: Which weapon should I go with?   Which weapon should I go with? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 4:08 pm

I have 3 weapons to choose from and i would like to know more about these weapons.

Switch axc: able to move faster, powerful weapon
Long sword: powerful, long reach, easy combos
Dual blades: easy to hit small monsters, move faster

If you can tell me what play styler to go with this and what weapon would be good to use.
Back to top Go down
Sephastus
Tigrex
Sephastus

Thank you Points : 32

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Generations
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Which weapon should I go with?   Which weapon should I go with? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 4:25 pm

Welcome to Monster Hunter!

Before we can give any suggestions, how about we learn more about what playstyles you like, and if you are going to be grouping or soloing.

Here are some preliminary suggestions:

None of the weapons you have mentioned have any type of defensive maneuvers, except for the regular dodging. So, you are going to have to learn the big monsters moves fast, or die trying. In order to learn a monsters moveset, the first time you encounter one, just try to walk around as close as possible to it, without your weapon out, and avoid getting hit. You will notice some patterns, and will eventually be able to walk around with your weapon out, to maximize your damage. You will also learn when you HAVE to put your weapon away and dive out of the way (For example, when a Rathalos flies into the air, he WILL do a non-dodgeable homing strike that you can only dive away from.)

Some information about the weapons you have mentioned:

Switch-Axe. Has 2 mode: An Axe mode, and a GS mode. Axe mode is just about the most annoying and least damaging weapon, if all you want to do is the figure 8 move. Trust us, almost any other move will do more damage than that, not to mention the figure 8 will interrupt all other close range hunters in your group. So, learn the big hits of the Axe, and learn how to do the full discharge of your sword mode... when paired with a switchaxe that has paralisys or sleep, you can be the hero of your group. Remember to refill your philes often, if you are going to do sword mode.

Long Sword: One of the best weapons to start out with all around. Easy to start, but hard to master all of its moves. Once you learn how to increase its spirit gauge, you will have a very high-damage, high mobility weapon. I will let the others comment more on this weapon.

Dual Blades: Dual blades are not about doing a lot of damage in 1 hit, but doing multiple hits that add up to much damage. As such, dual blades are best when they have a lot of elemental or status effects, vs raw. With that said, they will loose sharpness very quickly, and sharpening will take you out of the action for a lot of time. Either you will have to switch zones to sharpen, or will have to hope your friends can keep the monster busy enough for in battle sharpening (not recommended for new players).

So pending your comments, I would suggest you try to get good with the long sword, and if possible, get evasion +1 or higher, since you will not have any type of defensive moves (since it is a purely offensive weapon).
Back to top Go down
Crystalis
Najarala
Crystalis

Thank you Points : 26

3DS friends code: 3909-8402-8213
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Which weapon should I go with?   Which weapon should I go with? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2015 5:41 pm

I'm a dedicated Longsword main (although I'm learning Bow just to branch out a little and give me an excuse to work on a second save file), so I could help a bit here.

Longsword is honestly like chess or go, simple to learn, hard to optimize to the maximum potential. It's a fairly quick weapon with a decent reach, and excellent mobility that you have to learn first and get used to through just getting a good amount of experience using it. It can also be powered up, fighting solely at its base level has one of the worst damage outputs in the game.

If you know a lot about the monsters you're fighting, you can essentially be attacking the monsters nonstop, all the while moving about thanks to your high built-in mobility and dodging a lot of the incoming attacks just thanks to positioning. It's like a work of art, dancing around the battlefield like that. That's the kind of style a high-level longsword play ends up as. If that's your kind of thing, then go for it, but I can't speak for the other two weapons.

I wrote out a more detailed longsword guide if you're really interested, but if you want to wait for other input, don't bother yourself with this massive wall of text.

High Detail LS Guide:
Back to top Go down
InstaCakes
Kecha Wacha
InstaCakes

Thank you Points : 2

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Spain

PostSubject: Re: Which weapon should I go with?   Which weapon should I go with? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 7:36 am

My advice? Get the MH4U demo, and try all the weapon types to your heart's content. I'm serious.

Play on Experienced, because you barely take damage on Beginner. For the first run or two, take on the Great Jaggi, with the weapon tutorial enabled. Before rushing off to fight it, though, try slashing at the air a few times, maybe attack the Aptonoths in Area 1 to get a feel for the weapon. Once you have an idea of how to fight with it, go get dat Jaggi.
Once you've killed Great Jaggi, move up to Tetsucabra, who is an actual threat and WILL send you back to base camp if you approach it in a purely hack-and-slash manner. Remember, there's no shame in sheathing your weapon! Sometimes, you're gonna need to panic-dive or chug a potion/ration/some jerky/whatever.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/InstaCakes
Phazon Xenomorph
Admin
Phazon Xenomorph

Thank you Points : 97

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use):

PostSubject: Re: Which weapon should I go with?   Which weapon should I go with? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2015 6:48 pm

There is no ultimate weapon or playstyle. The best thing to do is try every weapon out for yourself and see what fits you. Every weapon type is capable of killing every monster in the game, just differences in attack motions, spots you can hit, etc... so try them all and see what works best.
Back to top Go down
th8827
Cephalos
th8827

Thank you Points : 2

3DS friends code: 0533-4039-4608
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Generations
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): United States

PostSubject: Re: Which weapon should I go with?   Which weapon should I go with? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 1:30 am

The ultimate weapon is whatever you like to hunt with. You will do best if you enjoy the playstyle and are comfortable with the movess, not what some random person on the internet says is the best.
Back to top Go down
X Kitsune X
Bnahabra
X Kitsune X

Thank you Points : 8

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Which weapon should I go with?   Which weapon should I go with? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2015 7:31 am

Welcome to the forums, and to the world of Monster Hunter :D

First off, I'd recommend trying everything and seeing what one fits your playstyle best - InstaCakes made a really good point about using the demo to test things out before jumping in to the main game.

The Sword and Shield is one of my favourite weapons in the game and is often recommended for new players due to it's fast combos, ease of movement, and the block being a nice save in dire situations. However, when I first started playing, I really struggled with the game until I picked up the Hammer, oddly enough!

Everyone's playstyle is different, and you'll probably find that your playstyle changes as you gain experience with the game and the monsters. Try all the weapons now, but don't just stick to one - in a few months, try the other weapons again and see how you feel - you might end up loving a weapon you previously hated once you get used to the way a monster behaves Yes by vort
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which weapon should I go with?   Which weapon should I go with? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which weapon should I go with?
Page 1 of 1