Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime? Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime? Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime?

Go down 
+4
parasky
DualFace
MGRaiden97
rubinek
8 posters
AuthorMessage
rubinek
Popo
rubinek

Thank you Points : 3

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime?   Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 8:22 pm

I got the original Monster Hunter for Christmas 2005. Even though I sucked at it (being just 13 years old and stuff x.x), it was (and still is) among my top 5 PS2 titles of all time. But it seems like the game wasn't popular in the West at all. I mean, before the rumours about the game that single-handedly made Japanese players buy PSP start coming out, barely anyone knew what the heck Monster Hunter was. I remember going to some gaming site to check out the reviews for this game, and it got a freaking 5/10! Then when it was ported to PSP, the editors were all 8 and 9. Another reason you shouldn't trust the reviews I guess.

But anyway, did you play the original Monster Hunter when it just came out, or not too long after? What were your thoughts about the game at the time, and did anything change? Discuss.
Back to top Go down
MGRaiden97
Cephalos
MGRaiden97

Thank you Points : 6

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): US

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime?   Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 2:37 pm

monster hunter 1 got bad reviews simply because it was only good online. Offline didn't have much to offer compared to online. Also since they reviewed from the beginning of the game, i could imagine how boring it was, and how hard. Most monster hunters are boring in the beginning.

But the following monster hunters had much more put into it, items, monsters ect. Those were things that made it a lot better. Same with monster hunter 3, they made it better to play offline cause you could do more and get items besides just going on quests. But in my opinion, monster hunter 1 was the best, id love to see the old online town again.

Can't say anything about the ones not released in america since they weren't rated.
Back to top Go down
rubinek
Popo
rubinek

Thank you Points : 3

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime?   Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 10:05 am

You're probably right about the reviews. Most unknown/unpopular games get this treatment, with reviewer basing his opinion on first 3 or 4 quests.

I agree that first MH gameplay was a bit limited compared to later instalments, but the real meat of the game - hunting huge-ass monsters and making equipment out of them - was still there. I admit I'd never played MH1 online, but I still think offline has a lot to offer, and it is a really fun experience to this day.

Good thing the series took off after the PSP ports came out. I thought the series was done for when I found out that Monster Hunter Dos was never going to be released outside of Japan.
Back to top Go down
DualFace
Aptonoth
DualFace

Thank you Points : 4

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime?   Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 5:50 am

rubinek wrote:

But anyway, did you play the original Monster Hunter when it just came out, or not too long after? What were your thoughts about the game at the time, and did anything change? Discuss.

I played the original MH nearly every day alongside MGO/PS2. I'm still playing MH/PS2 right now in fact.

The reason I'm still playing it is because awhile back I wanted to see what MH would look like when we bought our first PS3, so I moved my save files over to the machine (not realizing that they were being transferred and not copied) and when I was done with that and deleted them off the PS3, went back to play it on my PS2 and saw that there was no MH data on my cards.

It was deleted.

I raged for about an hour straight. My g/f even got scared. Everything was just...gone. All my hunter ranks (18-19), all my online items, weapons, and armor. I was livid.

So now I'm wanting all that stuff back and since it's not online anymore I have no qualms about using devices like GameShark, GameGenie, ect to start playing those online quests again to my ish back. -_-
Back to top Go down
MGRaiden97
Cephalos
MGRaiden97

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime?   Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 1:53 pm

DualFace wrote:
rubinek wrote:

I played the original MH nearly every day alongside MGO/PS2. I'm still playing MH/PS2 right now in fact.

The reason I'm still playing it is because awhile back I wanted to see what MH would look like when we bought our first PS3, so I moved my save files over to the machine (not realizing that they were being transferred and not copied) and when I was done with that and deleted them off the PS3, went back to play it on my PS2 and saw that there was no MH data on my cards.

It was deleted.

I raged for about an hour straight. My g/f even got scared. Everything was just...gone. All my hunter ranks (18-19), all my online items, weapons, and armor. I was livid.

So now I'm wanting all that stuff back and since it's not online anymore I have no qualms about using devices like GameShark, GameGenie, ect to start playing those online quests again to my ish back. -_-
I feel your pain. I let my friend borrow my ps2 since he has the newer ps3's (no backwards compatability) and he deleted my MH save for more space. I was pissed. All that damn hard work online. I still remember when i stayed up till 7am killing tons of fatalis'

Memories: gone
Back to top Go down
parasky
Jaggi
parasky

Thank you Points : 0

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime?   Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2012 2:24 pm

I have only recently picked up Monster Hunter Freedom (read: 1 week ago) , so I'm years past from playing in it's prime.

Then again, I have never played a MH game in it's prime yet, although 3U will change this.

I still feel it's necessary to play at least a little bit of Freedom every week to remind me how far the series has gone since 2005.
Back to top Go down
http://parasky.tumblr.com/
PAiN---
Rathian
PAiN---

Thank you Points : 9

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): United States

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime?   Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2013 6:00 pm

Yes! Thank you for posting this. The ORIGINAL Monster Hunter was a amazing game. I remember my friend and I talking about video games and he mentioned a game coming out. Then when we got it we had to kill huge dragons and then use their parts to create armor and weapons that you needed to kill another dragon so you make that monsters armor to help you kill the next monster for its weapon but then you had to go back to the FIRST one you killed to farm a single part from that dragon and so on and so on nfsdjnsdf!!! The game became one of my favorites instantly. I love meeting fellow vets that played the first MH. Never forget the Zu Klux Klan, full Khezu armor, all day hahah Yes by vort
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/757PAiN?feature=watch
Deridor
Yian Kut-Ku
Deridor

Thank you Points : 10

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime?   Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 5:45 pm

I was very late to the game... I found monster hunter while looking for a hunting game (like cabella's). I've never regretted it! I've heard it was rather strange to see it in stores, but I found it on a shelf at gamestop.

I think freedom 2 was out by the time I got the first game...
Back to top Go down
Vansair
Kelbi
Vansair

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime?   Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime? Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 12:22 pm

def got the chance top enjoy MH in the hay day back on ps2. did everything in the game had fat armor and weps. Without it i dont think i would be as much into online rpgs as much lol.
Back to top Go down
MGRaiden97
Cephalos
MGRaiden97

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime?   Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 10:20 pm

PAiN--- wrote:
Yes! Thank you for posting this. The ORIGINAL Monster Hunter was a amazing game. I remember my friend and I talking about video games and he mentioned a game coming out. Then when we got it we had to kill huge dragons and then use their parts to create armor and weapons that you needed to kill another dragon so you make that monsters armor to help you kill the next monster for its weapon but then you had to go back to the FIRST one you killed to farm a single part from that dragon and so on and so on nfsdjnsdf!!! The game became one of my favorites instantly. I love meeting fellow vets that played the first MH. Never forget the Zu Klux Klan, full Khezu armor, all day hahah Yes by vort

Yeah i always love talking to people who played MH1 online, its fun to talk about the great memories on there. What i will never forget? Headlocking. So fun, yet so cheap, but hey, who has time for Wyverns of Land and Sky over 50 times for one plate?

Khezu armor+ imo was just awesome, but had no sense to it. Anti cold and Anti heat. Never understood that

Oh, and i bet everyone remembered Claw day ;)
Back to top Go down
Jack Frost
Kelbi

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3ds
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): United States

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime?   Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime? Icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2013 11:00 pm

I too have played the original Monster Hunter. I had Over 800 hours of offline play. that game was so amazing it was such a shame when our house burned down and that came and my ps2 memory card melted inside the ps2 it was the worst day of my life i am still trying to buy it again on ebay but i keep loosing the bids last second, but oh well it was the most amazing 800 hours i have ever spent on any game, i cannot wait untill Monster Hunter Online comes out my wife will probably want to divorce me because i am in love with it already and i have only seen 2 videos on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime?   Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone played this game when it was in it's prime?
Page 1 of 1