Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Recommend A Gaming Console? Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Recommend A Gaming Console? Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Recommend A Gaming Console?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
E&Troy
Seltas Queen
E&Troy

Thank you Points : 19

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use):

Recommend A Gaming Console? Empty
PostRecommend A Gaming Console?

I wanted to try out a different gaming console other than the Wii/Wii U. My Brother has a 3DS, so no one needs to recommend that. I'd just like to see what gaming consoles people like, and what games they like from them.

Sorry if creating a thread was too much for this question.
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

Recommend A Gaming Console? :: Comments

dcj91x
Re: Recommend A Gaming Console?
Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:42 pm by dcj91x
I am not going to recomend any of the "older" consoles but I will highlite the main ones and a few of the off brands for you:

HOME GAMING

Play Station 4:

Pros:

Fast frame rate on most games, high graphics level, and lot of 3rd part support. It has well known control schems and offeres several home entertainments funtions as well. Large library of games on PSN store.

Cons:

Not backwards compatable and sometimes lacking in "exclusivity" game support though having a wide variety of 3rd party games.

XBox One

Pros

One of the best online systems out of the 3 major home console systems. Has a high "Home Entertainment" value working as a substation to conect and control many different devices. Plays many of th same games as PC's.

Cons

Still sufferes a lot of backlash from DRM scandle before release, high price, always on cameral, lots of updates and native 720p at launce not 1080p like other systems. Not backwards compatable.

WiiU

Pros

Most console exclusive games, eDRM memory not found in other systems, multiple controler options, Backwards compatable. Largest amount of indie games releases.

Cons

Low 3rd party support and few game releases.

PC

Pros

Best graphics options and widest variety of entertainment and games.

Cons

Miss out on many console exclusives, constant upgrades and high cost...

PORTABLE GAMING

Vita/not slim

Pros

Georgeos OLED screen, large display and a variety of games. PSN store offeres lots of older games to play as well. Conection to play with sever PS4 games and offeres a lot of the same gaming experiance as you would get at home.

Cons

High Memory cost... Though the slim has internal memory it drops the OLED screen which is the "BEST" feature of the PSV. But even with that you will still have to spen quite a bit of money to get a good sized (at least 32g memory card. Low amount of exclusive games at the moment though many have been announced.

3DS/xl/2ds

Pros

Lot's of systems features, lots of localised games, a huge amount of eShop games and a wide variety of games overall. Low cost SD memory. Less censoring than on previous nintendo systems.

Cons

eShop difficult to navigate to find games, lots of restrictions by nintendo. (region lock*)

iDevices/Androids

Pros

Lots of free or cheap games.

Cons

Exspensive devices, mass quick produced games, many low quality.

Ouya

Most haven't heard of this.. It's a micro console that runs the Android OS. It plays on TV's and is purely download but has many F2P's, though is quite exspensive.

These are pretty much your choices for what's on the market right now. If you are wanting the best exspeiance and can afford it.. My personal opinion is to have a PS4 for console and big name games, a 3DS and WiiU for portable, Indie games and Nintendo exclusives, and a PC for Microsoft exclusives and the power for games only a PC can provide.. and a Phone to make Phone calls.

In a perfect world though,

Sony would make the ONLY home console, Microsoft would stick with PC's and Nintendo would be Pure Handheld gaming.. and Game makers would compete against each other to make the best, high quality games they could.... But this is a dream of course.

As it is everything is subjective and opinions.. based on what you like best and how much research you put into it.

The best way to look at it for the 3 main home consoles is this, the wiiu will have the most exclusive (it always has) but wont have the major triple A 3rd party tiles the PS4/XB1 has.. The XB1 and PS4 will pretty much have the same games aside from a few exclusives here and there. The XB will have better online and the PS4 will have better graphics (as always.)

For handhelds, the Vita looks great. Honestly the 3ds can't compare screen for screen but game for game... again it depends. The Vita has many of the same games you can get on the PS4/XB1 the 3DS most of the games are ONLY ON THE 3DS and it has a huge selection. Though the Vita does have a good variety. It's just held back by the fact that all the save will be on the memory and your going to be downloading a lot of games (especially if you are a PS+ member) which means your basically buying the game anyways or more just to get enough memory for it.

I play all the systems and have most, some are easier to use than others but in the end.. it's about games isn't it? And what games you like is up to you.

* the debate on region locking could go either way. Nintendo has been the biggest supporter of game localisation and they and other gaming companies have attributed that to their region locking policies on the wiiu and 3ds.
E&Troy
Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:31 pm by E&Troy
dcj91x wrote:
I play all the systems and have most, some are easier to use than others but in the end.. it's about games isn't it? And what games you like is up to you.

I will actually get stuck playing pretty much any type of game out there. At the moment though, I'm looking for ones with an awesome storyline. Just because that's what I'm currently in the mood for.

Ones with awesome storylines often don't have as much replay value as ones like Monster Hunter (I personally found myself skipping dialogue towards the end of the game when I was playing MH3, just because I wanted to fight the monsters.). So I'm probably going to be spending a fair bit of money.

I was looking at the PS3. I'd like to here what people think of that console, as well as some of the games that they like from it (Assuming they have at least one game they like from it.).
dcj91x
Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:40 pm by dcj91x
Though you can get a great deal on the PS3/XB360 and the games.. and you'll still get games for it for the next year or so.. the problem is with the new systems out companies quit focusing on them.. like they ALWAYS DO. You can just look at the Xbox, ps2, ps1, wii, gc and so on for examples and shortly you'll have to move to the new consoles to be able to keep playing the games anyways..

Sony will likely move some of the PS3 games to the PSN store so they can be played on the ps4, and microsoft was talking about making an emulator for the xb1 like the wii one on the wiiu. Cost wise you save money by buying the new systems insted of the old systems than the new systems later..

but as far as the PS3 and to answer your question, it has quite a good library of games and many updated HD remakes recently, the FF X/X2 that came out, Dar Souls 2, Tales of Symphonia collection and many more. And as I said you can get one fairly cheap new and cheaper used.
Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:09 pm by Guest
if you want a ton of RPGs, I would go for the PS3.

it would be nice if the PS4 was backwards compatible (and im not talking about half-backwards compatible, i'm talking about putting a PS3 disk in it and it works), but its not
Oni Zelkami
Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:07 pm by Oni Zelkami
At this point, there's no reason to get a PS4 or an XBO instead of their Last-Gen counterparts. They're cheaper, have actual games available, and can still do Netflix and that kind of stuff.

If you're trying to save money go for PS3, since XboxLive can be rather pricey. If you don't care about Online, just weigh your game options.
E&Troy
Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:26 pm by E&Troy
I'm currently leaning towards a PS3. And yes, money is a problem for me. Once I get enough to get the PS3, I still have to make some more to get games for it. -_-
laoshanicrus
Post Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:11 pm by laoshanicrus
i know you said dont say 3ds,but i just like the good game selection,and the fact that you can take those games with you...epic win
dcj91x
Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:17 pm by dcj91x
Just out of curiosity.. I decided to check..

This is the amount of games for each system as of "March" of this year... For known and upcoming games.

PS3: 795 games exclusive: 150

XB360: 1,119 games exclusive: 187

3DS: 504 games (not broken down due to amount of exclusive titles)

Vita:  531 games (this however includes PSN titles available as well which are also PSP/PS1 and other non original PSV games and all games from all regions) (total hard disk games for vita only are about 200)

Wiiu: 324 games Exclusive = 47

PS4: 214 games Exclusive = 27

XB1: 152 games  Exclusive = 17
Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:38 pm by Guest
^except 60% of those are shovelware
dcj91x
Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:45 pm by dcj91x
^On just about all systems.. yes.

The exclusives are usually the best titles (usually but not always) because those are the ones made specfically for the systems and have the most time and effort put into them. So really in the end the two thing you are looking at are "exclusives" and games related to your style of gaming.. if it's block buster graphic titles, rpg's, or FPS'...
Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:48 pm by Guest
My go-to combo:

Nintendo systems for exclusives
PC for everything else (multiplatform releases, the fact 90% of microsoft releases also come out on PC...upgradable, useful for multiple things at once...)

sort of beginning to want sony's systems to play tales games though.
dcj91x
Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:02 pm by dcj91x
3DS has a new "Tales of the world" game coming out.. But yeah.. I mentioned pretty much the same thing earlier.
E&Troy
Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:39 pm by E&Troy
Vortiene wrote:

That's one of the reasons I want to get a PS3. That, plus it seemed that whenever I went to amazon or someplace looking up video games, all of the ones that looked interesting were for the PS3. Okay, not quite. But I did see quite a few that looked interesting that were for the PS3.
dcj91x
Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:50 pm by dcj91x
E&Troy wrote:
Vortiene wrote:

That's one of the reasons I want to get a PS3. That, plus it seemed that whenever I went to amazon or someplace looking up video games, all of the ones that looked interesting were for the PS3. Okay, not quite. But I did see quite a few that looked interesting that were for the PS3.

sure that's just not the only thing your looking for?

Regardless.. Once you save up for whichever system or set of games you decide on wait until after June (E3 2014). A lot of people make the mistake of buying systems before E3 during a new year (both new and old) than get disapointed when the systems get a price drop, have lots of bundles come out or lots of really good games for the newer systems that wont b on their sytem get announced. So just friendly advice and while weighing your options and saving money now is a good thing, hold off for another couple of months or so to commit.
E&Troy
Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:39 pm by E&Troy
dcj91x wrote:
E&Troy wrote:
Vortiene wrote:

sure that's just not the only thing your looking for?

Regardless.. Once you save up for whichever system or set of games you decide on wait until after June (E3 2014). A lot of people make the mistake of buying systems before E3 during a new year (both new and old) than get disapointed when the systems get a price drop, have lots of bundles come out or lots of really good games for the newer systems that wont b on their sytem get announced. So just friendly advice and while weighing your options and saving money now is a good thing, hold off for another couple of months or so to commit.

Okay. What exactly is E3?

I'm planning on getting Pandora's Tower. And I still have a game that I need to finish before that. So I should be able to easily hold out until June or whenever before getting a PS3 or whatever I decide to get.
dcj91x
Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:54 pm by dcj91x
E3 is basically the worlds largest gaming convension.. it's when all the major companies show off hteir hardware, announce the major games for the coming year and basically get all the hype trains going... it really sets the motion for how they will be marketed and veiwed in the media from 2014-2015. If they are doing price drops, hardware bundles.. and so on that's when they do it (outside the holiday) to get sales going.

This year all 3 companies have a lot riding on E3.. especially Micro and Nintendo. the xb1 and wiiu both have low sales but nintendo has the 3DS to boost profits and several major games already announced that could help.

you will also find most major game developers there showing off new games and a lot of indie developers looking for sponsers as well.

Sony may start focusing more on the PSV and PS4 which could affect the PS3 price and games so if you get one before june you may lose out on deals that could happen afterwords.

here's a bit more about E3 (Electronics Entertainment Expo) from the Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Entertainment_Expo
E&Troy
Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:15 pm by E&Troy
dcj91x wrote:
E3 is basically the worlds largest gaming convension.. it's when all the major companies show off hteir hardware, announce the major games for the coming year and basically get all the hype trains going... it really sets the motion for how they will be marketed and veiwed in the media from 2014-2015. If they are doing price drops, hardware bundles.. and so on that's when they do it (outside the holiday) to get sales going.

This year all 3 companies have a lot riding on E3.. especially Micro and Nintendo. the xb1 and wiiu both have low sales but nintendo has the 3DS to boost profits and several major games already announced that could help.

you will also find most major game developers there showing off new games and a lot of indie developers looking for sponsers as well.

Sony may start focusing more on the PSV and PS4 which could affect the PS3 price and games so if you get one before june you may lose out on deals that could happen afterwords.

here's a bit more about E3 (Electronics Entertainment Expo) from the Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Entertainment_Expo

Will this also effect it if I buy it off Ebay?
dcj91x
Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:20 pm by dcj91x
It could.. lower prices or it may even affect your decision on what console you get.

Last edited by dcj91x on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
E&Troy
Post Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:12 pm by E&Troy
dcj91x wrote:
It could.. lower prices or it may even affect you decision on waiting on a console.

Okay. Well, regardless, I probably won't get any consoles till then anyway. Just because of money issues. :D
Ares
Post Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:38 pm by Ares
If it plays Dark Souls 2 it's good enough.
MHWF
Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:09 pm by MHWF
^ ehhh. Buying a system for one game isn't a smart move, regardless how good it is. 

Seaga Master System had Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished, but I wouldn't suggest getting one just for that.
Oni Zelkami
Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:55 pm by Oni Zelkami
There's absolutely no reason to do that anymore since a better version is much more readily available of PC and PSP.
dcj91x
Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:07 pm by dcj91x
psp?.. I think you're confused.

Though it was a decent systen back in the day you know sony has droped it pretty much now and soon no more games will be made for it.. in fact are any new games being made for it now?
Oni Zelkami
Post Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:25 pm by Oni Zelkami
I'm not saying he should buy a PSP (Although he should, it has plenty of great games) I was just noting that if you wanted to play the original Ys game, there are better ways of doing it other than attempting to find a working SMS. A system, for which support also happens to be dropped.
Post  by Sponsored content

Recommend A Gaming Console?

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next