Monster Hunter Wiki Forum
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Great Sword mechanic changes - Page 2 Logo311
Welcome to the Monster Hunter Wiki Forum!
Great Sword mechanic changes - Page 2 Logo311
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Monster Hunter Information and Talk (What are you Hunting?)

Get ConnectedHomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Great Sword mechanic changes

Go down 
+5
mrpogo
dcj91x
Ares
Lucas
Antari18
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Antari18
Seltas Queen
Antari18

Thank you Points : 9

Monster Hunter Information
3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): 8

Great Sword mechanic changes - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 17, 2013 10:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

So i came across this little video showing something which i never saw earlier. Infinite sword-slap combo with GS?

Spoiler:

Can anyone put some insight about this? Is it some sort of hack/glitch or legal new GS combo? If so it'll add a lot of mobility to this weapon.

Also i really hate that literally everyone focus almost entirely on new weapons, namely Insect Staff and Charge Axe, rather than put some light on changes to the old weapons like my main - GS. Despite the fact that the game is released for some time now, it's so hard to find anything about older weapons...
Back to top Go down
http://gbforever.net

AuthorMessage
Warruz
Kelbi
Warruz

Thank you Points : 0

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 9:38 pm

Perhaps it might be worth piecing together such a video, would be just a case of trying to find a video with the moves.
Back to top Go down
Tomderdepp
Seltas
Tomderdepp

Thank you Points : 15

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): EU

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 2:59 am

Antari18 wrote:
I'm dying to see such vid but after a bit of reaserch, nothing pop up.

I guess everyone's just too busy doing more important stuff like testing new weapons, doing the same playthroughs with new weapons etc. And it has always been like that. Unless some japanese players make it, no one will from western players. There're few dedicated players out there who of course got copy of 4, but all they do is useless playthroughs with the same weapons, uninspired armors with random skills etc. I wonder why they do that?

i think social dissonance made a playthrough with every weapon on every monster.you could try to look it up there
Back to top Go down
Antari18
Seltas Queen
Antari18

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 11:16 am

Playthtough with every weapon on every monster doesn't change anything. It's pretty much useless as those countless Playthroughs with bug staff and Charge Axe.

The point of such video is to highlight usage differences of weapons between old and new generation. 20 min vid will be probably enough to cover all of them. Seperate video for 2 new ones. Really hard stuff to make. Assuming they main few weapons in previous installments, mechanic changes should be noticeable on the first glance. It's too much to ask in 4 months peroid.
Back to top Go down
Tomderdepp
Seltas
Tomderdepp

Thank you Points : 15

3DS friends code:
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): EU

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 11:39 am

I haven't seen the vids yet (at least not all) but social dissonance usually does ususlly analyse or at least talk about stuff like that. pretty sure he does mention most of the changes somewhere in the vids.
and what warruz was talking about is making a summarized version on his own. or at least something compareable...
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis
dcj91x

Thank you Points : 284

3DS friends code:
Primary MH Title: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate WiiU
Country of Origin (for connection Speed use): US

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 12:22 pm

Though I main in Bow's in 3U and use every weapon regulary GS' have always been my weapon throughout MH. One thing about it compared to most other weapons is the learning curve. Like Hammers it has a great potential for damage and if you know how to use it its not as slow as most people use it.

this first video is 3U:

as you can see this playe shows how quick overall a GS can be used with the dodge and different attacks. People sometimes forget that the dodge actually cuts the animations on the GS short allowing you to stop them and attack sooner in some cases.

This is one of the few... and i mean very few videos of someone using a GS in MH4 I could find:

If you notice though... overall the swings actually look slightly faster in MH4 over 3U, same with the sheathing... If I recall (and those with MH can confirm this) I think sheathing was improved on all weapons.

If someone can find better MH4 GS video that would be great but the point is GS like all MH weapons really depend on "who" is using it. They can be quicker or slower to some exstent based on the level of skill of the player with that weapon, though "yes" weapons will always play a factor so too will the player using that weapon. You have someone really skilled with a GS using a really good GS and someone with a really good Dual Blade who is skilled with those... they will equal out in the end on damage defence and really overall speed of attacks "FOR THE MOST PART" give or take. but switch those weapons up and put them in unskilled hands.. and they both suck...

But lets go back to "mobility" this always comes up. as I pointed out in 4 this has changed a bit.. Again it's about how you use the GS.. Mobility like many things are relative. The GS is a Very mobile weapon while attacking. In fact it forces you to move and as stated using the dodge cuts animation short and heck swinging it forces you to move. You can use this to your advantage to stay mobile with the GS and avoid some hits. In fact Blocking smaller creatures can push you and with time can actually put outside of some hit zones if timed correctly.

The main thing with any weapon is knowing it and knowing how to use it to your advantage in any situation.. you also have to know each monster and how the weapon works with each monster.

The changes done to monsters and the GS on 4 actually help the GS quite a bit making it quicker and more agile than before. but again like all weapons they have their advantages and limitations.. That's why there is a variety to choose from and we all have our own play style.

and because we all want it:

Back to top Go down
Antari18
Seltas Queen
Antari18

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 2:34 pm

@first video: He has equiped Quick Sheath skill, that's why sheath animation is taking less time.

I'm not huge fan of icemannoob videos, he thinks of himself too high and objectively present pretty much no skill in this game. Random skills, uninspired sets and lack of basic knowledge. He even disabled comments under all of his videos to prevent people negative (rational) feedback.

There're few skilled japanese players who put GS in MH4 stuff regularly on YT. I really appreciate when someone has this one dedicated weapon of choice and use it through whole series.

You can gather some new info from their videos, but the actual video compilation of MH4 weapon mechanic changes compared to third gen is still absent.

From the first video you can also learn that slime explosions seem to lose ability to flinch monster.
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis
dcj91x

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 2:41 pm

^ Appreciate the videos.. I looked just couldn't find any..

They are a good example of the dodge to cut the animation and attack that I was talking about earlier.
Back to top Go down
Antari18
Seltas Queen
Antari18

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 2:54 pm

The most dissapointing thing for me is that the slime GS is not as good as it used to be in 3U. Lack of flinch ability with slime explosions, low slime element on Brachy GS. Only tigrex sub GS has good amount of slime but requires Awaken. Looks like we're back to old raw definition of GS.

Intresting thing is, that many jap players are using status excavation GS, mainly Sleep (I saw few vids with also Para). Not sure why they're not farming slime or element ones, maybe they're super hard to get or even impossible?
Back to top Go down
dcj91x
Fatalis
dcj91x

3DS friends code:

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 04, 2014 3:05 pm

not sure. never used status GS' that much maybe they are boosted in MH4?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Great Sword mechanic changes   Great Sword mechanic changes - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Great Sword mechanic changes
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2