Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Some switch axe questions... Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Some switch axe questions... Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Some switch axe questions...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Gaelstrom
Kelbi

Thank you Points : 0

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code: 3437 4146 7816
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): United States

Some switch axe questions... Empty
PostSubject: Some switch axe questions...   Some switch axe questions... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2015 2:20 am

Some of the dialogue in the game (I can't remember which exact line of dialogue... ) seems to suggest that, without a power phial, the weapon's raw damage is better in axe mode?

Next, I noticed that Barbarian Axe's element number is greyed out, while say, the pecospander's isn't. There's also the Assault axe and the Grim's cat is similar, assault's is grey, while grim cat's is bright.
After screwing around with the Barbarian axe and the Pecospander, I assume when the number's greyed out, it's element is only active during sword mode, but when it's bright, it's element works in both modes? (It's just stronger in sword mode.)

Is that the case?
Back to top Go down
Hermz
Kecha Wacha
Hermz

Thank you Points : 27

3DS friends code: 1177-7813-4605

PostSubject: Re: Some switch axe questions...   Some switch axe questions... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2015 2:46 am

Hey Gaelstrom! That's a really good question, and hopefully, this answer will suffice! ^^

Okay, so the greyed out Elemental numbers are the "Hidden" Element if that weapon. Every weapon class has weapons with Hidden Element, other than Heavy and Light Bowguns. Bright numbers just mean that that is the weapons elemental damage/status. Switch Axes, if they have an elemental phial and a greyed out element, it will do elemntal damage, only in Sword Mode. And, like you said, if the weapon has bright numbers, it does it in both modes. Now, if you were to have an armor set with "Free Element", your weapons will do the elemental/status that is greyed out all the time.

I really hope this helped you out, my friend. So, good luck, and happy hunting! ^^
Back to top Go down
http://rgnkgaming.forumotion.com/
N1GH7M4R3
Rhenoplos
N1GH7M4R3

Thank you Points : 2

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3ds
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Some switch axe questions...   Some switch axe questions... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 09, 2015 1:42 am

I should add that: yes, raw is stronger in Axe mode when not using a Power Phial-equipped weapon.
Back to top Go down
Gaelstrom
Kelbi

PostSubject: Re: Some switch axe questions...   Some switch axe questions... Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2015 12:37 am

Thank you my good fellows, your shared knowledge shall be put to good use! If I don't screw things up that is!
Back to top Go down
N1GH7M4R3
Rhenoplos
N1GH7M4R3

Thank you Points : 2

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3ds
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Some switch axe questions...   Some switch axe questions... Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2015 9:37 pm

Gaelstrom wrote:
Thank you my good fellows, your shared knowledge shall be put to good use! If I don't screw things up that is!

You'll do fine!
Back to top Go down
Gaelstrom
Kelbi

PostSubject: Re: Some switch axe questions...   Some switch axe questions... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 7:44 pm

Okay, one last switch axe question, and, one more general question.

First, what kind of damage does the phial burst do?

And second, what's better for part breaking? Raw damage, or elemental?
Back to top Go down
E&Troy
Seltas Queen
E&Troy

Thank you Points : 19

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use):

PostSubject: Re: Some switch axe questions...   Some switch axe questions... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 7:59 pm

Gaelstrom wrote:

I can't answer your first question.

Your second question, however, I can answer (Somewhat).

When you gave the options for raw or elemental, then I assumed you were talking about the Phials. Power/Raw phail is going to do a better job at breaking monster parts. Element phial might be better if your weapon has a high amount of elemental damage, plus if the monster part you are trying to break is really weak to that element.

Since elemental phials would be very situational, I'd most likely go with Power. That, plus maybe a Brachydios S.Axe, as that blast breaks parts pretty well.
Back to top Go down
Gaelstrom
Kelbi

PostSubject: Re: Some switch axe questions...   Some switch axe questions... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 8:07 pm

E&Troy wrote:
Gaelstrom wrote:

I can't answer your first question.

Your second question, however, I can answer (Somewhat).

When you gave the options for raw or elemental, then I assumed you were talking about the Phials. Power/Raw phail is going to do a better job at breaking monster parts. Element phial might be better if your weapon has a high amount of elemental damage, plus if the monster part you are trying to break is really weak to that element.

Since elemental phials would be very situational, I'd most likely go with Power. That, plus maybe a Brachydios S.Axe, as that blast breaks parts pretty well.

Actually, for the second question, I meant , weapons in general, not just the switch axe.
Back to top Go down
E&Troy
Seltas Queen
E&Troy

Thank you Points : 19

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use):

PostSubject: Re: Some switch axe questions...   Some switch axe questions... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 15, 2015 11:16 pm

If that's the case, then just go for raw + blast element (Or status, or whatever you might refer to it as.).
Back to top Go down
TKMT
Seltas
TKMT

Thank you Points : 12

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): North America, U.S.

PostSubject: Re: Some switch axe questions...   Some switch axe questions... Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 1:58 am

Gaelstrom wrote:

1st question:
iirc, the Axe's Burst phial does unaspected damage, as in... It does damage, but it's not cutting damage nor is it technically impact damage. Just pure damage, based on the cutting damage defense zone you're hitting.(both raw and elemental[if it has element]).

Second: It depends where you're hitting.
Diablos' head is weaker to ice compared to cutting damage, so element may be better to break that horn. But Blast is your best bet for breaking body parts. Use partbreaker for helping break body parts.
Overall, it's usually raw damage that helps break parts as Element is usually just bonus damage.

Also, Element doesn't help slice off monster tails. Only Raw cutting damage cuts tails off.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some switch axe questions...   Some switch axe questions... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some switch axe questions...
Page 1 of 1