Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Questions regarding the Wii U  Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Questions regarding the Wii U  Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Questions regarding the Wii U

Go down 
+3
dcj91x
Kanade
Volke
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Volke
Aptonoth
Volke

Thank you Points : 0

Questions regarding the Wii U  Empty
PostSubject: Questions regarding the Wii U    Questions regarding the Wii U  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 4:23 pm

First, I'd like to say that I purchacsed a Wii U solely to play Monster Hunter. I own a 3DS, but I want to sit on the couch and play this game =D

I'm new to the MH series as well, and that's what makes this sort of fun.

Now, my questions:

I just got a Wii U, 8 GB. I know I'm going to need more memory down the line (even more than the 32gb offered as well), but I cannot decide between a flash drive or HDD. In an ideal world, I'd purchase a 120gb external HD for $45 and be on my way. I feel that is more than enough for what I do.

This is what I've heard:

- If I get a flash drive (I'm thinking a 64gb USB 2.0), can I download games to it from the eShop? Do I need anything else to make this work with the Wii U, or do I just plug it into the system and let it format the device? I would like the option to download games and demos to my external memory.

- If I get an external HD, does it need to be plugged into the back of the wall?

- Can anyone recommend a popular external HD for the Wii U?

I've built computers before, so I understand the lingo. Please let me know. I'm sure there are others in the community who have these same questions and are purchasing a Wii U just for this game as I have (well, this game and Metroid whenever that comes out). =)

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Kanade
Seregios
Kanade

Thank you Points : 174

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Generations
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding the Wii U    Questions regarding the Wii U  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 4:31 pm

flash drives got limited rewrites so its not that reliable if your saving stuff you buy on it

nintendo recommends u get an HDD with its own power supply because some devices require more power than what the wii u usbs can give

since you build computers before, just search for one with good reviews, maybe a seagate or WD (tho i did have some issues with a WD elements 2TB but i fixed it...)

source: https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/system_external_storage.jsp?menu=general_info&submenu=wup-external-usb-storage
Back to top Go down
https://xmaskanade.tumblr.com
dcj91x
Fatalis
dcj91x

Thank you Points : 284

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): US

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding the Wii U    Questions regarding the Wii U  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 4:34 pm

first.. It is not recomended to use a USB drive as an external memery source for game data and other information on the WiiU. USB drives can be a bit unreliable and it is also in the WiiU's manual not to use them.

2nd. And external Hard drive with it's own (plug in power source) is your best bet even over a y cable as they are more reliable and only take up one USB slot.

3rd. You can find 2TB external drives for pretty good prices. (I found mine at Target for $59.99, also 2TB is currently the max you can use on the WiiU.)

4th. if you decide to download games from the eshop or other dlc smaller amounts of memory may fill up quite quickly. I know the 16gb on my 3DS is already full. This included classic games, new games and pictures of course though but a lot of the WiiU demos are quite big.

Now to keep this MH3U related since that's where you put this topic. Though most of the MH3U data (DLC) is on the disk, the updates are not nore are the WiiU updates. You will need the larger hard drive for that and to make sure it always runs smoothly and transfers the best you want one with the external power and as larg as you can afford. You mentioned $45 for 120gb already.. why not go for 2TB for $59.99 if you just look around a bit?

Also keep in mind that due to the coding what ever drive you get the games and data (for now) will be locked to that drive and that WiiU. So you need to get one large enough to last you for the life of your WiiU.

You don't want to get one to small and later on find out you wasted your money and can't transfer over you MH3U data to a larger drive... NOw do you?

Get the best one now so you don't have to worry about it later.. A little more money for a better product is always the best way to go.

On that note.. Just out of curiosity why did you not spend $50 more for the WiiU delux and all the extras? just curious..
Back to top Go down
Volke
Aptonoth
Volke

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding the Wii U    Questions regarding the Wii U  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 4:42 pm

Thank you both for your thoughtful answers.

I think I may just buy an external HD now. It seems to be the best option. 2TB for $60 is a steal, btw!

It may take longer to find something like that, but I've seen several online that are quality external HD and 320gb - 500gb for $55-$60. A little more than the flash drive, but I'll pay extra for the reputability.

Thanks again. Further input would be appreciated, too!
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis
dcj91x

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding the Wii U    Questions regarding the Wii U  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 4:46 pm

What else would you Like to know? Not really much more on this subject..
Back to top Go down
Jader7777
Cephalos
Jader7777

Thank you Points : 2

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use):

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding the Wii U    Questions regarding the Wii U  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 8:19 pm

Questions regarding the Wii U  Buymef

I would suggest that you download and install the game on the WiiU's internal memory because Japanese players have confirmed that the game loads faster. Some even say it seems 3x faster in some areas.
Back to top Go down
Volke
Aptonoth
Volke

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding the Wii U    Questions regarding the Wii U  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 10:36 pm

dcj91x wrote:
What else would you Like to know? Not really much more on this subject..

I'm having a hard time finding external HDs that use a power supply, or websites that show that sort of detailed information. I shop a lot on NewEgg and haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. I'm ready to buy! =D

Ideally, something in the 320gb - 500gb range (if 1 or 2 TB cost the same then that works too, but that seems like overkill for what my needs are), that has a power supply and is around $50-$60.

Been looking on and off today for something and only found one that I think was a little too expensive.
Back to top Go down
Volke
Aptonoth
Volke

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding the Wii U    Questions regarding the Wii U  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 12:12 am

Just found my solution - thank you all for the input!

Western Digital, with an AC Plug, 160gb (which is exactly what I wanted, my PS3 is 120 and I haven't even dented that) for $30. Used, but it's coming from a workplace around town. Found on Craigslist.

Thanks again everyone!
Back to top Go down
Avoka
Kelbi

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding the Wii U    Questions regarding the Wii U  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 4:18 am

In this case, would the game loading time be slower if it's on the external HD?
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis
dcj91x

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding the Wii U    Questions regarding the Wii U  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 9:50 am

Jader, the loading speed at 3x faster is still almost un-noticeable and it would take up almost all the space on his internal WiiU memory.. So that is not recommended.
Back to top Go down
PAiN---
Rathian
PAiN---

Thank you Points : 9

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): United States

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding the Wii U    Questions regarding the Wii U  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 12:01 pm

Question: I will mainly be playing MH3U on the WiiU, is having extra memory something to have for the game? I know there will be downloadable quests but wouldnt the 32GB be enough? i'm not big on downloading a bunch of games. Will I be fine with 32GB soley for MH?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/757PAiN?feature=watch
dcj91x
Fatalis
dcj91x

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding the Wii U    Questions regarding the Wii U  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 12:26 pm

You don't HAVE to have the external drive. It's mainely for storage of save data, extra data, games, and so on... after a while the updates and stuff that are requiered on the system memory will start to fill it and over time dwmos and other things you may want to hold onto may also warrent your need for an external drive.. but you may not need it Now.

Looking around until you find a better price is always an option as well.
Back to top Go down
PAiN---
Rathian
PAiN---

Thank you Points : 9

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding the Wii U    Questions regarding the Wii U  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 12:31 pm

okay, I guess i will keep an eye on the memory until i feel i will need one!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/757PAiN?feature=watch
Volke
Aptonoth
Volke

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding the Wii U    Questions regarding the Wii U  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 3:52 pm

For anyone curious, this is the one I purchased. It is a Western Digital that has a power supply that goes into the wall, which helps prevent the Wii U from crashing (so I've been reading on the Internet)

Model #: WD1600I032-001

Questions regarding the Wii U  5870C91F-1022-40FB-90E2-41BCC10EA4B7-2963-000001844C247AC3_zpsf4f56402
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis
dcj91x

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding the Wii U    Questions regarding the Wii U  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2013 6:41 pm

Volke wrote:
For anyone curious, this is the one I purchased. It is a Western Digital that has a power supply that goes into the wall, which helps prevent the Wii U from crashing (so I've been reading on the Internet)

Questions regarding the Wii U  5870C91F-1022-40FB-90E2-41BCC10EA4B7-2963-000001844C247AC3_zpsf4f56402

Just a correction, the wiiu does not crash, the USB's just don't have their own individual power suply that dupport the heavier drives and therefore can not run them.
Back to top Go down
Hawkfriend
Jaggi
Hawkfriend

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding the Wii U    Questions regarding the Wii U  Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2013 10:03 am

Volke wrote:

(Image)

I have that same drive, works great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions regarding the Wii U    Questions regarding the Wii U  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Questions regarding the Wii U
Page 1 of 1