Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Is Status Lancing Viable? Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Is Status Lancing Viable? Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Is Status Lancing Viable?

Go down 
+8
Ataraxia
Yuki
Andrea88GOD
It's meh
dcj91x
Andrew.
Vivi
Crystalis
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Crystalis
Najarala
Crystalis

Thank you Points : 26

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code: 3909-8402-8213
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

Is Status Lancing Viable? Empty
PostSubject: Is Status Lancing Viable?   Is Status Lancing Viable? Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 3:54 pm

^

I have a set of Gigginox Armor, as well as almost completed lances of all 3 status types. Gigginox armor gives Constitution +2 and Status Atk Up, so I was considering it. Question is: should I use them online? Or stick with high dps elemental stuff? I have a Rathalos set I use for my non-status weapons.
Back to top Go down
Vivi
Najarala
Vivi

Thank you Points : 46

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): My connectivity is fine, thank you.

PostSubject: Re: Is Status Lancing Viable?   Is Status Lancing Viable? Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 4:10 pm

It could be if there wasnt a gunner in the city, as gunners typically do status alot better than a blade user.
Gigginox is an okay set for lancing, but without guard or evasion, its not great. Seeing as Bnahabra is better than gigginox due to its razor sharp and status weps typically having low sharpness levels.
http://divinewh.im/s/0_-3.l_1f.O_1Y.O.O_16.O_15.O_W.Q
This is a lower version of a set I use, it is possible to get guard +2 but it needs chakra and a 3 slot tali to get.

Last edited by Sapphire on Mon May 07, 2012 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://mhwiki.forumotion.net/u2509
Andrew.
Seltas Queen
Andrew.

Thank you Points : 11

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Tri
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Is Status Lancing Viable?   Is Status Lancing Viable? Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 4:11 pm

You can use whatever you want online, It's your choice.

A status up set with a status lance is a perfectly viable option if you have a suitable set and weapon for it, but I'd recommend bhahabra over nox for the razor sharp on it.
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis
dcj91x

Thank you Points : 284

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): US

PostSubject: Re: Is Status Lancing Viable?   Is Status Lancing Viable? Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 5:42 pm

I wont go back over it since others have already given you a better armor option what I will tell you however is this. Status lancing can be very effective when done correctly, you just have to know how to do it and not get in the way of others if playing online.

The "Chase Down" technique always worked well for me and got in a lot of status hits. Basically when a monster is fleeing you just charge at then and lining yourself up just right you can get lots of hits in very quickly and add the status on quickly as well. Yes the over all straight damage will be a bit down but it is very effective.
Back to top Go down
It's meh
Seregios
It's meh

Thank you Points : 60

PostSubject: Re: Is Status Lancing Viable?   Is Status Lancing Viable? Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 6:49 pm

Sure, it's ok when there isn't a status gunner around.
It'll manage to get some damage in. :D
Back to top Go down
Andrea88GOD
Kecha Wacha

Thank you Points : 35

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Is Status Lancing Viable?   Is Status Lancing Viable? Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 5:11 am

if you gem evasion+2 in it you'll be fine ;)
Back to top Go down
Yuki
Rajang
Yuki

Thank you Points : 20

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3ds

PostSubject: Re: Is Status Lancing Viable?   Is Status Lancing Viable? Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 7:36 am

Here is an old set of mine I hope you like it. It was a fun set when I still had yuki was great for Deviljho too I saw it on someone and I had to duplicate it I used guard+7 but still works with a anything down to 4 I left the three slots free not including the weapon

Here it is http://divinewh.im/s/0_1u_1f.P_1Y_16.k_15.k_z.S.1C hope you like it
Back to top Go down
Ataraxia
Rajang
Ataraxia

Thank you Points : 33

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): England

PostSubject: Re: Is Status Lancing Viable?   Is Status Lancing Viable? Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 12:26 pm

I guess Vort/Haruno are AFK/banned. They would've jumped this thread so hard and so fast you would have thought it to be Bill Gates with a 'kick me' slapped on his back.

... Snes no maek.

ANYWAY, if you want to live up to your damage potential as a lancer then no, not really. There are other melee weapons that do status better and the bowgun outdoes even those. However, for shits 'n' giggles, or just 'cause, yeah it's perfectly viable, definitely fun since it's a break from the norm.

Don't be surprised if you get a 'pro' telling you to switch lance though.
Back to top Go down
Andrea88GOD
Kecha Wacha

Thank you Points : 35

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Is Status Lancing Viable?   Is Status Lancing Viable? Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 12:49 pm

Ataraxia wrote:
I guess Vort/Haruno are AFK/banned. They would've jumped this thread so hard and so fast you would have thought it to be Bill Gates with a 'kick me' slapped on his back.

... Snes no maek.

ANYWAY, if you want to live up to your damage potential as a lancer then no, not really. There are other melee weapons that do status better and the bowgun outdoes even those. However, for shits 'n' giggles, or just 'cause, yeah it's perfectly viable, definitely fun since it's a break from the norm.

Don't be surprised if you get a 'pro' telling you to switch lance though.

well, the question is if it's viable, not if it's the best way to lance, so probably both Vort and Haruno wouldn't jumped this thread all that hard. ;)
Back to top Go down
Crystalis
Najarala
Crystalis

Thank you Points : 26

3DS friends code: 3909-8402-8213
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Is Status Lancing Viable?   Is Status Lancing Viable? Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 12:52 pm

I NO MAIN LANCE I USE MY KATANA WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Thanks everyone. I think I'll make Yuki's set just for screwing around (Although I'd have to get lucky with a Tali). Usually for serious hunting I'd be using Longsword anyway. Nothin more fun than spamming lance charge at limping monsters to put them to sleep, huh? *Blows up the monster's face*

As for the armor set itself I'd probably use the three slots plus Great Azure's slots for the Capture Guru skill.
Back to top Go down
MidnightManiac
Felyne
MidnightManiac

Thank you Points : 4

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Is Status Lancing Viable?   Is Status Lancing Viable? Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 10:56 am

Totally. Just use whatever you want and have fun!
Back to top Go down
Kanade
Seregios
Kanade

Thank you Points : 174

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Generations

PostSubject: Re: Is Status Lancing Viable?   Is Status Lancing Viable? Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 2:34 pm

someone told me if you use poison you wont be able to break parts off monsters, but i tested using toxic javelin that all parts indeed are breakable...

this was in 4 person groups in 6~10 minute quest times, Rathalos, Barioth, Lagia, Uragaan, Deviljho all breakables broken! i believe this will hold true to all other monsters as well

Back to top Go down
https://xmaskanade.tumblr.com
It's meh
Seregios
It's meh

PostSubject: Re: Is Status Lancing Viable?   Is Status Lancing Viable? Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 5:14 pm

Kanade wrote:
someone told me if you use poison you wont be able to break parts off monsters, but i tested using toxic javelin that all parts indeed are breakable...

That person should slap him/herself.....
Back to top Go down
TiroDvD
Popo
TiroDvD

Thank you Points : 17

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Is Status Lancing Viable?   Is Status Lancing Viable? Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 5:29 pm

It's meh wrote:
Kanade wrote:
Some clarity since this was brought up "recently". This is probably horribly wrong but the gist is like this: Say there is a monster with 100 HP. You can cut off it's tail with 20 HP. When you poison it, it gets 20 HP. So if you poison the monster you have 80 HP to cut the tail before it accidentally killing it, as opposed to have 100 HP to cut the tail off if you didn't poison it. Someone can probably crunch the numbers. It's probably not a huge difference, but with a tricky monster like Ura where you have to break the tail then cut it, OR Lagi & Agnator that have lots of breakable spots you may start to care.
Back to top Go down
It's meh
Seregios
It's meh

PostSubject: Re: Is Status Lancing Viable?   Is Status Lancing Viable? Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 8:10 pm

TiroDvD wrote:
It's meh wrote:
Kanade wrote:
Some clarity since this was brought up "recently". This is probably horribly wrong but the gist is like this: Say there is a monster with 100 HP. You can cut off it's tail with 20 HP. When you poison it, it gets 20 HP. So if you poison the monster you have 80 HP to cut the tail before it accidentally killing it, as opposed to have 100 HP to cut the tail off if you didn't poison it. Someone can probably crunch the numbers. It's probably not a huge difference, but with a tricky monster like Ura where you have to break the tail then cut it, OR Lagi & Agnator that have lots of breakable spots you may start to care.
Well, element does more than poison and doesn't count for tail cuts...

But I get what you're saying though.
Poison decreases a monsters HP but won't add up to break damage.
Lower the HP low enough to 1 HP while a specific spot needs 2 hits to break and you won't be able to break it.

However, when I quoted, I suspected the person was saying that poison completely negated breaking.
Back to top Go down
bill_the_noob
Bnahabra
bill_the_noob

Thank you Points : 17

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): France

PostSubject: Re: Is Status Lancing Viable?   Is Status Lancing Viable? Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 5:56 am

status lancing is under-rated; i've done stupid full party status-lancing (poison, para & sleep) jho / blos whatever runs for fun, they all ended really fast
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Status Lancing Viable?   Is Status Lancing Viable? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is Status Lancing Viable?
Page 1 of 1