Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
What game started it all for you? - Page 2 Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
What game started it all for you? - Page 2 Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What game started it all for you?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Will
Rathalos
Will

Thank you Points : 45

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 'Murica

What game started it all for you? - Page 2 Empty
PostWhat game started it all for you?

Warning:If you don't want to hear my big long nostalgia story then just skip to the second part

So I was thinking back to when I was younger and what games I played/What games I loved the most and I kind of realized that my love of third person games all started when I was five and the games that I played then influenced what games i love today. When I was around 5 my mother bought my dad the first tomb raider game as a fathers day present and me, my dad, and my brothers all INSTANTLY fell in love also this was my first real video game and no matter how much i sucked at it i loved it(5 year old playing tomb raider=lots of deaths/puzzle induced rage quits). Now i later in life got a gamecube and metroid prime and I consider this to be my first exposure to an expertly done FPS game and I immediately fell in love with but later after that I got Resident Evil 4 and that became the game I have wasted the most time on. I of course now LOVE third person games and some first person games and I value single player games/ puzzling and challenging games over anything.

So my question is this, what games did you start with?, how old were you?, and do you see any direct links that might show how these games have affected your modern taste in gaming and your gaming style? i am truly interested in others stories on this.
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

What game started it all for you? :: Comments

Slyffer
Re: What game started it all for you?
Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:55 am by Slyffer
God, my memory of the time is hazy as hell, but I'm pretty sure the first game I ever played was Pokemon Red on the Gameboy 'Color'. My eldest brother had Pokemon Red, and didn't mind me playing a 'tutorial' of it (i.e. as long as I could manage in a single sitting without saving and deleting his file, needless to say, I was like 4 or so at the time, and deletions did occur). After that, I absolutely BEGGED my parents to buy me Pokemon Yellow lol (my younger older bro had Blue, and wasn't the sharing kind, so I wanted my own version), eventually they did, and I kicked that game's ass. A huge influence on my early gaming was also the Nintendo 64 (ofc), games like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Super Mario 64, Star Fox 64, F-Zero X, Hybrid Heaven and a plethora of other rented/owned games.
Quentin
Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:51 am by Quentin
When I was 7 my parents got a me a red gameboy and The Incredibles (I sold that at the first opportunity) Then at the end of second grade I heard from my friend that pokemon Emerald was coming out, intrigued I asked him and he told me all about the games (I had watched the anime religiously up until that point). So I went out and spent a years worth of allowance on it and it was the only game I played for about a year. I went through with an op blaziken who killed everyone. Then after I was done with emerald (which is still my favorite pokemon game) I received a copy of Firered for my birthday and I fell in love with that too (I love it). Truth be told I've always been primarily a handheld gamer because of that.
Axel3
Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:31 am by Axel3
I was 5, and I got The Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass.
It was so hard (but I learned my game was just glitchy), so I got New Super Mario Bros.
That game blew my mind by how fun but easy it was to play, I guess you could say This was the game that started me into the wonderful world of Video Games.
Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:45 pm by Guest
Axel3 wrote:
It was so hard (but I learned my game was just glitchy), so I got New Super Mario Bros.
That game blew my mind by how fun but easy it was to play, I guess you could say This was the game that started me into the wonderful world of Video Games.

Holy ass i was like 15 when phantom hourglass came out, it is really weird when people are having their childhood as i am in my teens LOL

I AM FEELING OLD NOW :|

but the pokemon red/blue childhood will always be the best one

Last edited by Vortiene on Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ataraxia
Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:51 pm by Ataraxia
Vortiene wrote:
Axel3 wrote:

Holy ass i was like 16 when phantom hourglass came out, it is really weird when people are having their childhood as i am in my teens LOL

Damn... I'm 15 now and that seems a long ass time ago to me... Can't even imagine how old you're feeling. xD

First game I played was Pokemon Yellow at the age of 4, kicked ass at it then, kick ass at it now.
Edsain
Post Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:13 pm by Edsain
Ataraxia wrote:
Vortiene wrote:
Axel3 wrote:

Holy ass i was like 16 when phantom hourglass came out, it is really weird when people are having their childhood as i am in my teens LOL

Damn... I'm 15 now and that seems a long ass time ago to me... Can't even imagine how old you're feeling. xD

First game I played was Pokemon Yellow at the age of 4, kicked ass at it then, kick ass at it now.

hloy fkin sheitz im the age the profile says (right) and that game has like four yrs so u must be like ten??

also it all started with saphire about twelve yrs ago and im still to beat that game (dat diamond got me holdin back a few yrs)
Sai_
Post Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:05 am by Sai_
Axel3 wrote:

I remember when hour glass came out. I can't believe its been that long already.
Slook
Post Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:21 am by Slook
My aunt gave me her old gameboy color and Pokemon Yellow back when I was 3 or so. The entire reason I actually wanted to learn how to read was so that I could understand what was happening in the game.
So, in other words, video games taught me how to read.
Ares
Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:10 am by Ares
Slook wrote:
My aunt gave me her old gameboy color and Pokemon Yellow back when I was 3 or so. The entire reason I actually wanted to learn how to read was so that I could understand what was happening in the game.
So, in other words, video games taught me how to read.

Lol, reminds me of when I had to have my uncle read the cutscenes to me in the legend of zelda OOT. Wow. He also taught me why I can't just run from all the battles in RPG's, i was so ignorant back then.
Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:14 am by Guest
my parents originally did not want me to ever play any form of video games, thus i never had the chance to learn to read by playing a video game. First time I had my own system to play games on was grade 2 I believe. I could read going into kindergarten i think...
Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:55 am by eryani
All these games are cool and i liked super mario 64 ,but the first game i have ever played was super smash bros for nintendo 64,after this ,i played the legend of zelda majoras mask it was so cool that i played it more than super smash bros.and i give my regards to u all and especially to nintendo cause iam a big fan of them! Yes by vort
Oni Zelkami
Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:12 am by Oni Zelkami
Does that mean I was 12 when I learned how to read?
Arekeon
Post Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:51 am by Arekeon
ive played every mario zelda and sonic game ever made but the game that made me started playing games obsessively was galaga and is still one of my favorite games
Ares
Post Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:39 pm by Ares
Sai_ wrote:
Axel3 wrote:

I remember when hour glass came out. I can't believe its been that long already.

never was a fan of hourglass or the other DS zelda's, the b button is a better sword than a pen...

And axel, you must be really young if a DS game was what started you out, unless you have the zelkami childhood, then it's ok!

And about the blue/red childhood... I missed that generation and started pokemon with gold. Wasn't my first game though because my parents used to think pokemon was inappropriate because of brock when i used to watch the anime on tv...

Man if they saw half the anime I watched now x.x
Blazed-GSword
Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:20 am by Blazed-GSword
Pokemon Pikachu version, I think that's yellow version, best one, you had a Pikachu follow you everywhere, I mean how could that not be awesome ?! Plus the Gameboy Color was just too cool ! :p

But also Zelda Ocarina Of Time I guess around the same time, can't really remember though, it was ages ago ^^

Edit : I think Ocarina Of Time was on the 64 but as I said can't remember that well !

Last edited by Blazed-GSword on Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot something)
laoshanicrus
Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:10 am by laoshanicrus
For me it was yellow,and mario 64,......when I was leik 8.......then pokeman diamond after months of convincing my mom to let me get it ;).......(everyone but vort has dealt with that)....then I became addicted
.......true story.
Ares
Post Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:49 pm by Ares
Vort was right, the red/blue childhood must have been the best. I got a copy of blue from my friend who didnt care because he didnt have anything to play it on.

It was a hell of time, now i think I'm gonna look for yellow and play it again.
Post Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:20 pm by Guest
Vegeta wrote:
Vort was right, the red/blue childhood must have been the best. I got a copy of blue from my friend who didnt care because he didnt have anything to play it on.

Lol the first one i actually owned was yellow as well, but i played through blue on a friend's gameboy when i was around 5-6 years of age
Ares
Post Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:56 pm by Ares
Vortiene wrote:
Vegeta wrote:

Lol the first one i actually owned was yellow as well, but i played through blue on a friend's gameboy when i was around 5-6 years of age

Lol, i played pokemon later than that, missed 1st gen completely and played gold when i was like 8 or so, kind of a late bloomer, wasnt able to pokemon my way through childhood, but i had mario untill then.

I dont remember being any good at pokemon games tbh, i only trained my starter first few times... didnt make it too far, especially since i didnt quite pick up the concept of moves, but back then i didnt really give a **** about anything but the cards and the anime.

I used to be one of those american kids who thought pokemon was american and played CoD...
Ultimate Jaggi
Post Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:52 pm by Ultimate Jaggi
First game I ever owned: Prince of Persia on the Gba.

It was a pretty fun game, then I got wii many years later. Got twilight princess and found it awesome. ;)

I actually had an n64 when I was little, but I couldn't play it because my uncle couldn't find the controller or the cables.
Phazon Xenomorph
Post Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:15 pm by Phazon Xenomorph
Metroid and Descent did it for me, and if you've never heard of Descent you better youtube and google it as it's the single best game you've never played, around the same time as doom but even then it had some of what's only becoming popular today including like dynamic lightning. Also it was a true full 360 degree action shooter that even spawned a book trilogy like the games.
Oni Zelkami
Post Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:24 pm by Oni Zelkami
/looks for gameplay

Where can I find this game, and how much money do I need to throw randomly until I get it?
Post Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:24 pm by Guest
Vegeta wrote:
then i didnt really give a **** about anything but the cards and the anime.

I used to be one of those american kids who thought pokemon was american and played CoD...

I actually can't remember a time when I wasn't an anime fan O_o
Phazon Xenomorph
Post Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:54 pm by Phazon Xenomorph
Shin Zelkami wrote:
/looks for gameplay

Where can I find this game, and how much money do I need to throw randomly until I get it?

Was that directed at me? What game? Descent? It's free these days, and the Descent Rebirth project is actually keeping it alive by keeping it able to run on the most current systems. I'll find a link...

http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/

Enjoy the best game you've never played that I grew up playing, while others were worshiping Doom as the end all of gaming Descent was breaking barriers with excellence that at the time was noticed but died out in the mid 90's.

Don't forget to change keybinds as you play till you find something comfortable. And yes Keyboard only is a playing style and works rather smoothly which you wouldn't expect, yet again Descent broke barriers.
Ares
Post Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:31 pm by Ares
Vortiene wrote:
Vegeta wrote:
then i didnt really give a **** about anything but the cards and the anime.

I actually can't remember a time when I wasn't an anime fan O_o

Hopefully i can soon forget the times i wasnt an anime fan... late blooming sucks.

You can only get rid of like 1 hour of awful CoD playing memories per 12 hours of anime.

DAMN YOU YOUNGER VERSION OF MYSELF! WHY WEREN'T YOU SMART ENOUGH TO MAKE YOUR TRI CHARACTER FEMALE!?

Come to think if it i also remember playing some croc game on the ps1 when i was a kid. Just sayin' that so i dont get accused for being off topic.

What game started it all for you?

Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next