Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Official English Names Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Official English Names Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Official English Names

Go down 
+12
Ataraxia
TKMT
Lucas
Amaku
Antari18
MHWF
Shiera
Lalo
Yuki
DanielisAwesome52
Bidoof
Tomderdepp
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tomderdepp
Seltas
Tomderdepp

Thank you Points : 15

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): EU

Official English Names Empty
PostSubject: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 3:33 am

On the MH facebook page they just announced the english names for the Insect Monsters Aruserutasu and Generu Serutasu in the westeren (at least english) version they are gonna be called Seltas and Seltas Queen.

i made this thread to discuss the namechanges and share other ones when they are anounced.

To be honest i don't like the english names
Back to top Go down
Bidoof
Aptonoth
Bidoof

Thank you Points : 0

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use):

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 3:48 am

I actually like the English names for them.

Also not sure if it's been posted anywhere else but here are more English names for monsters (via Kogath);

- Amphibian species will stay as Amphibian
- Tigrex Subspecies is now known as Brute Tigrex
- Infected Tigrex is now known as Frenzied Tigrex
- The “Feral Wyvern Virus” has been localized to Frenzy Virus!
- "Felyne Comrades" have been localized as Palicoes (a mixture of the word Pal and Calico, a type of cat). The reason behind this was due to character space limits for menus.

Back to top Go down
DanielisAwesome52
Cephalos
DanielisAwesome52

Thank you Points : 4

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): USA

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 4:32 am

From what I know of how Japanese names get translated, when they are direct transliterations (the best kinds) R sounds get turned to Ls, J to Z, etc

So Seltas is actually spot on to Serutasu, same with Tetsukabura into Tetsucabra. and Aruserutasu and Generu Serutasu both share that serutasu base name

I love the fact that the names are getting transliterated rather than changed into things like Nibelsnarf when it could have stayed Hapurubokka, or made into Boccovore, or something
Back to top Go down
Tomderdepp
Seltas
Tomderdepp

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 6:54 am

one reason i don't like them being called seltas is also because there was a german brand of soda water called Selters (and in norther germany sodawater is still often called selterwater), I'm not from that region but you hear it every now and then. so I'd have liked Serutasu better.
and they usually don't change the names from the english to german versions except for attributes like great, royal,...

Palicoes i think i might get used to it sometime

Frenzy Virus isn't that bad, just hoping they don't f*** up the german version too much
Back to top Go down
Yuki
Rajang
Yuki

Thank you Points : 20

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 3ds
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 9:54 am

I prefer frenzy virus over feral wyvern virus just because it is too vague a name. An animal in the wild is considered feral so does it affect wyverns in the wild or does it make things act more wild and out of control seeing as it can even affect hunters/huntresses
Back to top Go down
Lalo
Gore Magala
Lalo

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): Not yours for sure

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 8:52 pm

At least they hadn't put a "nibblesnarf" on us yet
Back to top Go down
Shiera
Rathian
Shiera

Thank you Points : 44

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2014 10:24 am

I love the change to Frenzy Virus. Makes me think of the Rage Virus from 28 Days Later.
Back to top Go down
Bidoof
Aptonoth
Bidoof

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title:

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2014 5:02 am

more from kogath

Nerusukyura is now Nerscylla

Zaboazarigu is now Zamtrios

Garara Ajara is now Najarala
Back to top Go down
MHWF
MHWikiForums
MHWF

Thank you Points : 31

3DS friends code: 4468-1021-0797
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): US

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2014 10:14 am

It seems they have taken the naming and.. dislike of names from 3U more to heart this go round. Also it seems they have realized that many who play MH don't actually mind the Japanese styled names. The character limitations is understandable and makes sense, as does them keeping "most" of the translated names sounding close to the Japanese names, I am sure some of the names are difficult as stated by Tom is that with it being a multiregion release in the West you have many different areas where the same word could mean many different things.. "After" for example.. And getting the game approved in some countries (I won't name Germany) is more difficult than others because of missunderstandings in tese areas.

"Frenzy Virus" is a good addition because it keeps it from sounding too much like being a zombie virus and more like Rabies?? I guess and as Yuki said feral here just means a wild animal.
Back to top Go down
https://mhwiki.forumotion.net
Antari18
Seltas Queen
Antari18

Thank you Points : 9

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2014 9:34 pm

I don't mind all translations mentioned above, outside of Brute Tigrex (should be Crimson...) and "Frenzy", which I just can't stand. "Feral" sounds way better imho and it's easier to understand and remember by new and veterans players. It had a good chance to make its way to game slang/language, while "frenzy" will probably be easily dropped after release and forgotten in the process. It's way too hard to type, very easy to make a typo, so people will probably just said "virus los" or "infected los".

Either way after the release as always people will name them like they want to. It'll be all "los", "bari", "ala", etc. Seltas will be "sel" or "tas".

I know I'm in minority with this point of view the same as with the anti-Nibelsnarf movement, which I'm not supporting at all. Snarf is fine by all means in my book. Harpu is nice too, but full name is just ridiculous by western standards. I got a feeling people don't like translations because they got used to japanese names (in most cases).
Back to top Go down
http://gbforever.net
DanielisAwesome52
Cephalos
DanielisAwesome52

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2014 10:51 pm

Has the west gotten the Black Tigrex? I mean we've only had Tigrex in Freedom Unite right?

I didn't see the articles naming the Brute Tigrex but if its the name of the black subspecies I think it fits better, and even if it is for the Red one that does Blast it fits with the other monster that did Slime/Blast who was a Brute Wyvern

**edit** Just looked on the Wiki, Brute is the Black Subspecies not the Red, who was introduced in Portable 3rd (and then removed for 3U which is why I've never fought one, subspecies or not)

My issue with Nibelsnarf was the fact that it was the ONLY monster to get a dumb translation, and unlike Gobul and Gobble which sound monstrous, nibble sound adorable and cutesy of which monsters shouldn't be and I've associated snarf not with the action (which still sound cutesy) but the really annoying character from Thundercats

Last edited by DanielisAwesome52 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : found new/confirmed info)
Back to top Go down
Antari18
Seltas Queen
Antari18

Thank you Points : 9

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeFri Jul 04, 2014 6:49 am

Oh my bad man, I thought Brute Tigrex = red/crimson Tigrex. I actually didn't know Black one was in the game o.O
Back to top Go down
http://gbforever.net
Bidoof
Aptonoth
Bidoof

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title:

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 1:03 am

Nerusukyura is now Nerscylla

Zaboazarigu is now Zamtrios

Garara Ajara is now Najarala
Back to top Go down
Tomderdepp
Seltas
Tomderdepp

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 6:41 am

blast is now offically confirmed as the new name for slime
Back to top Go down
Amaku
Bnahabra
Amaku

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 2:41 pm

Blast effect? Blast status? Blast attribute? I liked Slime better.
Back to top Go down
Lucas
Rathalos
Lucas

Thank you Points : 63

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Generations

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 3:11 pm

Amaku wrote:

Yes, Blast is a status. How did you even come up with 'effect' and 'attribute' ....
Back to top Go down
DanielisAwesome52
Cephalos
DanielisAwesome52

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 11:51 pm

Blast opens up more possibilities, slime is limited to slime secreting monsters, but now things like Red Tigrex, Dara Amadyura, and maybe Testucabra Subspecies, can have the attribute/status/element without limiting their designs

Red Tigrex releases gases that explode rather than a slime, and from the looks of it Tetsu can create exploding boulders although that may be an attribute of its environment like the Uragaans. And Dara just creates explosions, like lasers and huge balls of energy.
Back to top Go down
TKMT
Seltas
TKMT

Thank you Points : 12

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): North America, U.S.

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 3:11 am

DanielisAwesome52 wrote:
From what I know of how Japanese names get translated, when they are direct transliterations (the best kinds) R sounds get turned to Ls, J to Z, etc

So Seltas is actually spot on to Serutasu, same with Tetsukabura into Tetsucabra. and Aruserutasu and Generu Serutasu both share that serutasu base name

I love the fact that the names are getting transliterated rather than changed into things like Nibelsnarf when it could have stayed Hapurubokka, or made into Boccovore, or something
I still wonder why people prefer Jinouga to Zinogre...
Back to top Go down
Tomderdepp
Seltas
Tomderdepp

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 4:57 am

DanielisAwesome52 wrote:
Blast opens up more possibilities, slime is limited to slime secreting monsters, but now things like Red Tigrex, Dara Amadyura, and maybe Testucabra Subspecies, can have the attribute/status/element without limiting their designs

Red Tigrex releases gases that explode rather than a slime, and from the looks of it Tetsu can create exploding boulders although that may be an attribute of its environment like the Uragaans. And Dara just creates explosions, like lasers and huge balls of energy.

teostra now can inflict blasbight too. with his claw swipe and when whiping his tail to the ground
Back to top Go down
Ataraxia
Rajang
Ataraxia

Thank you Points : 33

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): England

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 9:42 am

Fairly sure most if not all romaji names are pronounced the same as their english counterparts, unless the name has been changed for whatever reason since the japanese/romaji names were released. I know for a fact that its the same for Jinouga/Zinogre.

Us English speaking people are so dumb sometimes
Back to top Go down
DanielisAwesome52
Cephalos
DanielisAwesome52

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 10:29 am

That Jinouga/Zinogre things is why I like the transliterations and the new names so much better
Back to top Go down
Amaku
Bnahabra
Amaku

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2014 3:57 pm

Lucas wrote:
Amaku wrote:

Yes, Blast is a status. How did you even come up with 'effect' and 'attribute' ....

Just trying to make it sound cooler then it should be..
Back to top Go down
Phazon Xenomorph
Admin
Phazon Xenomorph

Thank you Points : 97

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 5:51 am

I for one hate some of those english names. They sound more spanish than anything...also Palicos? really? The excuse they have no room is bullshit, Freedom Unite had room and that was a smaller screen PSP, The 3ds (xl especially, which like..everyone has and if you dont well thats your problem) has TWO bigger screens.

Very disappointed.
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis
dcj91x

Thank you Points : 284

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): US

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 12:22 pm

^ no.. not everyone has and they try to make it fair to evryone which is rather considerate of them. Also no matter what they name something not everyone will be happy, I mean Rathalos?? Really?

I give them credit overall, considering they have to keep in mind all the different western regions they have to keep in mind and all the different "slang" they have to work around to get the game aproved for each country without having to change the game and have difernt names in every city/state/county just to make it suit everyone. If they did that, we'd never get the game I mean ***** all of that work .. wait sorry I bleped out the word "after"...

Anyways I think you get my point. It takes a lot of work to come up with the translations of names they do and though not all of them are that freat at least they are better in 4U than in 3/3U. And Nova, comenting on what you said about the "Spanish" sounding names, it makes sense IMO. Spanish is technically the most spoken language in the western world and highly accepted. Using more names leaning towards that leads to a less lickely chance of words that are missinterpruted as something else. Overall the thought putinto this set of monsters so far is well done.
Back to top Go down
Will
Rathalos
Will

Thank you Points : 45

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 'Murica

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2014 2:18 pm

Tomderdepp wrote:
DanielisAwesome52 wrote:

teostra now can inflict blasbight too. with his claw swipe and when whiping his tail to the ground
Also crimson fatalis can inflict blast blight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Official English Names   Official English Names Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Official English Names
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next